Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,999 times

Advertisements

Hi!

So, totally new here, and if there is somewhere that is more appropriate for me to ask this, please feel free to let me know.

I currently work in midtown in the theatre district, and my husband is looking at a job that would be in Stony Point.

if he were to get this position, what would be a good, halfway-ish town to look at apartments? Im currently taking public transportation, and he would be driving.

he would love to keep the drive under 30 minutes, ideally. would be working normal 9 to 5.

im fine with the bigger time commitment, as i can read or knit or something, but would love to avoid having to take 3 different modes of transport to get home.

my work commute times are off hours - my day starts at 12:30pm at the earliest, usually more like 5:30 to 10:30pm. and i do work on weekends.

Thanks so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 07:35 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Pearl River or Nanuet...

Old 04-23-2018, 04:56 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Perhaps post your question in the Long Island forum for more replies.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Perhaps post your question in the Long Island forum for more replies.
Stony Point, not Stony Brook...

Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 AM

974 posts, read 1,413,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppiseed View Post
Hi!

So, totally new here, and if there is somewhere that is more appropriate for me to ask this, please feel free to let me know.

I currently work in midtown in the theatre district, and my husband is looking at a job that would be in Stony Point.

if he were to get this position, what would be a good, halfway-ish town to look at apartments? Im currently taking public transportation, and he would be driving.

he would love to keep the drive under 30 minutes, ideally. would be working normal 9 to 5.

im fine with the bigger time commitment, as i can read or knit or something, but would love to avoid having to take 3 different modes of transport to get home.

my work commute times are off hours - my day starts at 12:30pm at the earliest, usually more like 5:30 to 10:30pm. and i do work on weekends.

Thanks so much for your time!
For me, your question can’t be considered until your mode of transportation into Manhattan is determined. Train, bus or car? Your non-traditional hours may make public transportation impossible or unpleasant.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Pearl River or Nanuet...
Thanks! Nanuet was kinda on the radar, but totally skipped Pearl River

Quote:
For me, your question can’t be considered until your mode of transportation into Manhattan is determined. Train, bus or car? Your non-traditional hours may make public transportation impossible or unpleasant.
ideally, i would like to take a train into penn station. i can walk to work from there. open to busses, i just would ideally like to avoid bus>train>subway.

i do know how to drive, and have a car, but as parking in midtown can be unreal, would like to avoid it.

spoke with husband tonight, he's willing to drive up to 60 min, but his big sticking point is that he wants to be west of the Hudson.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 AM

974 posts, read 1,413,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppiseed View Post
Thanks! Nanuet was kinda on the radar, but totally skipped Pearl River

ideally, i would like to take a train into penn station. i can walk to work from there. open to busses, i just would ideally like to avoid bus>train>subway.

i do know how to drive, and have a car, but as parking in midtown can be unreal, would like to avoid it.

spoke with husband tonight, he's willing to drive up to 60 min, but his big sticking point is that he wants to be west of the Hudson.
There are not a lot of train options for your hours and your parameters, and none will be an express. Its probably worse for buses. Driving would be the best, because without rush hour it will be ALOT quicker than the train and the bus. You should explore monthly garage fees/gas and compare that to monthly train tickets and the value of saving a lot of time of your commute. And with driving you can leave whenever you want at both ends. Monthly parking is not that much more expensive, given the massive return in saved time. You will be saving more than 30 minutes each way I would think. Plus you will be able to further reduce your commute time by cutting out the time waiting for the next train. All of this presupposes you will be in Rockland or Bergen.

As for your husband's sticking point, you should point out that someone has to cross the Hudson. If its not him, than its you. And if its not you, than its him. But if it were me, and I had to be on the west side of the Hudson, I would rent in southeast Rockland or Bergen and drive to Manhattan. Maybe focus on Pearl River or a community in Bergen near a train to give you the option of using the train if you need to, although your costs go up a lot if you bounce back and forth between driving and taking the train because both are cheaper if you buy a monthly.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Orangeburg, Tappan, Pearl River are all at the half way point between the two, you could also look at Montvale NJ which is just over the line from Pearl River.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
The #11 and #20 buses (operated by Rockland Coaches) serve Pearl River & Nanuet (and those areas also have train service to Hoboken. Transfer in Secaucus for service to Penn Station)

https://web.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAss...7/route11a.pdf
https://web.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAss...97/route20.pdf

Service is usually once per hour off-peak, and the last bus leaves the Port Authority at 11:30pm on the #11 and 12:15am on the #20 (every day).

Another option that some people use is to drive (or take the Tappan Zee Express: http://rocklandgov.com/files/4715/02...2017_FINAL.pdf ) to Tarrytown and take Metro-North to Manhattan. The Tappan Zee Express runs fairly late and it's also around once per hour off-peak (the schedule is a little harder to memorize offhand, though. The Rockland Coaches buses usually come at the same time every hour)

Of course, the real question is if you can get back in time to catch the last bus of the night.

Another option is to drive into New Jersey (or to Tarrytown, since Metro-North runs until 1:50pm). You have routes like the #165, #166, and #167 which all run past 1am.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:08 AM

Thanks all!

I think we’re leaning toward Secaucus, at least for the first year. I know how to drive, but this North Carolina transplant would much rather take a train than subject the good people of NY to my wide right turns and over cautious merging.

It looks like I could theoretically catch any NJ transit train leaving penn, and get home within a half hour. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Husband is cool with this commute as well- he is a much better driver than I, and has done this particular route a few times, and feels like it’s doable. Winter is his only concern- how are the roads in general come snow time?

His position might involve a fair amount of travel as well, so being a hair closer to Newark isn’t a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York