Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:22 AM

49 posts, read 356,058 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the various posts here about the Binghamton area...some dating back a year or so ago. It has seemed to me that Binghamton is improving, albeit somewhat slowly, over the last few years. My family has a 30+ year history in this area...Endicott mostly, but I have recently been in downtown Binghamton almost every day in the last few months. What I have seen has been surprising and very positive. The downtown is looking very clean, the buildings are being restored, some newer looking businesses look to be on the verge of opening.
I have been back and forth to this area a few times since graduating high school and this is the best that I have seen the downtown look in years.
My father worked for IBM for his entire career and the area really took a hit when IBM left, but I think things are really starting to improve. I know that many of these things have been talked about on here before, but what do you really think the future is for Binghamton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 PM

21 posts, read 34,791 times
Thumbs down No

I am now living in Syracuse NY. I am a recent graduate of BHS (4 years ago) and the school system itself is getting worse and more crowded with people. I think the ratio of students to teachers is something like 26 to 1, which is quite high for a city of that size. I had also attended BCC and was more than willing to leave the area after the two years was up. As for the city in general, the government keeps focusing attention on the small problems, rather than worrying about possible problems in the future (jobs, increase in crime etc...). Though a few structures and buildings are being refurbished, downtown and the areas that really need development are completely ignored. Downtown for the most part is still a ghost town and 90% of the people that rome around there are involved with drugs whether it be buying, selling, or transporting them somewhere else. Binghamton isn't the only city going through this struggle, but the people living there have given up way too easily. In general I have given up with the entire upstate NY region, which is why I am going to move to either Lakeland, Orange Park, or a suburb of Orlando FL. Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 AM

Thank you, that was helpful. It is interesting to hear a viewpoint from someone who went to BHS not too long ago. As an outsider looking at Binghamton, it looks better, but then, the areas that are really bad are probably not visible to a casual visitor. And also, there is the continuing issue of how to bring more jobs to the area if things are really going to change much. I appreciate your viewpoint.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,311 times
RedSox fan should explore the posts of all the upstaters who moved to Florida and hate it and/or are moving back. Florida is hot and expensive, and has lots of low-paying jobs. Now may be a better time to move there because the real estate market is collapsing. But even so you have to put up with hurricanes, nuclear cockroaches, and a topography that ranges from one foot above seal level to three feet above sea level

Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 AM

21 posts, read 34,791 times
Wink It all depends on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
RedSox fan should explore the posts of all the upstaters who moved to Florida and hate it and/or are moving back. Florida is hot and expensive, and has lots of low-paying jobs. Now may be a better time to move there because the real estate market is collapsing. But even so you have to put up with hurricanes, nuclear cockroaches, and a topography that ranges from one foot above seal level to three feet above sea level
I try to explore things on my own. I am not really a big fan of taking advice from others over the internet, so I figured it would be best to see for myself if Florida is the best move for me. I may regret it and I might like it, but it all depends on what I decide to make out of it. As for the topography issue, my parents live in Conklin, NY and they told me it was the strangest thing when they were rescued from the June 2006 flood by boat and just down the road from them the houses were completely submerged under water and rescue boats were cruising over them. Anyhow, like I said before it all depends on what you make out of it and I'm going to take my chances on Florida.

Peace

Last edited by Redsoxfan34; 10-08-2007 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Additional Information

Old 10-13-2007, 04:08 PM

11 posts, read 32,782 times
Awww I love Bingoland.
Wegmans, Nirchi's, Lupo's, Lost Dog Cafe...
It is really sad to see how it has turned out.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:09 PM

24 posts, read 24,998 times
Default Better? No it could not be worse

Do your homework

Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Check you attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by economicoutlook View Post
Do your homework
Do you still live in Binghamton or not? In one of your posts you say you do, in another you say you have left. I am not sure how to respond to you since I don't even know if you live there anymore. And maybe you don't know either.

As far as doing my homework....as you seriously suggesting that I should not post a question in these forums asking for opinions? I have done my homework...I do not know what the future is for Binghamton and the area in general...I am only sorry that you were unable to respond in a helpful and polite way.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Actually, let me add this

After being insulted because I asked a question, I will try to clear up why I asked it in the first place. Not that I should have to, of course.

