Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM

628 posts, read 663,461 times

Advertisements

I remember a few years back hearing that Poughkeepsie was steadily gaining in populaiton as nyc commuters ventured further north (met-north line being very conveniant in poughkeepsie), also they were gaining other upstaters who dont commute to the city but wanted to be closer to the train.

So my question is, has there been any rise in development in the area? Specifically any large subdivisions being built? I thought I remembered a 40 or so acre area that was supposed to turn into a subdivision but looks like nothing happened - cant remember the name of it though.

Very curious on this, so thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 13,884 times
My family and I are looking to relocate off long island, possibly to that area. We've been finding a lot of new homes in that area, w/ arlington schools. Stratford Farms is the name of one.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckatch View Post
My family and I are looking to relocate off long island, possibly to that area. We've been finding a lot of new homes in that area, w/ arlington schools. Stratford Farms is the name of one.
Thanks for the tip. Are you a NYC commuter by any chance?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM

6 posts, read 13,884 times
My husband commutes to rye now, but could potentially work in manhattan. I'm home with our kids most days and work locally part time

Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckatch View Post
My husband commutes to rye now, but could potentially work in manhattan. I'm home with our kids most days and work locally part time
That's good to hear. I could also potentially commute to the city and am interested to know how the area is for commuters.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Can I make a suggestion to the folks who are considering doing the commute. DONT. As a resident who moved up there almost 15 years ago as a newlywed..and thought "its just another 25 minutes". (was commuting to westchester armonk area)...Once the kids come around...you will spend more time commuting and less time with your family. And if you think dutchess (specifically arlington schools) are cheaper...maybe. But unless you want to buy a closet for 300k. the "real homes" start at 400-500. Look at all the new developments, toll brothers, lennar...and the taxes in arlington are high. I am at about 9000k for a raised ranch home. The job ended up switching to manhattan and still it was like no problem..just home on metro north. You will spend at least 70-80 minutes each way commuting from south dutchess.

Just keep that in mind. I love south dutchess county, its wonderful, and the area is great for kids..I would only plug arlington schools since that is where we are zoned for and they are stellar. However IF we had to do it over again, we wouldnt have moved up so far knowing that we were in south westchester for work..much less NYC. If you can swing a job in north westchester/danbury/poughkeepsie/newburgh. Thats fine. So many people moved up here in the 2000's thinking the same thing. You get more for your money up here and "whats the big deal, everyone commutes an hour". In the winter time anything above the 84 will get at least 30% more snow in the city. If NYC is getting 2 inches....we are getting 8! Which if you are driving..makes your ordinary commute of maybe an hour to the lower westchester area about almost 2.

you can search via my screen name for dutchess. I love the area so much, we rented out our property and dont want to sell it..but we wont be moving back....the commute took away from too much family time.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 PM

14 posts, read 41,560 times
There are many subdivisions that have been built in the last 5 years alone. Of course, building slowed down in the last couple of years, but there are many subdivisions particularly in Lagrange, Beekman and Hopewell Junction (East Fishkill) which are closest to Taconic. Also in Poughkeepsie town are a few new ones. None really exist in the Millbrook area, which remains to be large equestrian type properties due to its "hunt country" location. These subdivisions have everything from smaller mid 400's to larger ones in the 700's-800's. Mostly though, mid range between the two.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
You don't have to spend $400K for a real home. Please. Only if you are wanted to own a McMansion and work you rear end off never to spend time in it because your mortgage is outrageous. Rule of thumb used to be 1 1/2 times your income to buy a home-that way you don't get in over your head. I've seen way too many go up on foreclosure around here because of unrealistic expectations and job losses. There are nice homes that are here and not only in "new" developments. This link will help you see what's there. Mid Hudson MLS ~ Dutchess County NY It's a buyers market right now as prices have come way down on homes here. But a better suggestion. Rent first. Don't lock yourself into a home if you are unsure you'll like this area and the commute. You are better off renting to get a feel for the area. Our new neighbors are from LI and she thought it was wonderful visiting the country here for years to see cousins-but finding it a whole new ball game living here. It was not what she expected at all. She is regretting the move and plans on heading back. Do research about where the neighborhoods you are looking into are-visit at different times of the day, talk to people who are out and about. Go to Dutchess County ParcelAccess and look at the property you are interested in. Do your homework before coming, you'll be happier you did.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 PM

21 posts, read 62,346 times
Firstly, the city or town of Poughkeepsie? They are different. I'm assuming the town since the city is urban and only 5 square miles. The answer is absolutely!! Entire lower-mid Duchess county has boomed and the fastest growing in entire NYS. Soooooo many ppl have moved up here. New developments every where especially further out in the eastern part of town near Overrocker and Rte 44 & 55.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,321 times
Default Concerned about the quick turn around rate in East Fishkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Can I make a suggestion to the folks who are considering doing the commute. DONT. As a resident who moved up there almost 15 years ago as a newlywed..and thought "its just another 25 minutes". (was commuting to westchester armonk area)...Once the kids come around...you will spend more time commuting and less time with your family. And if you think dutchess (specifically arlington schools) are cheaper...maybe. But unless you want to buy a closet for 300k. the "real homes" start at 400-500. Look at all the new developments, toll brothers, lennar...and the taxes in arlington are high. I am at about 9000k for a raised ranch home. The job ended up switching to manhattan and still it was like no problem..just home on metro north. You will spend at least 70-80 minutes each way commuting from south dutchess.

Just keep that in mind. I love south dutchess county, its wonderful, and the area is great for kids..I would only plug arlington schools since that is where we are zoned for and they are stellar. However IF we had to do it over again, we wouldnt have moved up so far knowing that we were in south westchester for work..much less NYC. If you can swing a job in north westchester/danbury/poughkeepsie/newburgh. Thats fine. So many people moved up here in the 2000's thinking the same thing. You get more for your money up here and "whats the big deal, everyone commutes an hour". In the winter time anything above the 84 will get at least 30% more snow in the city. If NYC is getting 2 inches....we are getting 8! Which if you are driving..makes your ordinary commute of maybe an hour to the lower westchester area about almost 2.

you can search via my screen name for dutchess. I love the area so much, we rented out our property and dont want to sell it..but we wont be moving back....the commute took away from too much family time.

Since you lived in the area for so long and are very knowledgeable about it, I would like to know if East Fishkill is a highly transient area? Meaning, people move into the area, and then move out again a year or two later? If so, why do they move out so quickly?

I have been looking at homes for sale in Hopewell Junction and see that some have only been owned by the current owners for a year and are back on the market, many times for less than what the owner paid for it only the year before. This is a huge concern of mine.

My husband and I were casualties of the housing market crash in 2008. We lived in South Florida and had a business there. When the recession hit, business came to a halt and my husband had to take a job in Manhattan, so we moved back to NYC (we currently live in one of the outer boroughs). We couldn't sell our house in Fl because the value dropped so much, so we were forced to foreclose on it. It was a nightmare and I am so afraid of that happening again if we buy in an area where the housing market is suffering.

Can you offer some insight as to the stability of East Fishkill? We absolutely love the area and feel it would be a good move for our family, but are hesitant to make a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York