Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 AM

169 posts, read 331,149 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

Really need some help here-so confused!!
My child has high functuining autism/aspergers and we are looking between arlington and spackenkill. I understand that spackenkill has better scores as far as district is concerned, but my question is regrading special education-which is better? esp at the elementary level? Our housing choice is going to depend on this too and we have to make a decision FAST.

we are looking at possibly Traver Road in Pleasant Valley area of Hudson Valley. Can someone tell me what thier experience has been with school in general and special ed in particular! you will be helping our family immensely! Thank you so much....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,211 times
My hyper-active high-functioning son diagnosed with Aspergers, it worked very poorly. He is 32 and is medicated for essential tremors which I suspect motivated some of his behaviors. He went to Traver Road and Spackenkill. Spackenkill was less violent, especially in Middle School, but that was 20 years ago. He was transported downstate to attend school in Ossining where he learned to smoke cigarettes and engage in substance abuse (he had no problem before then and quit when he got out). So, I have a negative perspective but a valid one. When I was there one teacher was arrested for nine counts of child endangerment and another was fired for having sex with his teenage student.

Special Ed tends to be where that stick kids with problems to separate them from the mainstream and intensely immerse them in troubling behaviors. I knew kids who were sent to rehab for slamming the door or binging on candy. In both cases, it actually helped. The parents are as altered as the children. My son tells me now, they were very authoritarian. I wish I could have home-school him and sent him to Dutchess Community College when he was 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York