Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:21 PM

16 posts, read 27,980 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to moving to NY in 3 weeks!! I was sitting here eating some ice cream and suddenly wondered, how much will I be spending on groceries every month in NY compared to here in Virginia?

For example, I can buy a carton of eggs for 2.99 at Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's is much less expensive than Whole Foods here. At WF, they would cost 3.99.

Here's another: at another local supermarket, I can buy a 4 pack of organic chicken breasts for about $10-11.

I'm very picky about where my food comes from (I try to eat organic when at all possible).

Are the prices comparable? How much do you spend a month on groceries (NOT including eating out - straight groceries)?

Thanks, guys/gals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:24 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
family of 4 = about $300 every 2 months....costco works wonders

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-02-2010, 06:24 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
depends..i myself shop at trader joes but, every trader joe had different prices. The Trader Joe in Queens has different prices then the TJ in Manhattan. Its like that with every shop even if its the same Store.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
family of 4 = about $300 every 2 months....costco works wonders

is there like one Costco in LIC that is not convient. also you have to be a member and buy bulk items. Great if you have a big family and a car.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM

you can look into Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Old 05-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
is there like one Costco in LIC that is not convient. also you have to be a member and buy bulk items. Great if you have a big family and a car.
im not sure what you're trying to say, or if you're asking me a question, but i am a member, and i have a car so it works out for me. $50 a year for membership.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Chichappens - thanks for the incredible link to localharvest.org!! I am so excited about the farmer's markets!!

I will only be buying groceries for me, so it's nice to know that a family of 4 can eat so cheaply. I love coupons, so right now, I can eat primarily organic for about $250/month (including a few bottles of good, cheap wine).

I don't think I'll be able to get to a costco since everything comes in packs of like 36 or 5 gallons, and I won't have a car!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
im not sure what you're trying to say, or if you're asking me a question, but i am a member, and i have a car so it works out for me. $50 a year for membership.

ROFLMAO...lol I believe there is ONLY ONE COSTCO, in LIC that is not convenient for everyone and with that location getting to and returning with BULK items you need a car.........most of nyers dont have cars. and the cost of going there by car adds up to fuel etc. then you have to be a member..... The OP mentioned they are picky about their food and like Organic and I dont equate COSTCO as being a Organic Grocer..CAPEACHE

Old 05-02-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
ROFLMAO...lol I believe there is ONLY ONE COSTCO, in LIC that is not convenient for everyone and with that location getting to and returning with BULK items you need a car.........most of nyers dont have cars. and the cost of going there by car adds up to fuel etc. then you have to be a member..... The OP mentioned they are picky about their food and like Organic and I dont equate COSTCO as being a Organic Grocer..CAPEACHE
oh well i just answered in repsonse to what is cheap..to my knowledge organic food isnt cheap.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Hey chichappens - do you shop at the farmer's markets? If so, do you prefer them over places like Trader Joes? Are they cheaper or more expensive?

I feel like I would get more variety at a nice sized farmer's market than TJ's - but that's just an assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City