Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,419 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago right now, just got laid off working for a investment firm in Chicago. Just seems there are better fit roles for me in NY City. I currently earn around 70K at Chicago and hoping for 10-20K better at NY area. I really would appreciate if you guys can recommend some good place to live given my financial restraints and still have a good commute to Manhattan. My first preference is taking the train into the city from the suburb probably no more than a hour train ride.

I really have no clue about NYC area.

Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 03:01 PM

58 posts, read 416,809 times
Default Where to live in New York

I am a life long resident of New York City and retired from the NYPD. There are many areas outside of Manhattan with an easy commute. The Throggs Neck section of the Bronx is well kept and near City Island and Orchard Beach. Orchard Beach in the oft season is free and beautiful to walk in January. There are also quality Golf Courses in this area. Pelham Bay Park is the largest park in New York and is also located here. It is in the confines of the 45th pct a pct with overall less street crime than other pcts. The Manhattan Express Bus (MTA) is $5.00 one way and a pleasure to ride 7 day's a week. You also have the #6 train one of the cities best. Rents are within line of the other boroughs except Manhattan which is on another planet. I have family members living in Throggs Neck for decades as I once did. It is surrounded by Long Island Sound which is beautiful. Queens and Brooklyn also offer different areas similar and nice to live in. It really depends on what you like to do with your time. Some places offer more nitelife and some offer more seclusion. You can pvt message me for any other info, good luck

Old 08-29-2006, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 47,575 times
I lived in Manhattan and recently relocated to Bronxville. I love it, it's easy to walk to the town, the metro north is right there and is only a 26 min commute on an express train to Grand Central. The best thing to do, to get an overall idea of the commuting towns north of NYC is to go to mta.info. website and click on metro north rail maps. It will give you a good overview of which towns they service and the commute from each one. They're all very quaint and pretty much the same.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:01 PM

493 posts, read 717,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbae View Post
I live in Chicago right now, just got laid off working for a investment firm in Chicago. Just seems there are better fit roles for me in NY City. I currently earn around 70K at Chicago and hoping for 10-20K better at NY area. I really would appreciate if you guys can recommend some good place to live given my financial restraints and still have a good commute to Manhattan. My first preference is taking the train into the city from the suburb probably no more than a hour train ride.

Please help
You could look into Queens as well! There are some very nice areas there, that would fall right within your price range. The transit is perfect and the Queensboro (59th street) bridge, both will take you into the heart of the east side of Manhattan!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,406 times
Default Great places outside of NYC

All of these are great spots. I would add the Hudson Valley to the list - cities like Peeksill, Cold Spring and Garrison are 1hr train ride and in a beautiful setting near the Hudson Highlands. Good luck.

http://highlands.com/

Old 08-30-2006, 12:58 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
There are places within the Five Boroughs that you can afford. Depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for.
Do you want to replicate your suburban Chicago lifestyle, but just work in Manhattan, or do you want to live a NYC lifestyle? Do you have to buy a house? How much space do you need? Do you have and must you have a car?
These are important questions for someone coming to NYC.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:08 PM

117 posts, read 416,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamter View Post
I am a life long resident of New York City and retired from the NYPD. There are many areas outside of Manhattan with an easy commute. The Throggs Neck section of the Bronx is well kept and near City Island and Orchard Beach. Orchard Beach in the oft season is free and beautiful to walk in January. There are also quality Golf Courses in this area. Pelham Bay Park is the largest park in New York and is also located here. It is in the confines of the 45th pct a pct with overall less street crime than other pcts. The Manhattan Express Bus (MTA) is $5.00 one way and a pleasure to ride 7 day's a week. You also have the #6 train one of the cities best. Rents are within line of the other boroughs except Manhattan which is on another planet. I have family members living in Throggs Neck for decades as I once did. It is surrounded by Long Island Sound which is beautiful. Queens and Brooklyn also offer different areas similar and nice to live in. It really depends on what you like to do with your time. Some places offer more nitelife and some offer more seclusion. You can pvt message me for any other info, good luck

Interesting I have family in the Throggs Neck area too for decades. Quincy Ave to be exact.

I was the 1st Christmas baby to be born in Pelham General hospital 1962.

Ok enough trivia. Jusr had to plug the old hood. Is Angie's candy store still there?

Old 08-30-2006, 05:39 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,592 times
Don't rule out Hoboken or Jersey City, especially if you are working downtown.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Don't rule out Hoboken or Jersey City, especially if you are working downtown.

I'd say North Bergen, Weekauken, Secaucus, Cliffside Park, and West New York before Jersey City.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbae View Post

Please help

Look into Tarrytown, Nyack, a little farther Monroe or even Suffern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York