Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,995,509 times

Advertisements

Gotcha, another common myth down here is that Yankees wont touch grits. LOL I love grits, shrimp-n-grits is gotta be one of my top 5 favorite meals. I deal with a lot of northern relocatees, and they all seem to dislike grits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:48 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,275,452 times
Chucktown is where I would live in a heartbeat. I love your city and get there as often as possible.

For me it's the history. I could walk up and down Meeting St forever.

Right now, as always, I am streaming ChuckFM on the radio. I swear I listen so much if I was looking for a new car I'd head over to Ashley Phosphate or over to Goose Creek.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM

93,594 posts, read 124,322,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Gotcha, another common myth down here is that Yankees wont touch grits. LOL I love grits, shrimp-n-grits is gotta be one of my top 5 favorite meals. I deal with a lot of northern relocatees, and they all seem to dislike grits.
Many do, but it will depend on the background and experience of the person. Perhaps if the transplant is of Italian descent, just say they are very similar to polenta.

I grew up eating grits for breakfast. So, it isn't a big deal to me.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Chucktown is where I would live in a heartbeat. I love your city and get there as often as possible.

For me it's the history. I could walk up and down Meeting St forever.

Right now, as always, I am streaming ChuckFM on the radio. I swear I listen so much if I was looking for a new car I'd head over to Ashley Phosphate or over to Goose Creek.
Goooooose Crick! lol

Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 PM

Do you feel that our city is a good area investment wise? I mean is a million dollar beach front with 7K per week summer rental potential something that is talked about in circles up there? Or is it more, I'm tired of the weather and the hustle bustle and want to slow down now...

Sorry I'm prodding, but I love to know what a major source of my business (relocatees) is thinking about Charleston. To me it's about friendly folks, being able to walk around town and people say hi to you, less traffic, and being two minutes from the a creek, river, or the ocean... (And the shrimp and grits). And besides what people tell you, I am tickled that we are getting an influx of northerners to our little city. You are bringing good paying jobs, wealth, investments, and many many more benefits to the area and our economy.

Sure the growth will bring more traffic, but that spurs on land improvements, highway improvements, new schools etc. So please ya'll all welcome to come on down!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:20 PM

506 posts, read 1,026,731 times
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of plain grits, but throw some cheese, shrimp, tasso ham and spices in with them and I'm right there!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
i'm not a huge fan of plain grits, but throw some cheese, shrimp, tasso ham and spices in with them and i'm right there!
amen!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:15 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,829,098 times
Quote:
I am a Realtor in the Charleston, SC market. I grew up in Charleston and have lived here for most of my life. I have seen an influx over the past 10 years of New Yorker's relocating to my area. So, I have a question.

Besides the weather. What is the major draw that brings you to our city? I understand weather up there is terrible in the winters, but besides that, what do you truly see us as?

My brother, who lives in Jersey made this argument, he said that taxation and the costs of housing make Charleston a bargain compared to what you're spending power brings you in NY. Is this an fair comparison?

Tell me what you think. I'd love to hear it "from the horses mouth" so to speak.

I found this article in your NY Post:
The 20 hottest real estate spots in the world | New York Post

Which lists, Charleston as one of the hottest places in the world to buy real estate (which believe me, it is!), but is that why you want to move down here? Because of the investment potential or the lifestyle?

Thanks ya'll in advance! I hope to get some honest opinions about us country folks.
Its a variety of factors why people from NYS and NJ move to your area. I'll sum up why I've looked in the South.

The biggest factor for me is the overall hassle of life in the NYC area. This includes the NYC metro, because most of people Upstate beyond I-84 will have different reasons for moving. People from other parts of the country don't realize how difficult every single aspect of general living here is. From $12 tolls just to get to work, to gridlock traffic, to literally being an hour late for work if one truck has an accident on a bridge.

Now take that scenario and heighten it, because everyone around you is frazzled and on edge, cause they're also late for work. Then, factor in that you are driving on roads from the 1920's, riddled with potholes, truck ruts, and rusted out bridges. They just discovered the steel on the Pulaski Skyway is as thin as paper. Buses exhaust is blowing into your car. Some douche in the car next to you is blasting hip-hop at 7:00 am, rattling your windows. Smokestacks, abandoned buildings, and rusty tank farms are your typical landscape, but don't worry, the weed-infested Passaic River where millions of tons of Agent Orange was dumped after Vietnam is your waterview. Its, of course, nicer further out, but be prepared for 1.5 hour or longer commutes from these areas. 2+ if it snows.

And all these lovely roads all converge into 3 crossings: the Holland, the Lincoln, and the GWB. Philadelphia, a city 1/8th the size of NY, has 6 crossing from NJ into it. Just to give you an idea. On top of that, the general demeanor of people in NYC is faster, more aggressive, meaner. Its the epitome of the rat race in the US. Its snowing? Too bad, you have TPS reports to complete, or we'll replace you.

But lets assume your day goes well, and you get home on a Friday night at 6:00 pm. There's a 2/3 chance its going to rain at least one whole day on your weekend. You go out to a restaurant and there's a 60 minute wait. No one around you is speaking English. If I pick out 15 people in a crowd, they'll be 10 different languages. Sure, its nice to be around diversity, but it creates a complete lack of community. I don't care what my neighbors look like, but if I have absolutely no connection with them, it further isolates people. Try to discuss last nights baseball game with the average person around you, and you might as well be talking to a Martian.

Then, pastimes on your weekend? The local fishing hole is either crowded and overfished or has a chain link fence around it because someone could fall in. Parks close when they fill, and then its no alcohol, no swimming, no running, no ball throwing, no smiling. Beaches cost $10 just to go on them. Parking costs $20. Cops walk on the beaches and inspect your cooler for alcohol. If you refuse, you are arrested. Can only swim in the ocean when lifeguards are present. Disobey and get arrested. Just going for a dip in a lake (legally) is a very difficult thing to do in NJ.

No drive-ins, no bonfires, no blankets to be laid out to look at the stars. Only socially acceptable forms of entertainment are allowed. That usually involves drunken idiots from NYC or Long Island or shuffling into some other entertainment venue where you are basically strip searched before entering.

Our cities in NJ are all dangerous, disgusting cesspools. None offer any sort of nightlife unless you like to be involved in your own personal game of Grand Theft Auto. The typical suburban house costs $300k and $10k a year in taxes, so you work just for a roof over your head. That affords you the privilege to shop at the nearby Shop Rite in relative safety, and to live in a state where every aspect of your life is government-controlled in some manner.

This isn't negativity, but just the reality of living in most of NJ. Yes, there are nice enclaves but these are shrinking and disappearing. As soon as a nice place is discovered, its usually overrun in a few years. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited by VintageSunlight; 04-21-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 12:50 PM

93,594 posts, read 124,322,716 times
OP, I was curious, but do you notice a pattern of transplants moving into the same types of neighborhoods or does it vary?

Also, if you are privy to such information, do people essentially move to area versions of where they came from or do they move to a neighborhood that is different than where lived previously, given the demographics and dynamic differences of the Charleston area?

Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 PM

368 posts, read 831,782 times
Excellent question ckhthankgod and Vintage- your post is spot on and why I adore NNY.
OP-the NNYrs I know who have moved south claim weather as the top reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York