Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times

Advertisements

After a few weeks of public sex scandals and political figures, the dust seems to have settled enough for us all to look back reflecting on the strange turn of events that have made a national mochery of New York State, and where do we go from here.

A little more than 2 months ago, Governor Spitzer gave his first (albeit his last) "State of Upstate NY" address where Upstate would not be forgotten statewide.

Here are a few snips from his speech, [As prepared for delivery] Rockwell Hall / Buffalo State College / Buffalo, NY / January 16, 2008

Quote:
Making the State of Upstate an annual event will force us each year to monitor our progress, take stock of what remains undone, engage in a public debate about how to move forward, and, if necessary, recalibrate our efforts in response to conditions on the ground. This will create the accountability that Upstate New Yorkers demand and deserve.
Quote:
But our Regional Blueprint Fund is just one piece of our proposed $1 billion Fund.
Our effort to attract businesses here will be complemented if we can restore greater vitality to our Upstate cities—which have such incredible potential, but which need help to free themselves from a cycle of decline.
After (re)reading all of that was said to come to Buffalo and other major cities in Upstate NY, I wonder if all of this is going to change under the control of a new governor. More than often, I have seen the impact left on a community when a politician leaves office (the promises & the money leaves right with them).

Read the entire State of Upstate NY address here and share your thoughts in comment.
Attached Thumbnails
The alt= Billion Upstate Fund --- now what?-cityhallbuffalo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 10:36 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Upstate is a horrible term... When I think of Upstate I think of the outskirts of NYC and Northward... I am a Western NYer and proud to be... However, our part of "Upstate" does seem to get the short end of the stick most of the time... Forgotten about, even though a large majority of our taxes go to NYC/ "Down"state

Old 03-22-2008, 04:20 PM

640 posts, read 2,013,022 times
Western New York gets the short end of the stick because...much like most rust belt cities, they are run by sewer rats that had no interest in diversifying and changing the manufacturing jobs. The global economy has been going on for a LONG time (see New England for the decline of manufacturing). Dont blame NYC and area....the problem is mostly a stubborn narrow minded local leadership. See Kodak....

Old 03-22-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Western New York gets the short end of the stick because...much like most rust belt cities, they are run by sewer rats that had no interest in diversifying and changing the manufacturing jobs. The global economy has been going on for a LONG time (see New England for the decline of manufacturing). Dont blame NYC and area....the problem is mostly a stubborn narrow minded local leadership. See Kodak....

That is pretty harsh, don't you think? Western NY is always fighting for funding from NYS. It is not too hard to blame NYC and area when most of the money flows downward and we are taxed so very high- $7000 a year on a home worth $174K- because we are attached to NYC. Also, Kodak isn't the only company in Western NY... Think Wegmans and Paychex... it is, unfortunately, the only one making the news.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Instead of begging Albany for money and more state work...Western NY should start purging its local city leaders
and start industries that keep young college students LOCALLY. Albany is not even NYC's friend...it is a self-serving city that drains the entire state for its own benefit.

Upstate NY needs to look to the PRIVATE sector and people like Golisano to stimulate the economy. Stop relying on the state government and blaming NYC and downstate. That's loser talk....
Most rust belt cities had manufacturing as the majority of its employment...why is Chicago thriving? Because it had DIVERSITY in its industries

And yes....much of upstate city leaders are pinhead parochial types. Your taxes are a function of misguided economic plans....locally. Not from NYC...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Instead of begging Albany for money and more state work...Western NY should start purging its local city leaders
and start industries that keep young college students LOCALLY. Albany is not even NYC's friend...it is a self-serving city that drains the entire state for its own benefit.

Upstate NY needs to look to the PRIVATE sector and people like Golisano to stimulate the economy. Stop relying on the state government and blaming NYC and downstate. That's loser talk....
Most rust belt cities had manufacturing as the majority of its employment...why is Chicago thriving? Because it had DIVERSITY in its industries

And yes....much of upstate city leaders are pinhead parochial types. Your taxes are a function of misguided economic plans....locally. Not from NYC...

You are going to compare CHICAGO, which is on a totally different scale size wise (pop 2,850,000+), with Rochester (pop 200,000)? What kind of argument is that? Also, as I have learned from other postings, your distaste for Western NY (Rochester primarily) runs so strong you will never change your mind... I don't understand these complaints... but, discussing this topic with YOU is a waste of time and energy.

Last edited by skbs; 03-24-2008 at 07:28 AM..

Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 PM

I'll give you a little econ 101...population and economic diversity are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. Guess why Detroit failed and Toronto survived? Why is the Buffalo area failing and the Hartford area doing well? Figure it out...I already told you.

And I actually like Buffalo as a city...very funky place despite it being an economic hellhole. Interesting people too. Innovative local cuisine. Rochester is just a slow declining blue-collar city (yes...rust belt blue-collar) in deep denial by the whitebreads that live in Pittsford, Penfield, and Fairport. Brain brain for a deeper reason....not just economics. Wonder why? Its not rocket science...see Toledo, Dayton and Cleveland for answers. Rochester is heading that way quickly. I find it a painfully parochial and thoroughly bland area...an excruciating column would be for a Boston Globe/Hartford Courant writer to think of 10 reasons to move to Rochester. Websters definition of writers block.

Last edited by JiminCT; 03-31-2008 at 10:06 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
More posts from jiminct bashing an area he knows absolutely nothing about. If you knew anything about the history of Rochester you would know it has been considered a white collar city compared to most other rust belt cities. You claim that Rochester is heading that way quickly despite some gains in employment. You claim we aren't diversifying despite places like Harris, U of R and some smaller tech companies adding white collar jobs. You say how this area is bland despite all of the unique things other posters have posted about the area that you chose to ignore.
If you argued with actual facts instead of sweeping generalizations and ignorance you might be taken seriously.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 AM

26 posts, read 95,376 times
The media paints Governor Paterson as a man with a high regard/concern for WNY. Lets hope he lives up to what he says and follow through with meaningful action.
As far as living in WNY. I think it is a great place to live and being in the mortgage industry I can say there are alot of great things happening here which don't show up in the news. There is a ton of out of area money investing in our backyard and WNY has a bright future ahead.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
Thank you for saying so Brokerguy. being a life-longer, I have always known WNY as playing second fiddle to downstate NY, and the promises Spitzer made back in January, I'd like to reassured it will all be followed through under the current Paterson Adminstration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York