Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 11:55 AM

620 posts, read 1,746,146 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a family vacation to Lake Champlain. What is it like in the summer? Is it a complete madhouse or zoo? Is the water warm enough to swim. Is it worth a one way 17 hour car trip? Any insight would be helpful. I have reviewed a lot of websites, but I would like some personel opinions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
My family and I are considering a family vacation to Lake Champlain. What is it like in the summer? Is it a complete madhouse or zoo? Is the water warm enough to swim. Is it worth a one way 17 hour car trip? Any insight would be helpful. I have reviewed a lot of websites, but I would like some personel opinions. Thanks in advance.
Last time I was there I was 5-6. We stayed on a house boat. I CAN remember the lake was very deep and I had an awsome time!!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:34 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
check out the North Hero/South Hero islands in Lake Champlain, which can be reached by bridge just north of Burlington, VT. Very quiet and peaceful.
The city of Burlington has much to offer - . Good restaurants. Museums, shops, even a waterfront aquarium. Not a large city, but lots to see there.
The scenery on the lake is beautiful - Green Mountains to the east, Adirondack mountains to the west. Great sunsets.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:14 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Default Water temps.....

Since Lake Champlain is such a deep lake (carved out by glaciers....), it is still pretty chilly in the summer..........Having said that, if you are getting here in late July or August, that is when the lake is the warmest.......However people will swim at our beach anytime during the summer.........Where the Montrealers come to for swimming (very shallow and warmer water) is called Plattsburgh Bay where some revolutionary war battles were fought.......Just another thing to consider if your family is the least little bit interested in history also......It is absolutely gorgeous up here in the summer............Have to at least try it one summer...........Rentals and rates are probably cheaper on this side of the lake but you are just a quick ferry ride........3 crossings.......away from Burlington and a larger city.......The Grande Isle area is another nice area......some places rent boats and campgrounds are nice and also state parks..........Just a grand area to come to for a summer vacation...........lovely.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:14 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
My family and I are considering a family vacation to Lake Champlain. What is it like in the summer?
It's very nice. We are always on the VT side of Lake Champlain. We love Burlington, especially in the summer as all the college kids have gone home. The area is not a zoo, but the lake is cold.

I agree with Lifetime, it's a small city but there is a lot to see. North Hero and South Hero are a nifty spot for a vacation and you can rent a cabin for the week, but if you want a rental do it right away. Canada is close by, Ben and Jerry's in Waterbury, and Mt Mansfield in Stowe has a gondola ride. Mt Mansfield also has an access road you can drive all the way to the top for a small fee. The unbelievable views make up for the fact you'll ruin your brakes on the way down. And those sunsets...

But a 17 hour car trip? Jet Blue flies into Burlington, you can't beat the price.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,132 times
Default travelling lake champlain

You can start at Burlington, Vt and head south on Lake Champlain. Burlington has great restaurant, a nice waterfront, and other attractions. The trip down the lake is a nice ride, about 3 or 4 hours. At the southern end is a great place called the finch & chubb restaurant. They have a marina and hotel there also, great food in a nice location. The town of whitehall is pretty small but fun to explore.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Seems to be a hidden gem of an area and could be. marketed more

Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
The area is great and well worth the drive. I do it twice a year from Richmond Va and it takes @12 hours with stops. Burlington is like Charlottsville on the lake. Plenty to do and see; if you want you can stop at Lake George on the way up and take the kids (if applicable) to Great adventure. Not sure about swimming . Just look on line you'll find plenty of activities in the region...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York