Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times

Advertisements

Illinois is nothing like NY in any regard other than the fact that it has a really large city. MA also has a large city that dominates and would be closer to NY in most categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
I think I get what he means about Illinois, and MA is another good example.

NY is so dominated politically by the city and Chicago dominates IL is what I think he means.

Terrain wise NY has, how to put this, rather less corn.

But on other forums I'm on people from Illinois tend to talk just like Upstate NYers about "the city". It goes all the way from NYC all the way down to Buffalo which is pretty small itself with no real middle. I think Il is very similar.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I think I get what he means about Illinois, and MA is another good example.

NY is so dominated politically by the city and Chicago dominates IL is what I think he means.

Terrain wise NY has, how to put this, rather less corn.

But on other forums I'm on people from Illinois tend to talk just like Upstate NYers about "the city". It goes all the way from NYC all the way down to Buffalo which is pretty small itself with no real middle. I think Il is very similar.
Its seems like common sense what I was saying. I'm glad you understood what I was saying, I thought for a second that I stepped into some Twilight Zone episode. Unfortunately, there are so many robots in this forum that like to dispute anything that you say, just to feel better about themselves.

For every stat, there's another stat that disputes it. For every opinion, there's another opposite opinion. Couple that with all the people on here who claim to have traveled everywhere, but are likely in their parents basement making posts.

NY is EXACTLY like Illinois. There, I said it. So, to all you people coming to NY, just go to Illinois- its the same. The number of stalks of corn are exactly the same. The Buffalo wings are equally as good. Little known fact, Illinois has a Niagara Falls too, and its the same height with the same volume of water, right down to the gallon

Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 PM

215 posts, read 385,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Its seems like common sense what I was saying. I'm glad you understood what I was saying, I thought for a second that I stepped into some Twilight Zone episode. Unfortunately, there are so many robots in this forum that like to dispute anything that you say, just to feel better about themselves.

For every stat, there's another stat that disputes it. For every opinion, there's another opposite opinion. Couple that with all the people on here who claim to have traveled everywhere, but are likely in their parents basement making posts.

NY is EXACTLY like Illinois. There, I said it. So, to all you people coming to NY, just go to Illinois- its the same. The number of stalks of corn are exactly the same. The Buffalo wings are equally as good. Little known fact, Illinois has a Niagara Falls too, and its the same height with the same volume of water, right down to the gallon

Alrighty then...can you please give me the Illinois version of all these cities and landmarks?
Buffalo
Rochester
Albany
Syracuse
Ithaca
Letchworth State Park
Niagara Falls
Catskills
Adirondack Mountains
Saratoga Springs
1000 Islands
Hamptons
allegany state park
Cooperstown

Not trying to be a smartass, but I am just curious to see what you come up with

P.S. Niagara Falls is one of the 8th wonders of the world and has name reognition, and is a tourist destination. It's great and all that Illinois has it's own massive waterfall, but considering I don't even know what it's called, I am thinking it's not as well known? As for the "Buffalo Wings" in Ill being as good, I am sure they probably are quite tasty, but the reason Buffalo Wings are called "Buffalo Wings" is because they were originated in Buffalo NY. When Peoria Wings become a huge hit and we see the name "Peoria" labeled on product, get back to me

Last edited by aggie75; 10-24-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
The Transportation network hasn't be expanded in 60 years....there are plans in upstate and downstate but rarely any investment. Everytime a project comes up that would really service the people well politicians jack the price up like with the Upstate High Speed Rail or I-287 Railway or the Lower Manhattan Regional Rail link... Its resulted in a congested downstate and isolated Upstate. The Younger Generation like myself really hate driving so where being pushed into certain regions or cities instead of having a choice....like Buffalo , Albany , Rochester , Syracuse , or Troy... Aside from Transportation issue the taxes are out of control...and need serious reform....but Albany doesn't seem to care... Dipping and stealing large chunks of the MTA and Gas Tax to pay for pet projects is hurting the economy and Transportation network.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

I think the concentration of the politics is similar, but I don't think the rest of Illinois is on par with Upstate NY in terms of economic output, population and land features, among some other things. This is subjective anyway, but there's no need to throw a fit or name calling.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Alrighty then...can you please give me the Illinois version of all these cities and landmarks?
Buffalo
Rochester
Albany
Syracuse
Ithaca
Letchworth State Park
Niagara Falls
Catskills
Adirondack Mountains
Saratoga Springs
1000 Islands
Hamptons
allegany state park
Cooperstown

Not trying to be a smartass, but I am just curious to see what you come up with

P.S. Niagara Falls is one of the 8th wonders of the world and has name reognition, and is a tourist destination. It's great and all that Illinois has it's own massive waterfall, but considering I don't even know what it's called, I am thinking it's not as well known? As for the "Buffalo Wings" in Ill being as good, I am sure they probably are quite tasty, but the reason Buffalo Wings are called "Buffalo Wings" is because they were originated in Buffalo NY. When Peoria Wings become a huge hit and we see the name "Peoria" labeled on product, get back to me
Wow. Are you serious?

Last edited by VintageSunlight; 03-07-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongtheDogs View Post
Since 2000, New York has only had about 500k in population growth. California, Texas, Florida have all seen 3-5 million since then! What has caused people to look elsewhere than the Empire State?
I just read the latest 5 pages since I forgot to check yesterday. It would seem that the conversation has veered off the original post...

Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I just read the latest 5 pages since I forgot to check yesterday. It would seem that the conversation has veered off the original post...
Is that shocking, all things considered?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 PM

It has veered off topic a bit, but here's a synopsis of the only point I'm trying to get across, using Syracuse as an example. I think this sums up the OP's question too:

Cary, NC had a population of 21,000 in 1980 and now has as many people as Syracuse, 145k. Do you know what Syracuse's population was in 1980? 170k. Does mentioning these facts mean that I dislike Syracuse? In the world of City Data forums it does. But I don't. I very much like the city and the metropolitan area. I want to see it do better. I want to actually move there. But things like this make me nervous to invest there, and that means it makes probably another 100,000 people feel the same. Rather than dismiss us, we need to figure out why that is happening and not ignore the people that recognize it and discuss the reasons for it. Sure, some factors (mentioned here) like weather, annexing land, and the age of the cities are legitimate. But bigger factors like being #50 on so many rankings hurts it more.

Instead I get a lecture from other people on here that Buffalo wings are from Buffalo and they're damn proud of that. Its inept comments like that, and comments from people who defend them, for the reason that Buffalo is in the sorry state that its in. I get a lecture on how NY is nothing like Illinois, like I just compared NY to some third world country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York