Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:24 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,847 times

Advertisements

If I buy a piece of land in Ulster county that is zoned for residential use and shielded from the road by trees, could I camp on it without getting in trouble or am I taking a big risk?

I don't anticipate having enough money to put a proper house on it right away?

I really like those piece of land but money constraints will make it difficult to put up a proper house with all the necessary utilities.

Would I still be able to camp on it for a few months, leave for a day or two and then come back for another few months?

That would be acceptable to me but I obviously don't want to plunk down money on land I won't even be able to do that on.

If you need more info like the town, I'll PM you it. Thank you.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 06-17-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:43 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,305 times
Buying vacant land is very different than buying a house (developed land), especially if the land is in a rural area. You should probably contact a lawyer if you are serious about buying such land. If plan on building on the land at some point (or selling to someone who does) there are factors to consider - zoning (what are the restrictions on what you can build), septic, utilities availability, water well. Is the land in the Catskill watershed? - If so, NYC DEP regulations are in effect which could effect build ability on the parcel (and/or costs involved).

Not trying to scare you off. Just realize that there are some things you need to look into before buying land and assuming your eventual intended purpose is as simple as you think.

There are various factors which will determine the answer to your actual question.

Some land parcels have deed restrictions or covenants. I know of an area where the deed restrictions prohibit camping more than 60 days/year. They also prohibit use of a single-wide trailer on the property (the purpose being to have people build a "proper" house).

Beyond deed restrictions, there are also local zoning rules. Check the city, township and county to see what restrictions may apply to the parcel in question. Another area where a local real estate lawyer could also help you.

If the land is in a rural area, you are _probably_ fine with camping. If it is in "town" there is a higher chance of having a problem, as more populated areas tend to have more rules.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Buying vacant land is very different than buying a house (developed land), especially if the land is in a rural area. You should probably contact a lawyer if you are serious about buying such land. If plan on building on the land at some point (or selling to someone who does) there are factors to consider - zoning (what are the restrictions on what you can build), septic, utilities availability, water well. Is the land in the Catskill watershed? - If so, NYC DEP regulations are in effect which could effect build ability on the parcel (and/or costs involved).

Not trying to scare you off. Just realize that there are some things you need to look into before buying land and assuming your eventual intended purpose is as simple as you think.

There are various factors which will determine the answer to your actual question.

Some land parcels have deed restrictions or covenants. I know of an area where the deed restrictions prohibit camping more than 60 days/year. They also prohibit use of a single-wide trailer on the property (the purpose being to have people build a "proper" house).

Beyond deed restrictions, there are also local zoning rules. Check the city, township and county to see what restrictions may apply to the parcel in question. Another area where a local real estate lawyer could also help you.

If the land is in a rural area, you are _probably_ fine with camping. If it is in "town" there is a higher chance of having a problem, as more populated areas tend to have more rules.
It's a rural area.

So deed restrictions and zoning. Got it.

There is a natural spring on the property, if that introduces DEP restrictions.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:10 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
If you are going to be camping on your land for an extended period, you are going to have to make provisions for water and septic. Depending upon the town, you may not be able to just get by with an outhouse.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
If you are going to be camping on your land for an extended period, you are going to have to make provisions for water and septic. Depending upon the town, you may not be able to just get by with an outhouse.
Composting toilet might be a better option.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
It's a rural area.

So deed restrictions and zoning. Got it.

There is a natural spring on the property, if that introduces DEP restrictions.
Natural spring doesn't connect to DEP.

Simple explanation: DEP is an agency of NYC. NYC drinking water comes from areas north of the city. These area are termed the "Catskill Watershed." Property in the "watershed" are subject to many restrictions imposed by NYC and enforced by the DEP.

For example, any septic system built in the watershed is subject to pre-approval by the DEP. This process can affect cost, location and scope of any building project. It is theoretically possible that the DEP can effectively stop you from building a home on your own property. Even when they can't stop you, they do everything in their power to dissuade you and make it difficult.

On the plus side, anything the DEP requires that is "over and above" the cost of doing the same outside the watershed area is reimbursable. It's complicated... you definitely want a lawyer to explain the ins and outs of it all.

If you are NOT in the Catskill Watershed, that is one less level of rules and restrictions to worry about.

Linda_d has a point about waste and water. If you plan to camp there, you need to make provisions. Check to see what local rules may affect you. For water, the spring may or may not be appropriate - you should consider a well.

I will again stress the importance of long range planning. You aren't going to build a house now, but what about the future? Will any deed restrictions, local rules or features of the property prevent that plan or make it too costly? Do you know it is generally more difficult to get a mortgage for vacant land or a building loan than it is for something already built. What about services? Is electric readily available? - if not, what is the cost to run the lines? Rural area... will you need internet? Do you have a current survey of the property? If you are not financing the property, you will need to do a title search and other checks that a loan company would do. Are you getting timber and mineral rights with the land (if applicable)? Are there any easements on the property? Who owns the land surrounding this parcel, how is it zoned and what is the current use?

I bought acreage a few years back and built on it. There was a learning curve. It was also a fun and rewarding process. It all worked out for me, but I did my homework in advance. The only hiccup was the DEP (I'm in the watershed) - in the end it all worked out and they even paid my (substantial) legal bills.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:51 PM

Well, I found out the land I was interested in is under contract so I guess that's that.

But invaluable info nonetheless. I'll definately add all this to my box of questions for the appropriate channels. Thanks, everyone.

It's probably best I didn't get it as it was zoned for residential.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
It's probably best I didn't get it as it was zoned for residential.
What type of zoning are you looking for? Are you looking for commercial or industrial? If you planned on camping there and eventually building a home, residential is what you would want.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
What type of zoning are you looking for? Are you looking for commercial or industrial? If you planned on camping there and eventually building a home, residential is what you would want.
All I really need is land I can put a tiny house with wheels on, preferably with some kind of ready source of water.

As I want to live mostly off-grid, with solar, composting toilet, etc, I would like to avoid installing most of the usually required utilities.

I don't want to look way upstate like the Adirondocks because that's too far. Catskills area is not too far from family for me.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
"A tiny house on wheels" is nothing more than a very expensive mobile home. My guess is that most towns in Ulster County don't allow them or seriously restrict them. For camping, a better choice is an actual camping trailer, or if you want to get fancy, a "park model" camper. Many towns allow those for seasonal use (60 days or less) even in residentially zoned rural areas as long as you deal with the waste issue.

While you would likely have better luck having your "tiny house on wheels" permitted in the Adirondaks, the minimum lot size outside of the town areas is 40 acres IIRC, and most of the buildable lots in the towns are already developed ... and/or really expensive.

My suggestion is to just build a cabin or buy a camper or even a used single-wide mobile home. An even better alternative is to find an existing cabin or an old farmhouse and fix it the way you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: