Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 34,203 times

Advertisements

what are some of the basic needs that an apartment should have? I am trying to find an apartment, but not sure if we need those. Also, how about laundry room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 06:58 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
I would say you would definitely need an AC for the summer. It can get REALLY, REALLY hot here in NYC and the apartments can totally steam up, so that would be wise. As for a heater, its not totally necessary since most apartments in NYC crank up the radiators. On the same token, some apartments can get very chilly so a small little heater won't be so bad.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
get a small heater for the winter many landlords are CHEAP and getting Cheaper with the Rise in Oil prices.......A/C you BETTER HAVE A A/C lol laundry its great if your building or unit has one but there are several in every hood some will do pick up and delivery and will wash dry an fold for you.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:04 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
It is good to have a small electric heater as sometimes in the fall it is necessary before the landlord turns on the heating systems for the season.
It is possible to live without an AC if you have a fan and a corner apt. with a good cross flow of air (meaning several windows) as long as there is no extreme heatwave.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:55 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
I would never live here without A/C. Mine's been on for part of the last two days.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 PM

199 posts, read 521,340 times
I would definitely recommend an air conditioner. Absolutely.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
One thing to note is that the apartment may not have its own air conditioners. Some have through the wall units built-in, but many older buildings do not, so you will need to purchase your own window unit(s). In some buildings, you can do this yourself, but others require the use of the superintentdent, or qualified installer to make sure that the unit is properly secured.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
Yeah let the super do it.. I know in my building there were certain brackets that had to be installed. Also if your on a high floor with a ac that is heavy and YOU drop it..or it gets lose and falls out the window...YOUR IN SERIOUS TROUBLE..but if the build super does it's not your responsibilty fact I got my Landlord to sign a form that his staff was installing my A/C's . There were a few incidents in NYC were a/cs have fallen out of windows for not being installed corrrectly and I know of of incident where a passerby was killed...

Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,623 times
I would srongly suggest having air conditioning. I tried last night to sleep without it, woke up at 3am drenched, turned it on, went back to bed. slept well. NYC gets very hot and HUMID in the summer, you will need it, or find yourself wishing you had one.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I would recommend a window unit a/c in your bedroom at a minimum. A small space heater for your bedroom is also good to have incase your room is drafty/does not get as warm, or if you pay for your own heat you can turn down the heat at night and just heat your room. It would be nice to have laundry in your apt but this is very rare, and its not that common to have laundry in the building. If that's the case, just make sure the laundromat is within a couple blocks and they do drop-off service in case you are in a rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City