Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:23 AM

93,679 posts, read 124,403,512 times

Advertisements

This time it is even further south: Wegmans expanding to North Carolina, where will it go next? | syracuse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:55 AM

5,749 posts, read 4,124,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn't Cary the county with the most ex-upstaters?

I like the way Wegmans does business. Slow and steady growth without acquiring large amounts of debt

Old 01-20-2016, 09:23 AM

19,277 posts, read 17,147,017 times
Actually Cary is the town that is located in Wake and Chatham counties in NC. I think as they build distribution centers that allows them to expand their reach in areas. Were finally getting one in Richmond, although I knew of them I have never seen one.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:28 AM

969 posts, read 2,076,511 times
Cary I remember stands for Central Area for Relocated Yankees. Very nice area down there.

True, Wegman's seems to do everything very well. They are a great model for a biz to follow. I wish they had a small store model for smaller cities or villages, but it probably does not work for their biz.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:36 PM

135 posts, read 149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Cary I remember stands for Central Area for Relocated Yankees. Very nice area down there.

True, Wegman's seems to do everything very well. They are a great model for a biz to follow. I wish they had a small store model for smaller cities or villages, but it probably does not work for their biz.
Hahah, that's funny! It's actually "consolidated" though: Urban Dictionary: Cary

Old 01-20-2016, 01:40 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,932 times
Love Wegman's, but I have noticed lately that they don't seem to know how to stock their stores. At least here in NJ. Also, their dairy products go bad fast- not sure why but the expiration dates are like only 1 week long. Small issues though, Wegmans is still the best grocery store in NJ.

I'm very surprised Wegmans is not in CT or on Long Island. Seems like a prime market- wealthy people who are health conscious.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:13 PM

93,679 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Love Wegman's, but I have noticed lately that they don't seem to know how to stock their stores. At least here in NJ. Also, their dairy products go bad fast- not sure why but the expiration dates are like only 1 week long. Small issues though, Wegmans is still the best grocery store in NJ.

I'm very surprised Wegmans is not in CT or on Long Island. Seems like a prime market- wealthy people who are health conscious.
I wonder if logistics play a part in this, as I wonder if the products are distributed from Rochester or if there is a center closer to the NJ stores.

I also agree that you would think with the way the company is moving in terms of more affluent locations, that they would look into Long Island and Connecticut. I wonder if Burlington VT would be a good location as well.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:30 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,932 times
Quote:
I wonder if logistics play a part in this, as I wonder if the products are distributed from Rochester or if there is a center closer to the NJ stores.

I also agree that you would think with the way the company is moving in terms of more affluent locations, that they would look into Long Island and Connecticut. I wonder if Burlington VT would be a good location as well.
Burlington, Providence, and Hartford metros all seem like prime markets. Long Island too- I'd put one somewhere near Huntington Sta where there is a little more available space and is pretty central on the island.

Pittsburgh seems like a no brainer as well. The supermarkets there weren't all that great. Giant Eagle was ok. Seems like a major metro like that, even with all the beer and bratwurst eaters there, could sustain at least 3 stores.

For the person who was saying what CARY stands for, I always heard "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees."

Old 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM

969 posts, read 2,076,511 times
I'm sure the native southerners down there have a bunch of different C words for CARY.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM

5,307 posts, read 6,202,540 times
Quote:
...distributed from Rochester or if there is a center closer to the NJ stores.
Wegmans has a big distribution center in Pottsville, Pa.

Personally, I think that Wegmans is overrated. Non store branded grocery products are few and the variety that you find say in a Giant Market (akin to Stop-n-Shop) far surpasses Wegmans offerings. Also, I've noticed that Wegmans has been consistently jacking up their prices. I shop a lot at Aldi where the prices are low and the quality high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York