Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

2012 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I find this to be a very interesting list. Some schools I've heard over the years about how fabulous they were and holy cow! They're scraping the bottom of the barrel. And that's a lot of school districts! That doesn't even include NYC.....maybe we should consider working on that? How many schools do we need with 100 or less students per grade?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I find this to be a very interesting list. Some schools I've heard over the years about how fabulous they were and holy cow! They're scraping the bottom of the barrel. And that's a lot of school districts! That doesn't even include NYC.....maybe we should consider working on that? How many schools do we need with 100 or less students per grade?
Yeah, I think consolidation will be considered more and more as time goes on. I never understood the districts with no high school, which still exist and aren't on the list.

Also, being ranked lower doesn't necessarily that you can't get a good education.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I think consolidation will be considered more and more as time goes on. I never understood the districts with no high school, which still exist and aren't on the list.

Also, being ranked lower doesn't necessarily that you can't get a good education.
I know Seneca Falls and Waterloo are going to do a study on consolidating. Seneca Falls Village (I think it was a village) voted to be incorporated into the Town of Seneca Falls so there's now only one Seneca Falls instead of two. They were the first or the largest (can't remember which) village in the state to do this. Hopefully, we'll see more of this and the taxes will stop increasing so much. I'm not counting on them to decrease. If they do, fanstinkingtastic.

It is true that you can get a good education even in a bad school. You get out of it what you put into it. There's plenty of morons at Harvard and Yale.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I know Seneca Falls and Waterloo are going to do a study on consolidating. Seneca Falls Village (I think it was a village) voted to be incorporated into the Town of Seneca Falls so there's now only one Seneca Falls instead of two. They were the first or the largest (can't remember which) village in the state to do this. Hopefully, we'll see more of this and the taxes will stop increasing so much. I'm not counting on them to decrease. If they do, fanstinkingtastic.

It is true that you can get a good education even in a bad school. You get out of it what you put into it. There's plenty of morons at Harvard and Yale.
Yes, Seneca Falls consolidated and places like Ticonderoga, Fort Covington and some others have done so in years past. I would be interested to see the pros and cons of consolidation.

Good point about schools, as in recent years, i've seen Syracuse City students go to Ivies and service academies.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM

Didn't know Ticonderoga consolidated! I've been following the Seneca Falls school merger studies in the newspaper. They have don't an initial study about which districts would be best to consolidate in the area. It came up with Waterloo being the best to consolidate with. There were some other schools that were suggested to consolidate together. Waterloo and Seneca Falls are pursing a study to join together. It will take a few months. I am interested in seeing what is said. I'm not in either school district, but there are many small schools around here. The initial study said that making one large county district wouldn't save taxpayers money and it wouldn't help the students. I wonder if it's because the county is so large and bussing kids all over the place would be expensive with fuel costs alone.

My high school graduating class had 92 people and the class size hasn't grown since then. Even back then I wondered why there were 2 local high school that had graduating classes smaller than mine. I wondered why we weren't one school. Even town had to have their own school for whatever reason back in the day, but they are very costly nowadays.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM

87 posts, read 372,286 times
I know Ithaca is different from your typical Upstate NY city. But still interesting to see Ithaca City School District at 65, while other cities like Utica, Binghamton, Troy, Elmira, Syracuse etc. round out the bottom. Also, a good showing for Broome County having both Vestal and M-E in the top 30.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndicottNY View Post
I know Ithaca is different from your typical Upstate NY city. But still interesting to see Ithaca City School District at 65, while other cities like Utica, Binghamton, Troy, Elmira, Syracuse etc. round out the bottom. Also, a good showing for Broome County having both Vestal and M-E in the top 30.
I'm not surprised only because it is an enlarged city school district. So, it gets kids from suburban and rural areas. There's the college influence as well, with many kids having college educated parents.

What is interesting is that Troy High had a 81% graduation rate in 2011, I believe. So, it is an interesting list.

Yes, Ticonderoga used to have a village and town. Now, it is one entity.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndicottNY View Post
The population of Ithaca isn't the same as Troy as most of the population is there due to the colleges. Ithaca has about 30K residents and Troy has 50K. Ithaca doesn't have as many areas that are at an economic disadvantage like Troy. When you have an area with so many faculty and staff making what they make at Cornell, it does help out the neighborhood. People who work at Cornell don't want some sucko school. Emma Willard isn't nearby to send your daughter to.

Ithaca, in general, also hasn't had the hard times that the canal cities have faced for decades - Utica, Troy, Syracuse, Cohoes, etc.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

What is interesting is that Troy High had a 81% graduation rate in 2011, I believe. So, it is an interesting list.
That is VERY surprising! Good to hear though. High school graduation rates are something all schools need to improve upon. Very rare to find one with 98-100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York