Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move Out of New York If You Could?
Yes 29 74.36%
No 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:12 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,322,815 times

Advertisements

Yes or No?
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 04:24 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,825,069 times
If money and jobs and everything else weren't an issue they sure I suppose. Not sure where I'd go though. Maybe somewhere between my wife's family in NY and my family in GA.
But realisticly I'd have to say no. Sure NY has its problems like everywhere else but I feel the pros outweigh the cons. I like the four seasons, the landscapes, the cities, the people, and many other things.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:09 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,217,124 times
As gt87 said, everywhere has problems, some more than others.

I live in the SW corner of Upstate NY, about 10 miles from PA, but you couldn't pay me to live in PA. Driving through the PA coal country is like driving through rural West Virginia or eastern Kentucky: grim, poor country that makes New York's Southern Tier or Adirondaks, two of the poorest parts of NYS, look prosperous. Erie, Pittsburgh, and Philly are decent, but you get away from the bigger cities, and the rural areas of the state, especially the northern and western parts, are generally poor and socially backwards.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:49 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,044,130 times
Definitely won't be living here full time in the future.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,010,921 times
Absolutely I will, first chance I get. I'm tired of the weather, these crooked politicians crying poverty all the time meanwhile they collect more revenue then any other city or state. Case in point, highest tolls, highest parking fines ( in NYC), highest cigarette taxes, a Lottery, a city income tax ( in NYC), ...all this money coming in and they still have no money....

Tired of being put on the back burner for the Great Unwashed, the illegals, the mopes and dredges of our society

Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 AM

149 posts, read 303,863 times
Maybe?

We're in this position right now, as my spouse was laid off before Christmas and my job, while I love it, isn't quite enough to support the family. He has a specialized degree and additional certifications that make him a great candidate for a certain kind of job, but over-qualified for the minimum-wage retail and service industry stuff that is available. However, positions in his field wouldn't pay enough to support us all, either - so no matter where we go, we BOTH need to find jobs. And rural upstate NY/the Twin Tiers isn't the best place for that, evidently.

Prior to moving here we lived in PA (Erie, to be exact) and still sometimes talk about the things we miss there. Not sure if going back there is an option at this point...although again, anywhere where we can both find jobs would be better than here. Gasoline costing less than $2.50/gallon and lower property taxes would be an added bonus.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 AM

22 posts, read 23,724 times
Default From the Hudson Valley

I live in the Hudson Valley and, while I find it very beautiful, I think that the cost of living here is just far too high compared to the available jobs and pay rates in the area. It feels draining to me, and it feels like a lot of towns in the area are stagnant. Does anyone else feel this way too?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringoptions View Post
Maybe?

We're in this position right now, as my spouse was laid off before Christmas and my job, while I love it, isn't quite enough to support the family. He has a specialized degree and additional certifications that make him a great candidate for a certain kind of job, but over-qualified for the minimum-wage retail and service industry stuff that is available. However, positions in his field wouldn't pay enough to support us all, either - so no matter where we go, we BOTH need to find jobs. And rural upstate NY/the Twin Tiers isn't the best place for that, evidently.

Prior to moving here we lived in PA (Erie, to be exact) and still sometimes talk about the things we miss there. Not sure if going back there is an option at this point...although again, anywhere where we can both find jobs would be better than here. Gasoline costing less than $2.50/gallon and lower property taxes would be an added bonus.
You might want to look at Buffalo. There's been an upswing in high tech, banking/finance, and health care there recently.

Erie is a nice metro, and you're close enough to Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland to have all the "big city" you want.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Absolutely I will, first chance I get. I'm tired of the weather, these crooked politicians crying poverty all the time meanwhile they collect more revenue then any other city or state. Case in point, highest tolls, highest parking fines ( in NYC), highest cigarette taxes, a Lottery, a city income tax ( in NYC), ...all this money coming in and they still have no money....

Tired of being put on the back burner for the Great Unwashed, the illegals, the mopes and dredges of our society
Where do you expect all of this, except maybe weather, to be all that different? Read some of the other state forums. A lot of people complain about the same stuff on numerous ones. On others, they complain about other stuff, like no jobs or jobs that barely pay a living wage.

As I said, everything's a trade off. Generally, places that are popular are expensive and crowded but have lots of opportunities. Places that are cheap and uncrowded tend to be that way for a reason: not a lot of opportunities.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 AM

137 posts, read 218,811 times
120 days.

Virginia bound, near Smith Moutnain Lake. Goodbye NY... wont miss it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York