The improvements that I have seen and am seeing in Binghamton have been the result of the Restore NY plan. For non-New Yorkers who do not know this, Binghamton received just over 1.5 million dollars to clean up and improve the city and is now hoping to receive several million more in the next phase of the plan. Other cities in NY have also received money, but I believe Binghamton received one of the highest-awarded amounts per capita. The river front is very attractive, some awful looking buildings have been demolished, and many still present buildings are undergoing renovations. There are several lofts now available in downtown Binghamton...looked at one and it is very attractive. The new Binghamton University building is a perfect addition to the city and does seem to be helping to bring people into the downtown area. This building was just opened less than two months ago, I think...therefore people who are very knowledgeable about Binghamton 2, 3, 4, or more years ago and have left since can not possibly know what has been happening in the last year or so with too much accuracy. The area farther down Court Street has been worked on, with trees recently being planted to make it much more welcoming. I have seen at least a few of the bridges getting much needed work done on them. If these are not improvements, then I do not know what would qualify as such. As far as the overall economic health of the city..I believe that it is still very difficult. However, I do not see how any city who hopes to attract new people can afford to look as bad as Binghamton has in the past and still does in many areas. People do not move to "Ugly", U.S.A.
I wholeheartedly agree that Binghamton's worst problem seems to be the outlook of it's citizens and a pessimism that seems to know no bounds. I worry that because of this factor, Binghamton may not realize the potential that clearly does exist in that city and the area. I have lived other places....Phoenix, AZ, outskirts of Boston, MA, and London, England. Slightly larger cities, would you not agree? But yet I still see potential in Binghamton, of all places.
I was simply hoping to engender more discussion about Binghamton. I personally do not have a reason to be overly concerned whether this area prospers or falls into obscurity completely. I would think that some people do, however, and that they would be the first persons involved in helping the city and contributing to a renewal.

I have a good feeling that I will not get any responses from residents of Binghamton here, except perhaps a nasty response or sarcasm as seems to be the rule. It is your city, you decide what you want. The only thing you accomplish with such a horrible attitude is encouraging more people to never come here, therefore Binghamton never sees better times, therefore you can continue to live in a bad place.

I applaud those who have defended the area in other threads/posts. I hope that you will continue to do so. This area needs more people like you.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:12 PM

136 posts, read 998,328 times
Default Optimism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate--uk View Post
After being insulted because I asked a question, I will try to clear up why I asked it in the first place. Not that I should have to, of course.

The improvements that I have seen and am seeing in Binghamton have been the result of the Restore NY plan. For non-New Yorkers who do not know this, Binghamton received just over 1.5 million dollars to clean up and improve the city and is now hoping to receive several million more in the next phase of the plan. Other cities in NY have also received money, but I believe Binghamton received one of the highest-awarded amounts per capita. The river front is very attractive, some awful looking buildings have been demolished, and many still present buildings are undergoing renovations. There are several lofts now available in downtown Binghamton...looked at one and it is very attractive. The new Binghamton University building is a perfect addition to the city and does seem to be helping to bring people into the downtown area. This building was just opened less than two months ago, I think...therefore people who are very knowledgeable about Binghamton 2, 3, 4, or more years ago and have left since can not possibly know what has been happening in the last year or so with too much accuracy. The area farther down Court Street has been worked on, with trees recently being planted to make it much more welcoming. I have seen at least a few of the bridges getting much needed work done on them. If these are not improvements, then I do not know what would qualify as such. As far as the overall economic health of the city..I believe that it is still very difficult. However, I do not see how any city who hopes to attract new people can afford to look as bad as Binghamton has in the past and still does in many areas. People do not move to "Ugly", U.S.A.
I wholeheartedly agree that Binghamton's worst problem seems to be the outlook of it's citizens and a pessimism that seems to know no bounds. I worry that because of this factor, Binghamton may not realize the potential that clearly does exist in that city and the area. I have lived other places....Phoenix, AZ, outskirts of Boston, MA, and London, England. Slightly larger cities, would you not agree? But yet I still see potential in Binghamton, of all places.
I was simply hoping to engender more discussion about Binghamton. I personally do not have a reason to be overly concerned whether this area prospers or falls into obscurity completely. I would think that some people do, however, and that they would be the first persons involved in helping the city and contributing to a renewal.

I have a good feeling that I will not get any responses from residents of Binghamton here, except perhaps a nasty response or sarcasm as seems to be the rule. It is your city, you decide what you want. The only thing you accomplish with such a horrible attitude is encouraging more people to never come here, therefore Binghamton never sees better times, therefore you can continue to live in a bad place.

I applaud those who have defended the area in other threads/posts. I hope that you will continue to do so. This area needs more people like you.
From the many photos of Binghamton I've seen posted here along with the amount of recent good news and good press, I would have to say that Binghamton is on the up-swing and heading in the right direction. Nothing happens overnight, but much good appears to have taken place there within the last two years. I've never been there, but it is on my list to check out and I met a woman from Binghamton recently and she loves the place and would like to move back if she could talk her husband into it.

There are always going to be nay-sayers and doom and gloom posts....I must say I've probably had one or two negative posts myself, but I think that many upstate towns and cities have turned the corner towards a brighter future. I'll take optimism and hope over negativity anytime. Anyplace that I have ever lived and enjoyed has been bashed on this site at one time or another, we are all different people. Some just choose to post negative comments in an immature manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York