Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 AM

10 posts, read 13,287 times

Advertisements

Greatly appreciate any feedback from those who know the Ulster County (Gardiner, NY) and Orange County (Middletown) areas well. My question is that I am contemplating re-locating up that way for a job at the new ORMC (Orange Regional Medical Center) Hospital in Middletown, NY. In looking at real estate have not found any real "nice" and newer home developments closer by. The one development I found that I also REALLY like, is the "Mountain View" development (Toll Brothers Homes) in Gardiner, just off the 44 and 208. When I mapquest directions from the Hospital, it has me going due south on Rt. 208, until I pick up I-84 towards Middletown. Mapquest says it's a 25 mile drive, and a driving time of 35 minutes. Thats at my extreme max that I want for a commute, especially where I may need to go in late at night. Anyone know is that distance and driving time sounds correct? I have heard often that Mapquest always over-compensates on "driving times". Would love to know if this drive is less than 35 minutes? Also if its a good drive or a bad road (congestion, traffic lights etc.). Had someone tell me taking "Albany Post Rd. all the way down would be faster due to not going through Walden or other towns, and less traffic lights? Although Mapquest has this route as taking a bit longer. Would GREATLY appreciate any detailed feedback from anyone that may know this area and this route.
Also, any input about the area would be great. Any "other" new developments closer, with nice homes? If lving in Gardiner area, where to shop etc. Is there any real crime in this area (Ulster County) anything to do or see in New Paltz? Looks like I would be about 9 miles south of New Paltz, so would assume this would be my weekend shopping. Any Lowes or Home Depot's in the area? What's the good restaurants? Any areas to avoid? What about Middletown, any info? Thank you very much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 PM

21 views and no remarks, LOL. Does anyone not know this area well? Thanks in advance

Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 PM

86 posts, read 206,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNorth16365 View Post
Greatly appreciate any feedback from those who know the Ulster County (Gardiner, NY) and Orange County (Middletown) areas well. My question is that I am contemplating re-locating up that way for a job at the new ORMC (Orange Regional Medical Center) Hospital in Middletown, NY. In looking at real estate have not found any real "nice" and newer home developments closer by. The one development I found that I also REALLY like, is the "Mountain View" development (Toll Brothers Homes) in Gardiner, just off the 44 and 208. When I mapquest directions from the Hospital, it has me going due south on Rt. 208, until I pick up I-84 towards Middletown. Mapquest says it's a 25 mile drive, and a driving time of 35 minutes. Thats at my extreme max that I want for a commute, especially where I may need to go in late at night. Anyone know is that distance and driving time sounds correct? I have heard often that Mapquest always over-compensates on "driving times". Would love to know if this drive is less than 35 minutes? Also if its a good drive or a bad road (congestion, traffic lights etc.). Had someone tell me taking "Albany Post Rd. all the way down would be faster due to not going through Walden or other towns, and less traffic lights? Although Mapquest has this route as taking a bit longer. Would GREATLY appreciate any detailed feedback from anyone that may know this area and this route.
Also, any input about the area would be great. Any "other" new developments closer, with nice homes? If lving in Gardiner area, where to shop etc. Is there any real crime in this area (Ulster County) anything to do or see in New Paltz? Looks like I would be about 9 miles south of New Paltz, so would assume this would be my weekend shopping. Any Lowes or Home Depot's in the area? What's the good restaurants? Any areas to avoid? What about Middletown, any info? Thank you very much in advance!!
I basically live on Albany Post Road.

I would say the two routes would be about the same. If you take 208, you do have to go through the Hamlet of Wallkill and the Village of Walden before you get to I-84. Albany Post Road would indeed make it so you avoid going through those villages, but you instead would have to go through the Village of Montgomery and take 211 over to Middletown. It is a little bit more direct, but you aren't taking the highway(which slows you down a little) so I imagine the time for the two routes would be very similar. I live probably 15-20 minutes or so from the hospital, and I would say I am approximately 15 minutes from Gardiner. So I would say 35 minutes is about right, maybe a few minutes less on the weekend. Starting from the intersection of 44 and 208 in Gardiner, and taking the 208 route, I believe you would pass through one traffic light in Walkill, one in Walden, and then one to get on the highway. Once you get to Middletown you would have to get in 17 East very briefly and then get off the highway on Crystal Run Road, which is basically right next to the hospital. There might be another light there. Taking the Albany Post route, you would have a traffic light where your turn on to Albany Post Road from 44, then another one when you cross over 52, and then a third one once you get to the village of Montgomery, at which point you would be turning from 17k on to 211. You would have to make a left on to Scotchtown road once you were close to Middletown, where there you be a light and then maybe one more before you get to the hospital. I don't think there will be much congestion on either route.

As for your local area, I can't say too much about any local developments, but I can tell you that Gardiner and the surrounding area are about as safe as you're going to find. New Paltz is a very liberal college town. You might call it a "hippie" town. It has a Stop and Shop, and pizzeria, a small movie theater, a McDonalds and your typical town stuff. Your closest grocery store would be right down the road, Hannafords, which is in Modena, at the intersection of 44 and 32. Your closest Home Depot and Lowes would probably be in the town of Newburgh, which is probably a hair closer to you than Middletown, although I believe(but could be wrong) that Middletown has both Lowes and Home Depot as well.

As for restaurants, I will say New Paltz has a number of good ones. I personally like P&G's.

