Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,367 times

Advertisements

i want to "downsize" my life. i have the life many people dream of, but i'm BURNED OUT. I own a great downtown loft, my son is in private school -- but i'm TOTALLY stressed with my job and want to start working part-time (or take off a year) and so need to move out of the city to make this work....

i am SO confused! how do you go about picking some random community -- i've thought of larchmont, greenwich, new rochelle, montclair nj, then LI towns like port washington -- but it seems so RANDOM to just pick somewhere!!

all i know so far is --
*i'm raising a 7-year old boy all by myself, so wouldn't want a community that would frown on that...
*assuming i did a freelance, part-time kind of gig, i'd be commuting just part of the week, so i could handle a door-to-door one hour commute, i guess, although it scares me to think i'll hate it....
*need great public schools
*want outdoor space, a yard of some sort
*can afford around $1-million give or take

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 10:45 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
You might rent a car, if you don't have own one, and drive up to lower Westchester and visit one town and then another. Sit down at a local cafe or restaurant; walk into and out of shops and speak to residents and thus get a feel for the place. Also check Chambers of Commerce, and ask for their relocation packages.

I have some favourites up in the area, but they only became favourites because I'd been driving through them (from CT) and stopped for a coffee break or just a break in my travels.

The towns you've mentioned all have a different appeal, and offer different services. Many of the schools in the county are good, or were good, and many are easier to commute from (with services on both Amtrak and Metro North).

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2007, 05:35 PM

203 posts, read 852,910 times
Westfield or Cranford in NJ....maybe not as high priced as you're looking for...but both right on the train line. Westfield is more upscale with very good schools. Probably an hour by train to Manhattan.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:45 PM

142 posts, read 811,453 times
I don't know. I would say no to most of Fairfield County as maybe not being a very comfortable place for a single parent. Perhaps Westport? Although Westport would be pushing the 1 hour limit; probably a bit further. But I think Westport, with its reputation for creativity, would fit the bill otherwise. Let's hear what others have to suggest.
Jo (in Skaneateles)

Old 06-18-2007, 06:35 AM

137 posts, read 1,005,113 times
The best schools in Westchester include Scarsdale, Mamaroneck, Edgemont. I would especially look into the Edgemont schools. The district is excellent, but also small so it might be easier to meet people.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:25 AM

103 posts, read 448,596 times
Getting into a car and driving around visiting different towns is an excellent idea. In Westchester you might want to consider Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Scarsdale, Pleasantville, and if you can tolerate longer commute (about 1 hr on the train) Mt. Kisco and Katonah. On the Hudson side - how about Irvington?
Visit the villages, local cafes and stores, and places you would take your son to (many Westchester towns have excellent libraries with ton of events and activities for children), this should give you an idea where you want to be.
I have a lot of info on Westchester in general and specific towns in particular that might be useful - PM me if you would like any of that!
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York