Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 AM

74 posts, read 151,213 times

Advertisements

looking at several places in the area and Lowville seems very appealing. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
It is a village of about 4000 in Lewis County, which is very rural. Lowville does have a hospital(Lewis County General) and the school district has about 1500 kids in it. There is a Kraft Foods plant there as well. It used to have military housing, but now it is privatized. I believe that some military folks still live there though. There is a Mennonite community or presence in the area too. Watertown is the closest city and where you would go for major shopping, but some take that trip to Utica or Rome down Routes 12 or 26 for shopping as well. Generally nice people and if you want small town America, it is a good choice. A bit out there, but it could work.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Also, there is a movie theater, a McDonalds, a Wal*Mart Supercenter, a Tops Supermarket, a car dealership, a JC Penney Catalog Center, a Farmers Co-Op store, a Tractor Supply Company store, some other restaurants and the county fairgorunds. Here is a streetview of the village: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lowvi...255.34,,0,-1.6

and more information: Lowville Town Hall Theater

Lewis County General Hospital - Home

lewiscountyfair

lowvillecoop.doitbest.com - Lowville Farmers Coop

Lowville Academy and Central School

Google

Lowville Cheese Store | Croghan Bologna, NY Extra Sharp Cheese, Cheese and Maple Syrup Gift Boxes

Nortz & Virkler Inc. - Your Lowville, New York Ford dealer for new and used vehicle sales and service

Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 AM

74 posts, read 151,213 times
Thanks for the info. In the research phase. Looking to retire and do a little farming. I think the tax issue might make me keep looking at other states. To bad it seems upstate has allot to offer but the tax burden might push it out of the realm of possibility,

Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circleg View Post
Thanks for the info. In the research phase. Looking to retire and do a little farming. I think the tax issue might make me keep looking at other states. To bad it seems upstate has allot to offer but the tax burden might push it out of the realm of possibility,
You have to keep in mind that there are property tax exemptions for agricultural properties and for seniors, along with STAR. So, the taxes you see aren't necessarily what you pay. Check this out: Property tax exemptions

Old 09-14-2022, 11:34 AM

An annual festival in the Lewis County village, Lowville ready for annual cream cheese celebration: https://www.wwnytv.com/2022/09/14/lo...e-celebration/

Just to touch on the previous posts above, Lewis County has one of the lowest property tax rates in the state. So, for those looking for a more rural/small town area that isn't too far from cities(Utica, Rome and Watertown particularly, with Syracuse about an hour and 20 minutes away), this may be the type of community you are looking for.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:18 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Has anyone seen the taxes down south lately? Ain’t no bargain no more.
Yeah you get a little more bang for your buck, generally speaking, but it ain’t the land of the cheap anymore. Then depending where you go, you could be absolutely clobbered over the head with property insurances.
Just something to consider.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Has anyone seen the taxes down south lately? Ain’t no bargain no more.
Yeah you get a little more bang for your buck, generally speaking, but it ain’t the land of the cheap anymore. Then depending where you go, you could be absolutely clobbered over the head with property insurances.
Just something to consider.
Yup and a place like Lowville/Lewis County could appeal to those that want a rural area, like winter sports/activities, a quiet/safe environment, while not being too secluded. Personally, I would would probably look into part of the county in the Carthage SD, which puts you closer to shopping and if diversity is something that is a part of one's criteria, the SD is decent in that regard.

Another indicator of the affordability of land is the Amish/Mennonite presence.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:52 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Upstate NY is very beautiful;the many old farms in Lewis and Jefferson counties and the rolling landscapes. I don't live there now but I have been there often to visit dozens of cousins. My Dad was born in the area 1925.

Although Lewis county is inland, the neighboring northward Jefferson county is on the shores of one of the Great Lakes, Lake Ontario, Lowville is close (83 miles) to Canadian border and 54 miles from the Thousand Islands, great for touring day-drives.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:31 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yup and a place like Lowville/Lewis County could appeal to those that want a rural area, like winter sports/activities, a quiet/safe environment, while not being too secluded. Personally, I would would probably look into part of the county in the Carthage SD, which puts you closer to shopping and if diversity is something that is a part of one's criteria, the SD is decent in that regard.

Another indicator of the affordability of land is the Amish/Mennonite presence.
Could also depend on where the op is coming from.
Potential culture shock on a biblical level.
It’s a wonderful area, but it’s not for everyone. Living rural and running a farm, hobby or otherwise seems great in a dream bubble floating over your head but the reality could be very different. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York