Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 05:18 AM

10 posts, read 32,347 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job near Wawa NJ. They tell me it is a few miles inside of 287, an exit or so before 17. How long of a commute is it to there froom somehwere off of 87, say in the Harriman area? Is there even anywhere decent to live or do we need to further north. Looking for houses under $600k in safe neighborhoods with good public schools but I have no idea where to even start looking, NY or NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafamilyof4 View Post
I am looking at a job near Wawa NJ. They tell me it is a few miles inside of 287, an exit or so before 17. How long of a commute is it to there froom somehwere off of 87, say in the Harriman area? Is there even anywhere decent to live or do we need to further north. Looking for houses under $600k in safe neighborhoods with good public schools but I have no idea where to even start looking, NY or NJ.
do you mean Mahwah?? Wawa is a chain of convinience stores, you should be able to find something close by in that price range

Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 AM

yes, Mahwaw - is there a specific town I should search? It seems that all the real estate search sites insist on you knowing the town you want first, not just a general area.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:42 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafamilyof4 View Post
yes, Mahwaw - is there a specific town I should search? It seems that all the real estate search sites insist on you knowing the town you want first, not just a general area.
Inside NY you have Northern Rockland IE Suffern and Sloatsburg, in Orange County you Have Tuxedo, Tuxedo Park (Million Plus Homes), Harriman, Monroe, Woodbury, Central Valley. All of the towns mentioned in Orange County have very good schools, great neighborhoods in that price range.

In fact, you will have a lot to choose from in that price range. You will find more to choose from coming into Orange Vice going to Northern Rockland. The areas in Orange that I talked about are about 15-20 minutes from Mahwah right up Old 17 or even up 87.

Good luck, and let me know if this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions.

~Joe

Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 AM

thank you for the input

Old 07-02-2007, 06:03 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
Joey is correct..600k can buy you an nice 4 bedroom in monroe (top rated school disctrict) and its straight down the 87, right into 17, right into mahwah.

Dh travels it everyday...and I believe the sign on the thru way is says its only 15 miles. That would be a VERY lucky situation for you to get that kind of commute and still be able to purchase a home...and not deal with NYC traffic! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York