Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times

Advertisements

are you from houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
You might think about adding Boston to your list.Boston and Cambridge and the whole Boston metro area has a huge Pakistani,Indian population and they are mostly people who went there for their education and have stayed in the educational,technology,biotechnology and medical industries, which are the backbone of Boston's economy.
Actually,Boston is probably better than either NYC or Washington if you are looking for a highly educated professional class of people.NY has lots of Pakistani's and Indians but I am not sure they work in the same kinds of industries.Boston is also a much easier place to socialize with and meet people than either NY or DC.The cultural/educational atmosphere that permeates the city provides lots of social opportunities outside of bars/clubs.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desichickny View Post
Thanks for your response. I am moving from TX and there is nobody here
Wtf??!! Where are you hanging out? Sounds like you need to hook up with the North Texas India Association or something of the like. There are thousands of Indian people here, including young men in medicine, the tech field, law, etc.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 26,690 times
Im hanging out at the right places...I guess I just have high standards. Yes I am from Houston and I have a masters degree...so I don't want some guy in Texas who has an associates degree and owns a couple of cell phone store or a gas station. I feel like the more educated refined ones are already taken or have moved somewhere else. Trust me ive tried and I am a very decent looking female.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desichickny View Post
Im hanging out at the right places...I guess I just have high standards. Yes I am from Houston and I have a masters degree...so I don't want some guy in Texas who has an associates degree and owns a couple of cell phone store or a gas station. I feel like the more educated refined ones are already taken or have moved somewhere else. Trust me ive tried and I am a very decent looking female.
1) High standards means that you are picky and that is your #1 problem anywhere including in NYC.
2) Another alternative you may want to consider, is San Jose and the surrounding bay area, inhabited by a gazillion Pakistani and Indian engineers.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Are you one of those indian girls looking for that doctor sugar daddy? Won't healthcare reform hurt your plans?

associates degree?! Are those guys down there gujjus or pakis fresh off the boat? Any other kids would get beaten to death with just an associates degree.

maybe, i should head to houston if that's my competition...

Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 26,690 times
hahaha hilarious!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 PM

by the way, you don't happen to read anything from the clay sanskrit library do u? NYU press publishes their works.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,736 times
I didn't think DC's desi community was that huge. Obviously NY's is larger. Also New Yorkers tend to get married a little older in life on the whole, so that may be a plus. So if it's down to those two cities I'd say New York.

As to the North Jersey suggestion: not for singles. The Indian community in Edison is primarily married with children. That's where you go after you've worked your way up the ladder and want to live the American dream. Journal Square in Jersey City is too F.O.B-- you'll have 6 guys living in a 2 bedroom apartment on bunk beds working for an engineering firm and sending money home-- if she's seeking "educated refined" I don't think this is what she's looking for.

As a single girl I'd say she should go for Queens or Manhattan, if a guy who owns a cell phone store isn't her speed.

Last edited by passdoubt; 04-13-2010 at 07:57 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 08:31 PM

747 posts, read 2,757,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
As to the North Jersey suggestion: not for singles. The Indian community in Edison is primarily married with children
That may be true, but often it is this 'community' which is doing the introductions if not all-out matchmaking. At least that was the case with my friend (Stern MBA, working on wall st) who met most prospects and eventually his future wife through friends & family in Edison and Metuchen.

I'd suggest both NYC and Boston/Cambridge over DC, but it would help to go wherever she already knows some people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City