Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:17 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

I just wish that there was a serious Upstate candidate with crossover appeal in terms of Upstate and Downstate. To be honest, with NY State, I think that is more of an issue than the political party aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 AM

247 posts, read 525,885 times
Cuomo is going to pull out all the stops to try and win as many Upstate counties as he can, as the more he wins the more political juice he has and the better his presidential hopes look. He will use outright legal bribery to win, if he has to. It doesn't mean he actually cares about Upstate (he mainly cares about his Wall Street and Manhattan lawyer donors), he just doesn't want to lose many counties, it will make him look weak. But because of the SAFE Act mainly, it's going to be tough. He ticked off conservatives with that (plus gay marriage, which cost a few Republican senators their jobs, and his "extreme" comment), and liberals with his thuggish anti-union tactics, tacit approval of district gerrymandering, and waffling on a fracking ban.

Make no mistake, NYC has the population, they love him, so he will win. It's just a matter of how much. I'm moving to California before the next election, but I will miss being able to vote against him.

I always say he has no hope of becoming president, for these reasons:

• Bubba in Forkdick, Missouri is not voting for an aggressive Italian with a Queens accent
• Mary Homemaker is not voting for the guy who threw a Kennedy out of bed
• his looks; even when he smiles, his Manson lamps glare out at you like an evil wizard (many here in the capitol call him "Skeletor" or "The Dark Prince")
• his paranoid, Nixonian management style will hit a bumpy ceiling in Washington; too many powerful players for his state-level chess mind (already Chuck Schumer has sicced a federal prosecutor on him)

Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
I give Astorino a better chance up here than Cuomo.

Now that Kathy Hochul has signed on, Cuomo is sure he will take WNY. She sold her soul to the devil and has flipped previous positions on issues in only 2 days . I think she will damage more than help Cuomo -- because in WNY? We knew how good she was as our County Clerk, but remember she did not even live in the Congressioanl district she was pushed into with union money... sold her soul for that, too ( my district)

I also bet Cuomo was not driven by the Union picketers across from the airport on the way to his Union Hall speech here today... Go, support for Unions, Cuomo. Bosh!

SCOPE picketed at the Union Hall they went to.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:34 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
Bottom line, Cuomo lost western NY in the last election so he's looking to buy it back.
And by opposing the Buffalo Billion, Astorino apparently thinks Buffalo doesn't matter. A Republican raising the Upstate vs Downstate banner and then aligning himself with Downstate over pork barrel spending shows just how clueless Astorino is about state politics. He'll get hammered by Cuomo.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:45 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
This election won't even be close.

For what it's worth... the WNY area is not red, so I don't know where people get that idea. Erie county is solidly blue.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 AM

And yet Cuomo will still lose many Upstate counties. I have friends who aren't normally political, but are super-charged up over the SAFE Act, and are looking to vote for anyone besides Cuomo.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
GOP's Astorino: Keep third-party candidates out of New York state gubernatorial debates | syracuse.com

Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
And yet Cuomo will still lose many Upstate counties. I have friends who aren't normally political, but are super-charged up over the SAFE Act, and are looking to vote for anyone besides Cuomo.
Upstate districts of Buffalo and Rochester are consistently blue. Cuomo will not lose them.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:55 PM

Um, did you see the last election results by county? His approval rating is down from 2010.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Um, did you see the last election results by county? His approval rating is down from 2010.
Ummm, Carl Paladino is from Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York