Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,178 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Amber and I'm Planning my first trip to New York from Michigan.

I was hoping someone can give me a good idea of where to stay that would be close to $100 to $200 a night. I’m having trouble finding where the safe areas are to stay.

I was planning of visiting these places while in New York:
Yankee Stadium
Statue of Liberty
Bronx Zoo
Ground Zero
Botanical Garden in the Bronx

I don't have any issues with staying 20 minutes away if needed for better hotel prices. Any help you may be able to give I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Amber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 03:06 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
put it this way I think it's like $179 per night to stay at the New York Inn on 8th Avenue and 47th street in the heart of the theater district, and that hotel gets the worst reviews I have ever seen. I've read decent things about the Days Inn Yankee Stadium and I've read that guests even find the area reasonably safe but I don't know their rates. The location would be convenient for most of the attractions you mention

Otherwise you have to expect to pay more for a decent hotel

Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM

199 posts, read 421,371 times
You could stay at a number of clean, safe hotels in Manhattan from about $160, just try hotels.com, there are a ton of reviews per hotel and usually a number of pictures.

As far as safe, New York is safer than most any city in the nation. Manhattan especially. You could also stay somewhere like Newark or Queens, with modern hotels near the airports, or Brooklyn, Jersey City or White Plains for that matter, all within 20-30 minutes of Midtown Manhattan by train, and spend a little over half to two/thirds that amount on the room. It's very hard to tell what you're expecting from a hotel or your experience. Also, are you flying in or arriving by bus/train, or driving? I've had family come in who want to be in Manhattan or Brooklyn, but when I'm traveling and at a hotel I typically don't want to do much more than sleep there and will commute a bit if it means I can save that kind of money.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:50 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I suggest that you stay in Long Island City in Queens which is a short subway ride from Midtown Manhattan: Long Island City Hotels: Check out 19 hotels, with 4,400 reviews

Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamber89 View Post
Hello, my name is Amber and I'm Planning my first trip to New York from Michigan.

I was hoping someone can give me a good idea of where to stay that would be close to $100 to $200 a night. I’m having trouble finding where the safe areas are to stay.

I was planning of visiting these places while in New York:
Yankee Stadium
Statue of Liberty
Bronx Zoo
Ground Zero
Botanical Garden in the Bronx

I don't have any issues with staying 20 minutes away if needed for better hotel prices. Any help you may be able to give I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Amber
Also look at hotels in Jersey City -- there's a Westin and a Marriott Courtyard, both pretty new and nice, within walking distance of the PATH train, which would have you in lower Manhattan (near Ground Zero) in a few minutes. From that end of the city you can catch subways to everywhere else. It's a nice section of Jersey City, too, and one of the good parts is that you have a beautiful view of the NYC skyline from there.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,428 times
Go to Hotwire.com and you'll get a great deal. They don't tell you which hotel you're staying at until it's booked (I hate that about Hotwire) BUT you can select how many stars you want.
I always selected 4 stars and I always got great deals on nice hotels. Last time we were there, we stayed at the Benjamin for $120 a night.

Honestly if someone wants to visit NYC, it's best to budget so you can stay in NYC to get the whole experience. Just do Hotwire in your price range and you'll be happy.
The only thing is, hotels know when someone booked through Hotwire so you'll get the least nicest room. But the least nicest room in a 4 star hotel is still nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York