Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:26 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times

Advertisements

Cortland, if it were in Vermont, would be its second largest city. Due to the near-absence of traffic in CNY, compared to its constant presence closer to the megalopolis, the time to shopping and airports from in-town locations is actually comparable to some more metropolitan suburbs. Some flavor of its roll your own culture and purplish politics can be derived from its still locally owned newspaper Cortland Standard – Serving Cortland, New York, and surrounding communities since 1867

It is, as noted, in the opposite direction from NYC coming from Binghamton. Intercity buses from any of Cortland, Ithaca, or Binghamton would offer comparable portal-to-portal times vs. driving to Syracuse and flying to Newark or LaGuardia.

Scranton has frequent bus service to NYC. Though no one would confuse that eastern outpost of the Rust Belt with Brattleboro, its northern suburbs of Clarks Summit and the Abington townships faintly resemble New England (the stone walls left by early Connecticut settlers help that impression). Honesdale and Hawley, though these are starting to get far from Bingo, are close enough to the Delaware to be plausibly labeled "Pocono" and sufficiently far north to be closer to a New England town plan, and far east enough to have some hippie-ish influence too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 09:12 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Here is an article I came across that is somewhat relevant to this thread: City home prices: Stable, affordable – Cortland Standard

Old 07-07-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Homer is the closest thing to fitting due to being a bigger, walkable village with a decent “Downtown”. It does have this art center as well: Center for the Arts | Homer NY

https://www.homerny.org

With this said, except for south of the village due to the city of Cortland, it is quite rural once you leave it.

Ithaca is only an hour away from Syracuse, if that via Route 13 to I-81 North. Its airport does have flights to Newark.

I’d even say to look into nice areas of Cortland like the NW portion of the city near Route 281. That area is close to the village of Homer, isn’t too far from Ithaca(about 25-35 minutes) and it isn’t far from the on ramp to I-81 to Syracuse. SUNY-Cortland is nearby as well and it has some events you may be interested in too.

Another thing, Binghamton University is actually in Vestal, which is a solidly middle class town. It isn’t walkable, but if you don’t mind an urban neighborhood, Binghamton’s West Side(south of Main Street) and the western half/two-thirds of the city’s South Side are generally nice, working to upper middle class areas of that city. Both areas are also in close proximity to the BU campus as well. So, that may be something to consider as well.

Closer to Syracuse, the Chenango Valley school district is a solid/nice suburban area just north of Binghamton. Port Dickinson is a village within that SD.

Hope this helps...
Some areas I had in mind, south of Main Street: Census Block Group 001500-4 in Broome County, New York (close to BU campus)
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0967...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

Census Block Group 001500-3 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001500-2 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001400-1 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001400-4 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001400-6 in Broome County, New York
More working/lower middle class parts of that area: Census Block Group 001500-5 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001400-5 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001500-1 in Broome County, New York

middle class areas in the western 2/3rds of South Side: Census Block Group 001600-3 in Broome County, New York (very close to the BU campus) https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0856...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

Census Block Group 001600-2 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001700-3 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001700-2 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001800-4 in Broome County, New York
working class parts of that area: Census Block Group 001700-5 in Broome County, New York
Census Block Group 001700-4 in Broome County, New York

Old 07-16-2018, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,709 times
Wow, you guys, your responses have been SUPER helpful! Now I have a few solid leads for the long-term.
Homer looks really cute, BTW. Also, I didn't know you could fly in and out of Ithaca. I'll check that out.

Thanks, community!

Old 07-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Homer is the closest thing to fitting due to being a bigger, walkable village with a decent “Downtown”. It does have this art center as well: Center for the Arts | Homer NY

https://www.homerny.org

With this said, except for south of the village due to the city of Cortland, it is quite rural once you leave it.

Ithaca is only an hour away from Syracuse, if that via Route 13 to I-81 North. Its airport does have flights to Newark.

I’d even say to look into nice areas of Cortland like the NW portion of the city near Route 281. That area is close to the village of Homer, isn’t too far from Ithaca(about 25-35 minutes) and it isn’t far from the on ramp to I-81 to Syracuse. SUNY-Cortland is nearby as well and it has some events you may be interested in too.

Another thing, Binghamton University is actually in Vestal, which is a solidly middle class town. It isn’t walkable, but if you don’t mind an urban neighborhood, Binghamton’s West Side(south of Main Street) and the western half/two-thirds of the city’s South Side are generally nice, working to upper middle class areas of that city. Both areas are also in close proximity to the BU campus as well. So, that may be something to consider as well.

Closer to Syracuse, the Chenango Valley school district is a solid/nice suburban area just north of Binghamton. Port Dickinson is a village within that SD.

Hope this helps...
Along with the art center in Homer, this facility is in Cortland: https://www.cortlandrep.org

On the Cortland State campus: Dowd Gallery - SUNY Cortland

Performances/Events - SUNY Cortland

Old 07-16-2018, 05:16 PM

Art based events/places in Ithaca: Ithaca Art Trail: Home

Ithaca Artist Market : Community Arts Partnership

https://www.ithaca.com/entertainment/art/

gallerynightithaca.com

https://www.saltonstall.org

Home | Ithaca Festival

https://www.visitithaca.com/attractions/theatre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York