Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,027 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job offer in the Corning/Painted Post area. I am a 22-year old recent college graduate. I really like the town of Ithaca, because it is a college-town, and will have more people my age than other areas nearby. However, I am not sure if it is feasible to drive from Ithaca to the Corning/Painted Post area daily. According to Google Maps, the commute is 1 hour. Is this accurate? Do I have to consider rush-hour traffic? Does the winter or summer weather cause difficulties commuting? Is living in Ithaca a good idea if my work is in the Corning/Painted Post area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 PM

473 posts, read 2,755,136 times
The 13 South I think takes you straight there from Ithaca. I don't remember it taking that long, but it's been a couple years since I've lived there. It is a haul though, and the time might be more accurate in the winter, since you'll be driving slower and at the mercy of the road conditions. It can be done, people have commuted longer. I used to hear of people living in Ithaca who'd commute to Syracuse, which is a little bit farther.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:21 PM

17 posts, read 30,547 times
It's doable, but it isn't going to be fun. Especially during the winter. You could do a 6-month lease in Ithaca to test the waters to see if it's a commute you'd want to make.

It's a tough call to make. Corning isn't a bad place, but it's really more catered towards family/kids than young adult. I am from around this area (Horseheads), and I am currently in the process of trying to relocate. If I could find a job in Ithaca, I'd probably live there. In the same light, if I found a job in the Corning area that paid well and offered a future, I'd consider living in Corning too (I am biased though, because I have family and friends here).

The nightlife in Corning is okay. Like I said, it is catered to a more mature crowd (except for maybe Maley's/Lando's), but it isn't too bad. There's also Elmira for nightlife, but I am not a big fan. Not my crowd.

I don't really know your interests or what you are looking for, but Ithaca is a lot younger and there is more going on. There's not much to do in Corning for someone your age (I'm 25 for reference, and like I said, I'm trying to get out).

Old 12-19-2013, 09:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
You are better off living in Corning and spending your weekends in Ithaca. That Monday through Friday drive will kill you. And your bosses, whether they say so or not, will not be pleased that you are living in Ithaca. They're thinking - what's the matter, Corning's not good enough for you?

Old 12-20-2013, 05:32 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I also wonder if a happy medium could be a place like Horseheads, which has plenty of shopping close by and is kind of in between the 2 cities.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:07 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,535 times
13 will take you to Horseheads and then it's a little bit of a haul from there west on 86- not a fun winter drive. You could go halfway and move to Horseheads/Elmira Heights.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:44 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,682 times
The commute sounds about right, but I'd look for a place to live that's towards the southwestern edge of town so as to avoid as much of the Meadow St/downtown Ithaca traffic as possible. And be aware that the commute may get MUCH longer if the weather is poor, which is much of the year.

Honestly, though, I think that living close to work and finding an Ithaca social life on the weekends is the way to go. Think of it as 2-4 hours of driving most weeks vs. guaranteed 10 hours of driving to work every single week. With all that driving, I'd be too tired to have fun on weeknights anyhow.

As a compromise I'd consider Elmira, which is less than half the commute yet still with a college in town.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:48 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Route 13 is a pretty good road but you can get behind a truck or a slow driver and lose a lot of time. Winter driving can also be a nightmare. NY 17 (I-86) can get busy during morning and evening rush hours and especially around the Arnot Mall and more heavy trucks are now using the road as an alternative to I-80 and the NYS Thruway. Figure at least 1 1/2 hours each way on average; more if you will be working at the Corning Environmental Technologies unit which is almost at the PA border.

If you like the youth and cultural scene in the Ithaca area, I don't think that you'll like the Elmira (Heights) Horseheads area. Painted Post/Gang Mills/Corning/Addison areas are OK but as has been mentioned, these places are family oriented. The Market Street scene in Corning used to be a lot livelier than it is now, but many of the swingingest restaurants and bars have shut down since the last recession.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:34 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
yeah ... depending on the where/whats/traffic you are looking anywhere between 45 minutes on a good day and 1:15 on a bad

it's something that can be done, but you're going to cover a good amount of miles

I have a buddy who works in Corning and lives in a pretty rural area south of Ithaca and commutes in

At 22 Corning may be a bit limiting and Ithaca definitely would be more fun .... but Corning isn't a bad place and it isn't exactly devoid of some things to do ......... honesty, I'd consider living there or Horseheads and then simply heading out to Ithaca every now and again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York