Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times

Advertisements

Well let's add the Mayor Bumble also down played it up for a while. He wasn't getting across the severity of the storm. The forecasters and models were all in agreement that it was going to have intense winds, rain, storm surge and damage. Most of us who were following that end were appalled at his lack of concern for the residents of NYC. A storm like this had been warned of for years-it was over due to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I guess the reason evacuation orders fell on deaf ears, is because most New Yorkers aren't used to hurricanes. I'm speechless that anyone would assume that all hurricanes are like Irene!

Evidently the news coverage you see whenever a hurricane hits Florida or Louisiana, doesn't make a dent in the understanding of people who live miles away in New York.

New Yorkers aren't the only ones to ignore evacuation orders. People do in every state that has hurricanes, bad weather, mudslides, and fires. I see people in FL and NC need rescuing frequently after a hurricane.

Sandy was only a cat 1 and most hurricanes in FL and LA are much greater than that.

FL and LA are in another world to the people of NYC. These people are very different from the rest of the country. Not good or bad. Just different.

Also you need to remember that there are about 10 MILLION people in NYC. There's NO way to evacuate everyone in a few days. It is LITERALLY impossible. And even if by some miracle you could, where on earth do you place 10 MILLION people? That doesn't include the folks in Jersey who were hammered either. That's a few million more. This occurred in THE most populated area of the country.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
New Yorkers aren't the only ones to ignore evacuation orders. People do in every state that has hurricanes, bad weather, mudslides, and fires. I see people in FL and NC need rescuing frequently after a hurricane.

Sandy was only a cat 1 and most hurricanes in FL and LA are much greater than that.

FL and LA are in another world to the people of NYC. These people are very different from the rest of the country. Not good or bad. Just different.

Also you need to remember that there are about 10 MILLION people in NYC. There's NO way to evacuate everyone in a few days. It is LITERALLY impossible. And even if by some miracle you could, where on earth do you place 10 MILLION people? That doesn't include the folks in Jersey who were hammered either. That's a few million more. This occurred in THE most populated area of the country.
They didn't need to evacuate all of them, and none of them needed to be evacuated out of the city--just to shelters further uptown/inland.

If the people in mandatory evacuation areas had left in the free buses they were offered and gone to the free shelters as they were asked to, the first responders would have been able to focus their efforts on the people who weren't ordered to leave and ended up in trouble. The ones who didn't leave were nothing but SELFISH and should have been the last ones to be helped.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:42 PM

151 posts, read 183,235 times
People get scared of looters and decide to stay, like the guy who had his home looted during Irene when he evacuated, and decided to stay for this one. I think it was in Staten Island. You could actually see the sea on camera when they were showing his home on TV. He and his young daughter died.

I think people should take this storm as a warning sign. Set your priorities straight. Imagine if next time you manage to survive but one of your children relatives dies? Could you live with that decision?

Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They didn't need to evacuate all of them, and none of them needed to be evacuated out of the city--just to shelters further uptown/inland.

If the people in mandatory evacuation areas had left in the free buses they were offered and gone to the free shelters as they were asked to, the first responders would have been able to focus their efforts on the people who weren't ordered to leave and ended up in trouble. The ones who didn't leave were nothing but SELFISH and should have been the last ones to be helped.
You're NEVER going to get everyone to following a mandatory evacuation. Look at FL and NC! Happens with every hurricane. And I probably wouldn't leave either. Where would I go with 3 dogs and 5 cats? Granted I'd have to go to the Adirondacks to be on higher ground and if that's the only safe place left, we're all completely screwed so it's a mute point.

Many people who have been rescued also were NOT in evacuation areas. Many people in Jersey were never told to evacuate and the got stranded because the ocean made their town into an island.

