Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:30 AM

176 posts, read 234,880 times

Advertisements

We live in L.A., planning a family(wife, kids: 13 and 16 y.o.) spring-break trip to the east coast, maybe 7 to 8 days. First time to the east coast.

Need to make a quick family visit in Boston, stay for one night, then off to New York, would like spend one or two days in D.C. as well if doable. Things I think I'd like to do are:

NY:
1. statue of liberty (can be just a cruise or is going atop highly recommended?), what's pedestal access? is it going up to the crown?
2. MoMa or American Museum of Natural History or the Met?
3. time square
4. catch a show
suggestions are welcomed.

DC:
maybe take one of these guided tours, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...partner=Viator

spend one/two nights in D.C then fly back to L.A.

some additional questions:
1. what is the best way to go from Boston to N.Y.? If flying, is it easier to fly to LaGuardia than JFK? less crowded?
2. how about from N.Y. to D.C.? train or fly? which airports?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 10:52 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Its probably better to fly into JFK these days, as LaGuardia is having a major , multi-billion dollar renovation project. As for NYC to Washington, DC, the drive is doable, about 4 hours, but be mindful of tolls, and traffic.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:29 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
First for more replies the OP should have posted this on the NYC forum rather than the NY State forum.

I too think flying into JFK is better than LGA. But from Boston one can also take Amtrak which get the OP and family to Penn Station right in the middle Manhattan. I believe that Amtrak train ride will be similarly priced to the airfare between Boston and N NYC but one doesn't have to arrive 2-3 hours prior to one's train departure so timewise it won't be much longer than flying (as from JFK one also needs an hour to get into Manhattan). Probably the same could be said about taking the Amtrak train between NYC and D.C. although D.C. does have one airport right in the city which I believe has Metro trains connections.

As for the Statue of Liberty, I would skip that for such a short trip and instead take the free Staten Island ferry which has great views of the statue for pictures taking.

I think the American Museum of Natural History is the best one for children and teenagers. This museum as well as the Metropolitan Museum of Art have a suggested contribution (being pay as much as you can afford) rather than a fixed admission price. (The MOMA has this only on Fridays after 4 PM.)

Old 03-13-2017, 07:49 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
We live in L.A., planning a family(wife, kids: 13 and 16 y.o.) spring-break trip to the east coast, maybe 7 to 8 days. First time to the east coast.

Need to make a quick family visit in Boston, stay for one night, then off to New York, would like spend one or two days in D.C. as well if doable. Things I think I'd like to do are:

NY:
1. statue of liberty (can be just a cruise or is going atop highly recommended?), what's pedestal access? is it going up to the crown?
Pedestal access and crown access are two different things. My understanding is that crown access sells out very quickly. IMO, crown access is worth it if you can get it.

Quote:
2. MoMa or American Museum of Natural History or the Met?
All personal preference. I would highly recommend Museum of Natural History and the adjacent Hayden Planetarium. While there, you can walk across the street to Strawberry Fields and see Central Park.

MoMa is great... if you are _really_ into modern art.

Quote:
3. time square
4. catch a show
Times Square is definitely something to see... you just walk around and see the sights. All the shops and restaurants are overpriced tourist traps. Just plan to see it and not buy anything.

The one thing that is worth it is the ticket sales booth (big red TKTS sign). There, you can get discounted tickets to same day shows. This might limit your choices on shows, but will save you some money. It's been a while and I forget the process (best time to get on line, etc.) Check out https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths for info... this is a legit "officlal" way to purchase tickets. Be wary of other methods which may not be legit and/or charge extra fees.

Quote:
suggestions are welcomed.

DC:
maybe take one of these guided tours, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...partner=Viator

I'm not a fan of guided tours... personal choice. For a short stay in DC, you could argue either way. Easy do it yourself. Start at the Capitol building and work your way to the Lincoln Memorial. Plenty to see and do in the Mall area. I'm not sure which attractions are currently open, but you can easily find out online. Those that are open generally offer some sort of guided tour.

Quote:
spend one/two nights in D.C then fly back to L.A.

some additional questions:
1. what is the best way to go from Boston to N.Y.? If flying, is it easier to fly to LaGuardia than JFK? less crowded?

2. how about from N.Y. to D.C.? train or fly? which airports?

thanks
I suggest you check out Amtrack from Boston to NY and NY to DC. Less expensive than flying. In NY, it leaves you right in the middle of town. Good location in DC as well. Depending on where you are staying, it is probably the most convenient way to travel. Make sure you book an "Acela" train, which is essential the "express" version. Roomy seats, power outlets for your phone/pad/laptop, wifi. By the time you include travel to/from the airport and security checkpoints, rail ends up being about the same travel time as plane... with more comfort and less hassle.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I second the Staten Island ferry vs. going out to the statue itself unless you have a guaranteed trip up to the crown which I imagine would be spectacular.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
I've lived in both Boston and DC and grew up near NY. If you are only going to be here for a week, and Boston is a must, spend a few days there and then pick either NYC or DC but not both. Unless you have a super compelling reason like crazy great seats for Hamilton or a concert at MSG or something, I would personally skip NYC, it is not as tourist friendly as the other two.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
I've lived in both Boston and DC and grew up near NY. If you are only going to be here for a week, and Boston is a must, spend a few days there and then pick either NYC or DC but not both. Unless you have a super compelling reason like crazy great seats for Hamilton or a concert at MSG or something, I would personally skip NYC, it is not as tourist friendly as the other two.
Actually NYC is very tourist friendly and personally I would skip Boston and just focus on NYC and DC.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 AM

176 posts, read 234,880 times
just learned about the blizzard that's going on right now in the NorthEast. Makes me wonder if Apr is a good time to visit, still lots of rain/wind? lingering snow? is it better, weather wise, to wait until Jun when school is out ?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
just learned about the blizzard that's going on right now in the NorthEast. Makes me wonder if Apr is a good time to visit, still lots of rain/wind? lingering snow? is it better, weather wise, to wait until Jun when school is out ?
It is unusual for there to be a major blizzard in April. But the weather will definitely be warmer in June although even then the Northeast can get major rainstorm events.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
April showers bring May flowers.

In a warm year, April is the best month. In a cold year, May is better. The trees are leafing out and there are flowers and blooms everywhere.

June can also be perfect, but there is a greater chance of high heat and humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York