Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,131 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I will be moving to NY from Chicago at the end of the year. My income will be 50k. Hers will be about 20k.

Here are some factors:
Studio, 1 bedroom, i don't care
I'm looking at spending around 1200 a month for rent
We would like to live in a young area
No Rats or Roaches (Had a terrible apartment here with giant rats stealing my crap)
Very close to trains
Safe - I don't expect doorman safe, but not gangland. Comparable to Wicker Park or Logan Square in Chicago.

SOOO, can anybody help us with our options? We hear Williamsburg is cool, but I imagine that means that the rent prices are going to be crazy. I see some things on the upper west side of Manhattan...How's that?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
In general you will not find a studio larger than a 10 x 20 room south of Harlem for anywhere near $1,200 a month. And in Harlem or further North in Manhattan, you will not find anything decent either, although you may find something larger than 10 x20, it won't be $1,200.

With that budget you can also forget about much of the nicer areas in Brooklyn too (so forget about Williamsburg). Depending where you will be working, you should be looking at a large swath of the Bronx, or some areas in way East Brooklyn or Queens. The reality is you should be looking in the Bronx, and you will find plenty of nicely renovated/new spacious one bedrooms in middle class areas. If you want immediate proximity to Manhattan, and a gritty urban landscape, you should take a look at Mott Haven/South Bronx, as that too is in your budget.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,131 times
Ok Thanks. I hadn't really considered the Bronx.

My main tool for finding something has been HotPads, since it gives me a nice little overlay. What's the deal with most of these? It looks like there are some around my range, but I guess I can't trust these tools too much. Click for the map Im lookin at

Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I don't know anything about that site, however I have found much of the advertised deals on websites to be bogus/bait -and -switch, so beware. Nevertheless, you never know..you could find something, but in Manhattan it will no doubt be somewhere you don't want to be.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Astoria. It fits your budget, has a large-enough young demographic to be readily apparent, and is very convenient to Manhattan.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
One thing to remember is that neighborhood descriptions can be misleading in real estate ads. It's not uncommon to try to sell something as the UWS that's actually in a different neighborhood, patrolled by a different police precinct, and with an entirely different demographic mix. $1200 on the UWS, if it's truly on the UWS, sounds like a 1BR share in an apartment, not a true 1BR (and not a top-notch 2BR on the UWS, either). Some roommate services advertise on sites, too, which can also make it appear as though it's a 1BR apartment, but in reality is one room, sharing the rest of the apartment with 1-2 others.

Williamsburg is overpriced because of the cahet of trendiness, and Bushwick is attracting the spill-over, but that neighborhood is a bit grittier, and not as safe. Henna's recommendation of Astoria would definitely fit the bill, though Astoria is less trendy, and more of an old New York neighborhood, which is a good thing. It's stable, close to Manhattan, and reasonable, something that's not always easily found when dealing in NYC real estate.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-04-2010, 08:52 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I agree with Henna and bmwguydc - Astoria sounds like a good match. It's safe, there are some parts that are getting trendier, and you can probably find something around your budget. It's also really close to Manhattan.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,286 times
I'll fourth on Astoria. I think it kind of compares to Wicker Park.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 AM

527 posts, read 1,020,058 times
I agree, Astoria should fit your bill, Definitely look at different areas in queens as well- Greenpoint is also worth looking at. Also how far from the city are you willing to go? If you do not mind a 15-20 minute train ride check into forest hills, kew gardens, flushing/bayside and other nice area in queens, its more suburban but you get the best of both- nice living area and not too far into manhattan

Last edited by jackinyc; 05-04-2010 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 PM

142 posts, read 418,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Astoria. It fits your budget, has a large-enough young demographic to be readily apparent, and is very convenient to Manhattan.
I agree...I live in Astoria and I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City