Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 PM

4 posts, read 14,883 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering to move from Westchester county to Dutches county. The Red Hook area seems to be one of our prior options for its 'good' school district (we have a preschooler - soon to be a kindergardener) and cost/quality of living.

I get that Red Hook is a bit cheaper than Rheinbeck while offering a similar kind/level of amenities. But what about Milan? It's hard to find any community reviews about Milan. It seems that it's an higher income range place with higher living cost (according to city-data-com) than Red Hook. Is that true? Are there any good restaurants, artsy and children-oriented scenes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:27 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Here is some information on Milan: Census Tract 090000 in Dutchess County, New York

Town of Milan, New York

Milan, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the first link, it gives you an idea of the school districts that serve the town.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Red Hook's schools are more highly ranked than Rhinebeck's and are some of the best in the state outside of Westchester/LI. Red Hook is generally known as being more low key than Rhinebeck.

Red Hook's district covers portions of a number of towns/zip codes. You can live in Red Hook, Tivoli, parts of Rhinebeck, Clermont, Germantown, Milan, Elizaville. However, most of Milan is in the RH school district - I think a small portion of it is Pine Plains/Rhinebeck.

The town of Milan is extremely rural. If you live there, Red Hook and Rhinebeck are your downtowns and all of your amenities will be in one of those two towns. Both towns have art programs, a number of good restaurants, playgrounds, sports programs, etc.

There is some beautiful scenery and housing stock - a fair amount of second/weekend homes are located in Milan. It does tend to be a higher income area because of the scenery and the lot sizes as well as the relative quality/desirability of housing stock - you will find some really neat contemporaries and historic homes whereas Red Hook tends to have lots of your standard ranches, split levels, colonials on half acre lots.

I believe the prop taxes are on the high side in Milan relative to some other local towns. There are also some high voltage power lines cutting through the town - which people have varying opinions about.

Be prepared to drive 10-15 minutes to everything. Also don't expect to find a ton of housing in neighborhoods - homes will typically be on small cul de sacs or county (double yellow line) roads, although set back from the road.

Last edited by hvexpatinct; 03-14-2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM

What about Pine Plains schools? I noticed that it was listed as a district serving a part of the town of Milan.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:13 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
There is nothing wrong with Pine Plains, and it is a more affordable location for sure. It is a much smaller district - I think there are still two elementary schools, but just one junior/senior high school. It is much more rural in nature.

Red hook and rhinebeck schools are more desirable for a variety of reasons - greater variety of amenities, academic rigor (particularly at the high school level).

Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 PM

97 posts, read 146,836 times
Outside of my district (New Paltz in Ulster County) Red Hook is the only district in the Mid-Hudson Valley I would send my own children.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefslp View Post
Outside of my district (New Paltz in Ulster County) Red Hook is the only district in the Mid-Hudson Valley I would send my own children.
What about Onteora, Saugerties, Spackenkill or Rhinebeck? Is this due to quality and/or other factors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York