Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:38 PM

30 posts, read 109,222 times

Advertisements

Nothing compares to bad like brooklyn areas or just the ny areas down like in the bronx etc, no area can compete thats a fact! i live in brooklyn as well but the not so bad down in south brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
Let me drop you off in Bed Stuy Brooklyn or 145th street in Harlem or the South Bronx or Bushwick.... you think Newburgh is soooo bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 02:40 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,166,444 times
Lots of shopping in those area's. I lived in Poughkeepsie, Wappinger Falls years ago. The housing at that time was cheap. I agree, stay out of the City Of Poughkeepsie, it's bad and was bad even years ago. I have alot of family that live around those area's still.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
Ditto to stay away from the city of Poughkeepsee. And away from Newburgh. Well away from Newburgh....don't let the newbies to the area fool you about the place either. It is BAD. There are some bad parts to Fishkill and Beacon too.

Maybe you should look into Red Hook area? Rhinebeck? For some reason Somers is not ringing a bell. I will have to look it up on Mapquest..

Old 10-19-2006, 12:10 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
I have a friend from canarcie who won't step foot in Newburgh after dark. My dad is from 187th st in the Bronx and won't go there either unless he is carrying. Another friend from the Bronx feels the same way. I have been all over Harlem and Brooklyn and the Bronx and yeah there are some reaaal bad places, some that you would never dream of too- but Newburgh is a real dive and full of drugs and deserves honerable mention as one of the places to steer clear of.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 12,330 times
Default Poughkeepsie is Great ... but

I moved to Poughkeepsie from the Midwest 5 years ago - with no regrets. My children are thriving in the Wappingers School District and our overall quality of life has been great.
However, the commute to Somers for your husband would easily be 45 - 60minutes each way. From the Taconic Parkway to Route 84 to 684 to Route 202 - are all good moving major arteries (though the 84 / 684 junction can get jammed up during morning and evening rush). If the commute is a factor, the Yorktown area just south of Somers is beautiful country also - and I hear good things about the Yorktown schools.
If the communte is not an issue, I'd certainly would recommend you visting the southern Dutchess County area!

Old 12-29-2006, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 12,320 times
Default Poughkeepsie Area.

Okay, here's my advice to you if you're moving to the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro area. Don't live in the city of Poughkeepsie, it's a crime riddled hell hole who's "trying" to clean up it's act. Don't live in the city of nightmare, oops, I mean Newburgh, because it has the highest crime statistics in the entire state of New York. Yes, it's worse than the big bad New York City per capita. The city of Beacon? It has it's charm, but it also has it's dirty neighborhoods and crime. Village of Wappingers? A dirty little urban slum where you definitely don't want to raise any children or move to. Now, with that out of the way, the Poughkeepsie area does have it's upside. The TOWN of Poughkeepsie is densly populated, but it's all suburban, everybody seems to have a decent amount of property, and there is just about zero crime. The town of Wappinger, is somewhat like the Town of Poughkeepsie, only it's a bit more rural than suburban(with the population boom going on, that'll likely change). Village of Fishkill is charming. East Fishkill is another area like the Town of Wappinger. Just avoid Wappingers Falls Village, the CITY of Poughkeepsie, the CITY of newburgh, and the CITY of Beacon. All surrounding towns are for the most part nice. Nice, and high-priced, but nice.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:21 PM

28 posts, read 99,820 times
Hi-
I would advice staying away from Peekskill and Newburg as well...The Fishkill or Poughkeepsie area would be good...Stay out of the city...We lived in Hopewell Junction for 10 years before moving further north to Red Hook. We love Red Hook but it would be too far for a job in Somers. If I were going to pick a school district for my kids in southern Dutchess, I would definitely go for Spackenkill.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:47 PM

229 posts, read 232,667 times
Hopewell junction is a nice place. Quiet and some land. I forget what schools the kids from hopewell go to. The city of Poughkeepsie is horrible and has been for years. Wappingers Falls school system is nice and Roy C. Ketcham High School used to have a great gymnastics program and other competetive sports programs. Get youself on the school report card site and compare regents scores ( kindof an advanced diploma in NY). Also compare the % of free lunch participants etc.. seems like a lot of info but it is really eye opening. Best of Luck.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 40,735 times
If I had to pick a "good" place for me and my kids.. It would be Peekskill right on the border in the "District 3" area.. Great area of Peekskill and WONDERFUL school district.. A.K.A. "Hendrick Hudson High School".. I lived in Peekskill for a few years and really it's not so bad.. there are "ghetto" areas.. but not too bad.. I currently live in Hopewell Junction, where I own a nice home, with lower taxes.. but the commute to Somers would REALLY stink. I wonder why you wouldn't look at "Croton-On-Hudson" or maybe even Brewster.. Or Yorktown Heights? Just a thought.. closer to somers..

Old 10-25-2009, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 10,378 times
We live in Hopewell Junction (Town of East Fishkill), Nice House, Land, 3 kids, etc.. Easy commute to Westchester, CT, Northern Jersey. Nice area, good schools, neighbors. Higher quality of life. Shopping on Rt 9 is a piece of cake as well as the outlets off the NYS Thruway and White Plains. Great Community. Northern Westchester is too expensive. Get more for your money in Southern Dutchess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York