Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 AM

50 posts, read 47,927 times

Advertisements

I've been considering a small, second summer home in one of the small towns in CNY.

I frequently scan realtor sites and notice many lovely older homes, but the majority of them are in need of updates - I see peeling paint, outdated kitchens and bathrooms and just lots of need for general repair and upgrades. Very few homes sold in CNY appear to have been maintained well and updated.

Prices of some of these homes can be reasonable, but I remain concerned about utility and property tax costs.

At some point, it dawned on me that it might be a better idea to purchase a manufactured home (people usually think of modular homes) but I have seen several websites with homes that look well built and attractive and presumably - with lower energy costs.

Even more attractive were designs featuring a cabin or camp style - where the home is basically one great room with smaller rooms for privacy (bathroom, bedroom) and wrap around decks.

These might be better suited for locating outside of a town - so then I'd have to be concerned about establishing utility hook ups.

Seems like there are lots of people who retire from major US cities to these upstate NY locations.

I sure would appreciate any advice from those who've been down this road.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM

93,884 posts, read 124,609,502 times
A lot of this may depend on budget and location(town/village/city). I know you have been on here in the past, but have you decided on an area to look into within the region?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:00 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,547,760 times
Building a home can be fun and rewarding. You get exactly what you want. However, building new is generally more expensive than buying "used."

Lot's of things to consider when building new. Utilities, septic, water well are just the beginning. Electrical plans, fixtures, bathrooms, kitchen, appliances... the list goes on. Very important to research the topic and work with a reputable builder. If you are wiling and able to act as the "general contractor" you can save a lot of money. (Not actually building - just managing all the sub-contractors).

Modular can be pretty easy and cost effective... if you like that "style." Cabins are going to be a more costly and more involved process. I have owned a "fixer-upper," have had a "stick" home built and had a log home built. Each has had its plusses and minuses.

A newer home will likely save on energy costs. Log homes, for example, can be very energy efficient.

There are also pitfalls when buying vacant land. It is different than buying a house. You need to work with a good lawyer who can help you through the process and make sure the land you buy is suitable for the purpose you intend.

Utility hookups aren't that big a deal. They can bring electric anywhere. It depends how far from service your building site is. The electric company gives you so many feet and after that you pay by the foot. If another neighbor gets service in between you and the connection, you get "credit" for their distance to the pole (in other words, you can get a refund on the install cost if others build).

If you are in a more rural area, you will likely use propane as a fuel and can supplement (or even replace it) with a wood burning unit. Propane is easy - just call the company and they bring a tank.

Looking at resales, you might also consider a vacation home that is on the market. These is likely newer construction than some of the older "farmhouses" you have seen.

Property tax upstate is reasonable (compared to LI, at least).

Utility cost is also reasonable on a vacation home. When not there, you can turn everything off during the summer. Leave the heat at 45 or so in the winter. With a wood stove, you should barely need to use the heat in the winter.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:59 PM

50 posts, read 47,927 times
Thank you so much!

I've been leaning toward Oneonta ~ Cooperstown area - Oneonta is less expensive and I've even considered the possibility of a grad student or visiting lecturer roommate/tenant. I'd be there only during the summer and possibly fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: