Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:08 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,670 times

Advertisements

"...but rural upstate pays the same taxes for much less benefit..."

You have got that right! It seems though that ALL of NY is legendary for taxes...believe me- frustrated Upstate Rural NY'er...don't tell everyone here--looking for other places to live but NYS is a beautiful state..just over taxed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 10:49 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
NYS is a gorgous state and I'm looking very forward to moving back in summer 07. I just hope they elect a decent governer this year. Souzzi would be best; but it seems that Spitzer has upstate's intrests in mind and realizes that taxes need to go down.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:19 PM

7 posts, read 27,923 times
Hello,

I lived in upstate NY once, about 26 years ago. It was like a bad dream; we were so poor living there. And what's up with Spitzer? Not enough poor people in NY already? Go to his website; it says: "MEXICAN LEADERS ENDORSE SPITZER FOR GOVERNOR". What, exactly, is Spitzer's position on illegal immigration of those who take jobs that "Americans won't do". In upstate NY? I didn't know upstate NY was doing so well that it had jobs to spare. Or is he just pandering? (Silly me, for taking this so seriously; I apologize.)

Old 09-08-2006, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,022 times
Default taxes

I just looked at a property. 4200 Square feet converted dairy barn on 17 acres.
Holmesville, New Berlin, Chenango county. The price 299,000. The taxes OVER 13,000. 7000 AND CHANGE FOR TOWN AND THE REST FOR SCHOOL. Where is the tea so as you can start throwing it in the harbor. Taxes that high. You upstate New Yorkers should be having a revolution. I mean you do have a more than your share of hazard waste dumps than any other state in the country, but, should you be taxed for such a privilege?

Old 09-08-2006, 05:49 PM

Many believe the upstate/downstate split of the current state of New York is inevitable. I don't think it will happen in my lifetime though.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Anyone else also looking forward to Spitzer's 2008 State of the State address? Hopefully major property tax cuts will be in store for Upstate NY.

Maybe New York State can finally become like every other State in this country and pay for its Medicaid program all by itself...without the counties/local governments!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 AM

More interesting to note will be his "Upstate State of the State address"...given in Buffalo the day after the official state of the state address in Albany. A first in the history of NYS.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
More interesting to note will be his "Upstate State of the State address"...given in Buffalo the day after the official state of the state address in Albany. A first in the history of NYS.
Somehow I missed the press release announcing the "Upstate State of the State address"....

This is great to hear. Thanks for the info. Spitzer sounds more serious about Upstate issues this year.

Syracuse's central location in Upstate is ignored again by the State.....Upstate State of the State address"...given in Buffalo. No large SUNY college is located in the Syracuse area. No large research centers, no large distribution centers. Even Syracuse's Airport doesn't have Southwest or other major airlines that other Upstate cities do. The NYS Fair is the only way Syracuse has taken advantage of it's central location.

Someday this State will start investing in Syracuse and taking advantage of it's central location! Hopefully in my lifetime!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:26 PM

Isn't Syracuse's Hancock Airport the bussiest one Upstate?

Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Isn't Syracuse's Hancock Airport the bussiest one Upstate?
No. Pretty sure Buffalo, Rochester and Albany all have more enplanements than Syracuse. But at one time Syracuse had the fastest growing Airport in Upstate. Maybe you were thinking of that?

Buffalo and Albany have low airfare mostly due to Southwest Airline's presence. Then Rochester has low airfare from AirTran Airways presence. All Syracuse has is Jetblue. So airfare is a bit higher flying out of Syracuse to most destinations... than it is flying out of Buffalo, Rochester or Albany. To avoid the higher costs, many Central New Yorkers drive the extra one or two hours to Rochester or Buffalo, rather than fly out of Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York