Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:48 AM

287 posts, read 1,460,524 times

Advertisements

I live in Scotchtown (town of wallkill) and pay 4850/yr. on my 1730 sq. ft. home with not alot of property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 38,330 times
forget monroe, too grown up will be hard to find room for horses. better choice with montgomery, warwick or goshen.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
Default Montgomery's mixed review.

Montgomery is an excellent choice for a nice home with land available for horses. At the elementary level the school district is fine if your child has absolutly no learning difficulties. However, if learning differences or attention issues arise, the Valley Central School district is most certainly not the place you want to be. In addition, both Valley Central Middle School and Valley Central High School are on the list of schools in need of academic improvement. For the amount of money in taxes you will be paying to live in beautiful Montgomery this is a shame. I would strongly advise you to make sure you research schools in the area as much as land available for horses, as the selection of private schools near Montgomery is also slim. Another possible option would be to opt for a Montgomery home in the Pine Bush School District. I have heard many good things about that district, but I advise you to research that before you make the move. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
I have heard that Pine Bush schools are having serious problems with fighting..lots of people are unhappy with the staff's ability to manage the kids being brats.

I don't see VC on this year's list for "schools needing improvement" I see it on the "schools in good standing list" for 2007. http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/irts/school-accountability/2007/District-InGoodStanding.pdf (broken link) The only districts in OC needing improvement are PJ, NFA and Middletown. Both Middletown and NFA have been on for 3 years now.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:31 AM

66 posts, read 295,252 times
For a horse property you will need to be in:

Blooming Grove
Goshen
Chester
Montgomery
Warwick

and for a horse property you are looking anywhere from $600K+ for a legitimate one although we had a family friend who bought a horse farm from a developer that couldn't subdivide the land for $399K in New Windsor. It's funny that you mentioned being steered into the right areas because that's one of the biggest no-nos for REALTORs. It's absolutely 100% illegal buuuuut I can send you a school report if you'd like but if you are already working with an agent then I won't because I don't want to violate any pre-existing agreements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York