Going to shelters also doesn't solve the problem of having no power for a week or longer. People still need to go to work.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You're NEVER going to get everyone to following a mandatory evacuation. Look at FL and NC! Happens with every hurricane. And I probably wouldn't leave either. Where would I go with 3 dogs and 5 cats? Granted I'd have to go to the Adirondacks to be on higher ground and if that's the only safe place left, we're all completely screwed so it's a mute point.

Many people who have been rescued also were NOT in evacuation areas. Many people in Jersey were never told to evacuate and the got stranded because the ocean made their town into an island.

Going to shelters also doesn't solve the problem of having no power for a week or longer. People still need to go to work.
There are many places that take animals including shelters I saw it all the time on the weather channel and here in Florida. It is a top priority because they know many people would rather die than leave their pets behind. They learned their lesson with Katrina.

You are not gonna be locked out of your property for weeks. Make sure your id is upto date and it reflects your address. They will have checkpoints to avoid looters.

I personally wouldn't go a shelter, I would go to an affordable hotel far inland until the storm leaves the area I know not everybody can afford that, especially those who don't drive.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
There are many places that take animals including shelters I saw it all the time on the weather channel and here in Florida. It is a top priority because they know many people would rather die than leave their pets behind. They learned their lesson with Katrina.

You are not gonna be locked out of your property for weeks. Make sure your id is upto date and it reflects your address. They will have checkpoints to avoid looters.

I personally wouldn't go a shelter, I would go to an affordable hotel far inland until the storm leaves the area I know not everybody can afford that, especially those who don't drive.
The shelters that were opened limited the number of pets a person could bring with them. You might have missed that. Some areas had very FEW shelters that took pets.

Not locked out for weeks? Many people no longer have homes to go home to! There's an entire neighborhood in Queens and one in Jersey that burned to the ground. The one in Queens you'd never know there were houses except for the concert foundations. Many homes we also destroyed or moved off their foundations from the waves. Thousands of homes have such severe damage that they are now uninhabitable until major repairs are made.

Looting has happened. Plenty of it. There aren't checkpoints to check ids. It's a nice thought, but it's not reality.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Not locked out for weeks? Many people no longer have homes to go home to! There's an entire neighborhood in Queens and one in Jersey that burned to the ground. The one in Queens you'd never know there were houses except for the concert foundations. Many homes we also destroyed or moved off their foundations from the waves. Thousands of homes have such severe damage that they are now uninhabitable until major repairs are made.

Looting has happened. Plenty of it. There aren't checkpoints to check ids. It's a nice thought, but it's not reality.
If your home burn to the ground or the only thing left was a concrete foundation I HIGHLY doubt it would have been a better decision to stay. I'm obviously referring to those homes that are still habitable, even without power. Losing power is not the end of the world.

Of course looting happens, I just told you to have your ID upto date so you can come back, not the government will keep your home safe. Many looters live in the same area, but checking IDs will avoid additional looting.

In your case, you make your own decisions and you have to live with the consequences of your actions. I hope it's only you and no children or elderly people live with you. You can either try to get as many pets as safe as possible and if necessary leave some of them behind, or you can just stay there and if somebody dies hopefully you can live with the guilt.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
People get scared of looters and decide to stay, like the guy who had his home looted during Irene when he evacuated, and decided to stay for this one. I think it was in Staten Island. You could actually see the sea on camera when they were showing his home on TV. He and his young daughter died.

I think people should take this storm as a warning sign. Set your priorities straight. Imagine if next time you manage to survive but one of your children relatives dies? Could you live with that decision?
Things can be replaced. People can't. Hopefully this storm will be a wake up call, but I tend to think I'm being optimistic.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The shelters were accepting pets, so it wasn't a moot point.

Quote:
Maybe you missed my point. let me spell it out for you.

People who were told to evacuate didn't. Then the limited resources of first responders had to go take care of their sorry asses while people who weren't told to evacuate had to wait even longer for help as a result. Is that more clear?

Quote:
Um, there is power at the shelters. You are allowed to bring a bag. Most have showers as well. Take a shower and go to work. It's not rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York