If you have any other questions about the area, I'm happy to answer them as well.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM

Red4Tribe, thank you so very much for the info. Very much appreciated, its a big help!! I hear what your saying, sounds like the commute from Gardiner down to the Hospital in Middletown is doable and can be done in roughly 30 minutes. I know you all have had a ton of snow the last couple winters, are they good about getting these more rural route roads (Rt. 208, Albany Post Rd.) cleared of snow/ice quickly? Just curious if when inclement weather rolls in, if I will have the drive from hell.
Lastly, I am currently down south and as you can tell, Im not very familiar with the area, I read some Horrifying stories about the crime in NewBurgh. Top 10 most dangerous cities in the nation! I was shocked. I realize this would be a good 15 miles from the area im looking at (Gardiner) but my question is, with that amount of crime and violence (organized gangs) does it ever spill out to the outlying areas, in particular the shopping malls etc. (Galleria in Middletown, Poughkeepsie malls etc.) I have two young daughters, and my concern is that if we settle down here, eventually they are going to be teenagers that want to hang out at the malls on weekends etc. What level of concern should I have for their safety? I know you already answered (and I appreciate that) we would be in a safe area, but the articles im seeing about Newburgh are jaw dropping, like one of the most violent and dangerous little spots in the entire country, and most of it is of an organzied nature (gangs). Curious if there has been stories of this venturing out to the other cities/villages (Home Invasion Robberies etc.) As one thing I learned from having been a State Police Officer for several years, is that the organized criminals tend to travel to the nicer areas to commit specific crimes (property crimes, Home Invasion, bUrglary etc.) I realize I sound over-paranoid, but thats what happens once you have been in Law Enforcement and seen the results of crime and violence on a daily basis, add the fact I dont know this area, have two small children and I would have to admit the stories Im hearing about Newburgh are terrifying. Hey, thanks again, really appreciate your help. There is nothing like someone that is actually there to give you insight. Thanks again!!!!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:48 PM

You're welcome!

As for the snow, I suspect our definitions of what it okay to drive on may differ slightly(as you are from the south), but I feel like they take care of the rural roads pretty well. 208 is a state road while Albany Post is a county road so 208 will generally be in better condition in winter weather.

For as bad as Newburgh is statistically, it does get overblown. I went to college in Newburgh, interned in the city government as an undergraduate, and lived in the Town of Newburgh for a number of years when I was younger. Much of the violence is inner city gang violence, it doesn't tend to spill out beyond certain areas of the city. The Town of Newburgh, which is within just a few minutes of the city, is completely safe never mind Gardiner which is probably a half an hour away. Newburgh is really two different worlds. You have very nice, beautiful sections of the town and then you get to the city which is run down in many areas. The two locations are only close geographically, otherwise they are as different as can be. You have nothing to fear in Gardiner.

As for your daughters hanging out at the malls, you have nothing to fear there either. The Newburgh Mall(in the town) is really small and no one really goes there anymore. The Poughkeepsie and Middletown Malls are both decent and safe. I certainly would not suggest getting out of your car in the city of Newburgh after dusk, but everywhere else nearby is very safe. And almost everything you would have to do in Newburgh is in the town, rather than the city. There is large developed stretch on route 300 in the town which has the Home Depot, the Lowes, Fridays, Chilis, Longhorns, the Newburgh Mall, Walmart and many other things. I have probably been on this stretch a million times and not once felt remotely unsafe.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 PM

Red4Tribe, thanks again. Good points, I know at times crime can be "over hyped" as this is usually to serve someone else's motives (ie: justify budget spending etc.) Sounds like I will have no business in the city of NewBurgh anyway. By the way, Im just down south (Georgia) but not from down south. Born and raised in Boston, lived for many years in Colorado as well during my military time. I like to think I can drive in the snow, just wanted to see if they plowed these routes quickly. Good tip on 208, sounds thats the better route when the snow comes. Thanks again, Im sure I will have more questions arise in the coming weeks, hope you dont mind. Thanks again

Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 PM

Sure, no problem. And I see what you're saying, I initially thought you meant you were southern born and raised! I come on here at least a three or four times a week if not more so I'd be happy to answer anything else you wish to know more about.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:52 PM

Much appreciated. Do you know know anything about good/bad daycares or schools? We would need to find a "good" daycare at first. Found one on New Paltz that looks good (atleast online) but not thrilled with it being in the opposite direction of our commute to Middletown, although its very close to where we want to live. Any bad daycares we should avoid, any been in the news for anything negative? Saw one in Gardiner, wich would be ideal from a "location" standpoint, but it looks to be someones house, we want to avoid those type od daycares and find more of a "Professionally Run DayCare Facility". Not sure you have insight into this area, or the public and private school reputations, but as always, appreciate any feedback. Thanks again

Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNorth16365 View Post
Much appreciated. Do you know know anything about good/bad daycares or schools? We would need to find a "good" daycare at first. Found one on New Paltz that looks good (atleast online) but not thrilled with it being in the opposite direction of our commute to Middletown, although its very close to where we want to live. Any bad daycares we should avoid, any been in the news for anything negative? Saw one in Gardiner, wich would be ideal from a "location" standpoint, but it looks to be someones house, we want to avoid those type od daycares and find more of a "Professionally Run DayCare Facility". Not sure you have insight into this area, or the public and private school reputations, but as always, appreciate any feedback. Thanks again
I can't say I'm quite as knowledge on that subject, and I know nothing about local daycares. As for school districts, I can point out the obvious and say the Newburgh school district is not somewhere where you want your children attending. Probably not Middletown either. Other districts, such as Valley Central and Wallkill, are good school districts. The only private school I really know anything about is the John S. Burke Catholic high School in Goshen. Lots of parents who live in Newburgh will send their children there. I think it has a good reputation for the most part.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 PM

Thanks again!! Is MIddletown that bad of an area? Sounds like its not nearly as bad as parts of Newburgh, but I notice others mention Middletown in the same category as cities to avoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York