Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,405 times

Advertisements

I am a young single female moving to Poughkeepsie for work. I have been apartment searching on the computer and have come up with quite a few options. Some of the places are in the city of Poughkeepsie and some are in the town. I've looked at both apartment complexes as well as other individual rentals. There are some apartments that look really nice, but are located in the city. I've read that the city isn't the best, but there are some nice areas. I was wondering where these good areas of the city are and where I should avoid looking. Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks!

(I also know I could go to Wappingers or Hyde Park and be in much nicer areas, but I am looking for a short commute to work so I've decided Poughkeepsie is where I want to be to start out)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
After yesterday's events, It may not be a good idea to move to Poughkeepsie, especially the city....

Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,380 times
Stay away from Hyde Park. I live in Hyde Park and it's a dead town.

Not sure how much your looking to spend monthly so i cant give you any suggestions other than that you should stay on the southern part of poughkeepsie or areas south of poughkeepsie such as spackenkill and wappingers. arlington is a nice area as well.

I lived in downtown Poughkeepsie for 6 years during the 90s with no problems. This was at the Kaal Rock Manor Apartments near the train station. Despite the events that took place last week, it's still a safe area for the most part.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM

27 posts, read 71,058 times
What happened last week? We are looking at property there to move, is it a bad area?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:17 PM

34 posts, read 95,600 times
You'll notice the other posts are from a year ago, not now. Where in Poughkeepsie are you interested in living? Apartment, condo or house?

I live there, and have lived locally all my life. Feel free to ask me about the area.

Bellesmama

Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM

We're either looking at there or somewhere on Long Island... two quite different i know, but we really want to get out of the city, buy some land or a really bad house and fix it up. Honestly, somewhere quiet and safe, the most important thing is the safety. We are both commuting to Manhattan.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:03 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underwater View Post
We're either looking at there or somewhere on Long Island... two quite different i know, but we really want to get out of the city, buy some land or a really bad house and fix it up. Honestly, somewhere quiet and safe, the most important thing is the safety. We are both commuting to Manhattan.
I have family in Pok and yes, outskirts are not that great but I found that to be along 44/55 going towards the city of Pok. I think the city part isn't that bad or by the water. But to be honest, if you're working in NYC, why commute 2 hrs each way? My friend moved to Pok after she got married and she said her commute was about 2 hrs from the train station to Penn. Then she still had to jump on the subway. The train ticket isn't all that cheap either. The LIRR ticket is cheaper and you won't be spending 2 hrs commuting each way...depending on how far out on LI you move to.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 PM

Two hours, i thought it was an hour? my office is right at Penn, so i don't have to worry about the subway.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:44 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underwater View Post
Two hours, i thought it was an hour? my office is right at Penn, so i don't have to worry about the subway.
I guess that would depend on where in Pok you would move to. My friend lives further from the station. She's off Rt 55 where I would get off I-684. My mistake. I meant Grand Central, not Penn.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM

34 posts, read 95,600 times
One area you might want to consider is New Hamburg, which is a little hamlet right on the river. There is a train station right there, and it would save you maybe 10-15 minutes of train time, and might be a little cheaper since it's a bit further south. I really don't think it would take 2 hours for the commute, but you might want to check the Metro-North train schedules and it should show you what time they leave New Hamburg and when arrival in NYC is, and which train station. New Hamburg is in the Wappingers School District, and only a few miles from Route 9, which has all the stores, malls, car dealers, restaurants, etc. You could also try Beacon, but I don't know that much about it, other than some areas are iffy.
You might also want to consider the village of Wappingers, just north of New Hamburg. If you are driving up here, both the village and NH are located on Route 9G, which runs parallel to Route 9.
If you are considering the city of Poughkeepsie, I can let you know which areas might be better than others.
I think in today's world, there isn't any place that is absolutely safe. Even in small towns, you still need to use your street smarts.
Hyde Park puts you that much further north from Po'k. Also, the west side of the Hudson seems to be a little less expensive than the east side, but there are no commuter trains there, and you'd still have to deal with the traffic on the bridges.
Pawling also has a train station, but it's not Metro-North, it's the other northern line.
Another thing, we have many commuters in the area, so any area that is close to a major highway or train is going to be more expensive to buy real estate.
So, good luck with your search. If you have any more questions, please post them, and I'll try to answer.

Bellesmama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York