Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,541 times

Advertisements

I know all the cab drivers honk a lot and are very impatient but are the sidewalks really full of busy people walking very fast and not stopping for anything like you see on TV and in the movies? I mean, sometimes it seems like the pace is a little slower and that people are just taking their time and are in no hurry. Anyway, I'm just looking for some locals' opinions. I'm just curious, because I love fast-paced cities. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Depends on where you are. When I would walk down the stretch of 5th Avenue near Tiffany's after work around christmas it was like trying to walk through a crowd at a concert. PACKED with tourists pointing and taking pictures acting like they owned the sidewalks. I actually got the back of my leg ran over by a stroller once by someone being carless and just pushing it out in the middle without any regard for anyone.

To me the more touristy the area the slower the traffic moves. In business districts people tend to walk FAST. They have deadlines, meetings, important things going on. I have also found that in residential areas people walk fast too, however the sidewalks are not as crowded.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Although NYC is packed with cars, there isn't much honking going on, as surprising as that may be. The fine for honking unless collision is imminent is $300 in Manhattan (last I checked), and cabbies are fined even higher. So there is no honking, as much as a constant swooshing and humming din that you hear all the time if you live in the City.

As for crowding, it's exactly as the previous poster said. Touristy and business areas are very crowded, packed like sardines, in fact. But there are also quiet residential streets right in the heart of Manhattan, and Central Park with its nooks and crannies is very bucolic.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
As for crowding, it's exactly as the previous poster said. Touristy and business areas are very crowded, packed like sardines, in fact. But there are also quiet residential streets right in the heart of Manhattan, and Central Park with its nooks and crannies is very bucolic.
I guess I am wondering more about whether or not people are walking at a very fast-paced and are in a hurry, not if all of Manhattan is crowded because I know there are plenty of quiet areas in the city. Anyway, thanks!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I believe if you read the second paragraph of my post i answered your question

Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Yes, New Yorkers walk fast. I notice it more when I am in DC or LA because I am passing people on the sidewalk all the time, and I'm just walking, not running.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Around midtown the pace is pretty fast for the most part. If someone doesn't keep that pace they get ran over. Walking through the Times Square subway station, Grand Central, or Penn Station during rush hour seems a lot like playing running back: looking for holes and dodging people from all directions. The pace is a little slower after work and on weekends. Less people being out may have something to do with it.

Other parts of the city are a bit more relaxed, but still much more hectic than most other american cities.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:14 PM

127 posts, read 507,256 times
well manhattan is really busy.
over a million people cramped in 23 sq miles.the density is off the charts.
but outer boroughs are less fast paced ANd more easy going compared to the city

Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 PM

648 posts, read 1,619,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Although NYC is packed with cars, there isn't much honking going on, as surprising as that may be. The fine for honking unless collision is imminent is $300 in Manhattan (last I checked), and cabbies are fined even higher. So there is no honking, as much as a constant swooshing and humming din that you hear all the time if you live in the City.

Police hardly enforce that. There is far much more for NYPD to be doing than pulling you over for honking.

YouTube - New York Night Traffic Jam

Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Yes - we walk really, really fast. Whenever my mom comes to visit, I have to slow down a lot so that I don't lose her. It's very difficult! My husband moved here from the south and he used to walk really slowly! It used to drive me crazy! Now he walks faster than I do (longer legs).
As to the honking - if you've ever sat at an outdoor cafe around Union Square - you wouldn't know that there is a fine for honking. I think it has gotten better in some areas but people in New York honk the second the light turns green - actually, even before the light turns green. They seem to honk for any reason. I've only had a car for a couple months and already there have been several occasions where there was something blocking traffic on a street - and people just kept honking their horns over and over and over - as if it was going to magically clear up the more they honked!!! I much prefer public transportation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City