Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to be excited about how high the bidding can go for the Bills. Personally, for the long term, I believe that the lowest price would be best. The higher the price, the more likely they will still leave in 7 years. There's only a handful of people that know the true worth anyway- those with the spread sheets. I surely don't know and neither does Forbes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 08:47 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
As long as the team stays in Buffalo, I don't care. I just think it is a sham that Bon Jovi , who is affiliated with the Canadian group , put out a letter stating that they are 100% in favor of keeping the team in Buffalo. there is no way I believe that....

Old 08-09-2014, 01:52 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Keeping them in Buffalo would be a terrible business decision, especially after a purchase in the area of $2 billion.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:12 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Keeping them in Buffalo would be a terrible business decision, especially after a purchase in the area of $2 billion.
Not necessarily, as a pro football can be a regional team. Many of the people that attend Bills games come from nearby areas not only Upstate NY, but NW Pennsylvania and Southern Ontario. So, they can get the support and if Green Bay can make it work, I think it could work in Buffalo.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily, as a pro football can be a regional team. Many of the people that attend Bills games come from nearby areas not only Upstate NY, but NW Pennsylvania and Southern Ontario. So, they can get the support and if Green Bay can make it work, I think it could work in Buffalo.
Yes, but you're not going to make a ton of money. It will be quite a while to make up that $2 billion, in addition to the money that needs to go into a new stadium. Plus, Green Bay is public. They really should consider taking the team public if they want to actually pull out a profit sometime soon.

Trump sounds genuine in keeping the team in the area, but the Sabres owner sounds like your friend asking for money to start up a McDonald's franchise; he sounds like he wants to be Buffalo's buddy and make a terrible decision to keep the team there just for a sense of community. I'd love for the team to either go tto Trump or the Bon Jovi/Rodgers outfit, just because I trust those owners for good business sense.

Honestly, Bills fans should want Trump to take the team. He's probably the best businessman of them all and genuinely wants to keep the team there. The Sabres owner sounds like the team would fold in his ownership and that means definite move. And the Bon Jovi/Rodgers team is going to move the team, no question. They look up to Jerry Jones and I can't blame them.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 08-09-2014 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Yes, but you're not going to make a ton of money. It will be quite a while to make up that $2 billion, in addition to the money that needs to go into a new stadium. Plus, Green Bay is public. They really should consider taking the team public if they want to actually pull out a profit sometime soon.

Trump sounds genuine in keeping the team in the area, but the Sabres owner sounds like your friend asking for money to start up a McDonald's franchise; he sounds like he wants to be Buffalo's buddy and make a terrible decision to keep the team there just for a sense of community. I'd love for the team to either go tto Trump or the Bon Jovi/Rodgers outfit, just because I trust those owners for good business sense.

Honestly, Bills fans should want Trump to take the team. He's probably the best businessman of them all and genuinely wants to keep the team there. The Sabres owner sounds like the team would fold in his ownership and that means definite move. And the Bon Jovi/Rodgers team is going to move the team, no question. They look up to Jerry Jones and I can't blame them.
I agree that going public should have been an option.

Yes, Trump would be a better choice than Bon Jovi/Rogers in terms of business sense and keeping the team in the area.

Golisano has also been mentioned, but I wonder what his limit is or if he is willing to really compete for ownership.

There has also been a mention of a team including Jim Kelly, but I'm not sure as to how legitimate that is.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that GB is actually nearby Milwaukee's home team and Milwaukee is much larger than Buffalo.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Yes, Trump would be a better choice than Bon Jovi/Rogers in terms of business sense and keeping the team in the area.

Golisano has also been mentioned, but I wonder what his limit is or if he is willing to really compete for ownership.
Trump's whole style is to create winners, He would really class the place up.

I believe Golisano has always said he'd step in if they were in danger of leaving. So far I don't see that as an issue.

I think the true financial limit has been exceeded already. Now it's all about ego's and emotions.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Keep in mind that GB is actually nearby Milwaukee's home team and Milwaukee is much larger than Buffalo.
Not really. Is about 2 hours from Milwaukee to Green Bay, which is about the same distance as Syracuse to Buffalo, give or take. Also, the Milwaukee metro area has 2 million people, while Buffalo and Rochester have a little over 2 million when combining those metros. Syracuse has more people in its metro than Green Bay and this doesn't include Southern Ontario or NW PA. So, if Green Bay can get the support it gets, so can the Bills.

Keep in mind that it is a one day a week sport. So, that allows people within a certain distance to attend games.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
- Green Bay used to play 2 games a year in Milwaukee and season ticket holders retained the rights to those games when they moved them to Green Bay. The 2nd and 5th home games each year are the "Milwaukee games."

- The NFL will not allow any further public ownership groups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York