Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:33 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,823 times

Advertisements

I just have a pet peeve that drives me to distraction about NY- being that this is the only State I have lived in...I have a few actually but my usual main one is Welfare fraud! How do you all feel about this? I work, my husband works ( he has crushed vertabrae), my children work --we all pay taxes and yet the lady down the road sleeps in, stays up late, gets free food and rent--while I use coupons and pay a sitter so I can pay my bills... she said she applies at places she knows won't hire her--its like this secret system that she and others know about that us poor working souls don't get-- I'm so sick of paying taxes and paying bills and paying for everything when she sets out on her step smoking and laughing on her phone all day--there has got to be another way--what do you think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 08:00 AM

104 posts, read 386,910 times
Call the welfare office to rat her out! Hopefully they will come to take away her cigarettes, stick the phone up her you know where, and toss her to the street.

I doubt that welfare fraud exists only in NY. There is all sorts of fraud happening all over the United States. Welfare fraud, insurance fraud, mechanic fraud. It's a disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom
I just have a pet peeve that drives me to distraction about NY- being that this is the only State I have lived in...I have a few actually but my usual main one is Welfare fraud! How do you all feel about this? I work, my husband works ( he has crushed vertabrae), my children work --we all pay taxes and yet the lady down the road sleeps in, stays up late, gets free food and rent--while I use coupons and pay a sitter so I can pay my bills... she said she applies at places she knows won't hire her--its like this secret system that she and others know about that us poor working souls don't get-- I'm so sick of paying taxes and paying bills and paying for everything when she sets out on her step smoking and laughing on her phone all day--there has got to be another way--what do you think???

Old 08-14-2006, 08:23 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
Quote:
Don't get me started on this one!!! I have 2 personal experiences with this. They both were 30+ years ago, but still anger me. When my dad died in '68, he was a lift truck operator & didn't make a huge salary. My mom went to the welfare dept to request rent assistance in the 3 mths until social security kicked in. They put her through such a hard time, humilated her & made her feel worthless &, when the SS kicked in, she had to pay back every penny of the $600 that welfare gave her.

In the mid-70's, I worked for the medical company in NYC that did medical screening for welfare applicants. It was a 2 day process. I did intake interviews & basic medical tests for day 1. I would be here all day if I started telling you the stories about that place! I don't know how it is now, but back then, there was no residency requirement as to how long you lived in NYC. All you had to do was have a NYC address. Through my own ears, I heard mothers coaching their young daughters, who now had kids of their own, how to beat the system. I heard alot of people, from southern states, talking about heir life "back home" & the NY welfare check was their "pocket money". All they had to do was have a NYC address & come up once a month for a visit to collect their check! Amazing! The best one, a girl that was working there was also collecting welfare under a different name! I quit, after 6 mths there, when a recipient told me he couldn't make day 2 of his screening because he was going to Bermuda for vacation.

There were people that truly needed the assistance, not everyone was a cheat or fraud! Sometimes, life gets away from you & you just need some help & there's no reason why you shouldn't ask for & get the help. At that time, there was fewer of those people than the cheats. Like I said, these are all true stories, people & events that I personally experienced. I would hope that the welfare system has improved some since 1977.

JM2C

BxRosie

Old 08-14-2006, 08:59 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Happens everywhere. I was down visiting some family in North Carolina. I was playing golf with a guy I went to college with and is my Mom's minister.
A guy waved at us from another tee box. He said, "I will tell you that I have mixed emotions about that guy>" I'm like, what do you mean. He said,"he is on full disability with a back problem, but is out here 5 days a week playing golf." I told him that somebody should drop a dime on the guy.
That is theft, anyway you cut it.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:47 PM

Angry disability insurance--another fraud/scam

Oh yeah--my husband had crushed vertabre in his back- the Doctor told him to go on disability but no he gets up every day and goes to work for 12-14 hours...so other people with "bad backs" can drive their new Harleys down the road to their therapy sessions! This country is something else...taxes and fraud...hmmm makes someone wonder...good bed fellows

Old 08-14-2006, 06:24 PM

86 posts, read 380,915 times
Quote:
Oh yeah--my husband had crushed vertabre in his back- the Doctor told him to go on disability but no he gets up every day and goes to work for 12-14 hours...so other people with "bad backs" can drive their new Harleys down the road to their therapy sessions! This country is something else...taxes and fraud...hmmm makes someone wonder...good bed fellows

This country helps other countries and not "our sick and injured".

Corrupt governments, a "me-me" attitude for most of society, and greed all around.

"The so-called greatest country on earth" does not serve us well overall.

It's ONE BIG shame!

Last edited by nowaytoknowyet; 08-14-2006 at 06:35 PM..

Old 08-20-2006, 06:33 PM

.........Agreed........

Old 08-21-2006, 08:28 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,707 times
Years ago I worked in a preschool that had an affiliated Head Start program which allowed people on welfare to send their kids to school free. Some of these kids came to school with a different expensive outfit every day and brand name sneakers. Meanwhile I busted my a** teaching them and had to shop at Target for my own kids' clothes. It was extremely frustrating and made it difficult for me to have an ounce of sympathy for those people.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:47 PM

Been there ---done that ...One of my students (Head Start) took a Disney Cruise!

Old 08-25-2006, 05:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Head Start..haha. I tried to get info on that when my son was a tot. My husband made little money and he could have used the interaction (he's an only child). The information was cryptic and basically you have to 'make peanuts' (guess they are on several 'programs' to afford to live here). I was fed up.

Face it, folks. Some people just know the 'back door in' and use it to the hilt. And, sadly, we pay for it. My husband and yours (or you) go to work and pay for medical/dental (if you are lucky to have a company that offers it) and so on, while a few get all this and more for free.

When I lived in England, the government tries to help you out if you have children by giving you a little money each month for each child (it's called Child Benefit). It wasn't a lot but it makes you realise that 'some places' value the children of all, not a select few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York