Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 AM

18 posts, read 106,447 times

Advertisements

We visited Warwick over the weekend to view homes. It really is a very charming place, but I have many concerns. Firstly, we were raised in NYC and the thought of living in the country is a little scary to me. It would definitely be a huge transition. Where are the places to shop around here...supermarkets, malls, etc.? I am aware that we are still pretty close to our beloved Manhattan so that helps.

Secondly, work would be a big issue for me. Where are the nearest hospitals besides St. Anthony's?

Thirdly, the schools are very highly rated (10s and 9s) but the home prices and taxes are not outrageous like in Westchester County. This is really the most appealing to us since we have a five yr. old.

This would be a starter home for us with the hope of eventually moving back to Westchester in the future (unless we really fall in love with the Warwick lifestyle). Is this such a terrible way of thinking?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

P.S. Any thoughts on Warwick Meadows or any other desirable townhome community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,233 times
I cannot help you with specific places to shop. But usually there are Shop Rites, Wal-mart, Stop n Shop and local grocers in the area. For clothing you can look up your favorite stores online and do a location search. Or order right online. There is also a big outlet in Woodbury Commons to shop at they have some of your more upscale namebrands. These communities usually try to beat down strip malls and stuff so sometimes you have to look in the yellow pages then see where the store is on a map. There is also tons of shopping in Paramus NJ area off Rte 4 and rte 17.

Your definition of "country" is a little funny to someone raised in Northern OC. The schools are pretty good and the town might not have the stores you have in Manhatten but it does have activities and opportunities you kids might not have if they lived in NYC, like hiking, horseback riding, lakes and such.

St. Anthony's is about the only thing you have as far as hospitals in Warwick. I believe there is one in Suffren NY which should not be too far. How far are you willing to drive? Within 1 hour are St Lukes Newburgh, Arden Hill, Horton (both part of Orange Regional Medical Center), Middletown NY, Westchester Regional at Valhallah (should be 1 hour or less depending on where you live in warwick), there is a psych ward somewhere around Goshen NY..there might be a few more in Northern Jersey that are less than 1 hour as well. I would advise hitting one of the online yellow pages and doing a search for hospitals within a radius. Many are online and list jobs online too. There are a couple in Sussex NJ, but it is 16 miles on back roads so I really don't know how far it would be for you. I would guess at least 32 minutes. Check out infospace.com and search for hospitals and use the "distance from address" option. Warwick's zip is 10990.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:35 PM

18 posts, read 106,447 times
Default Hey Winnie...

LOL...the term "country" is all perspective, I guess. I was driving around and and saw plenty of farmland, cows etc which I have to admit has a certain appeal.

My husband works in Manhattan and I in Westchester but I would not want to work on this side of the Tappanzee if my daughter is in school in Rockland, Orange etc. I need to feel like I can get to her in less than half hour if I had to.

I will certainly look up the hospitals you mentioned. Thank you so much for the advice, Winnie.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:55 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,233 times
No problem. Give Orange Regional a check...I think the Arden Hill campus is about 9 miles from downtown Warwick.

Don't forget that some (maybe all?) towns offer the STAR discount on taxes if you go to the town hall and fill out a form. You have to live in your home as a primary residence. Be sure to ask the realtor if the taxes reported are with or without the STAR discount. And make sure you are getting the school district you want. Some towns use other town's schools if you are on the outskirts.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:08 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
"What is Warwick like"? I know a very broad question but can it be answered.

Do people in Warwick "shop locally". Is there a local grocery shop? Do people go to Walmart (we hate Walmart..looks like they are pretty far away though) We are looking for this sort of go local movement that is going on around Ulster county NY, New Paltz area, but would like to consider being a little closer to Bergen County NJ.

From stats, it looks like the town has virtually no crime ??? About 6000 people which is a nice fair size.

Taxes seem high for the house ($6500 on a 250k house, vs $6500 on a 400k house here in NJ), but that 250k house is going to be a little nicer than my house for much less money.

It has its own schools... what towns attend Warwick's schools?

FYI I work at home so job is not that important for the time being.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,134 times
Yes,
From Manhattan also. Looking forward to piece and quiet. We are in the 45-50 range and are tired of all the noise of Manhattan. Looking to be quiet and peaceful. Saw Chester but the reviews were all about gangs, thugs drugs and violence. No thanks. Warwick, seems nice and quiet what we are looking for, from what the comments here suggest. I am a Volunteer NYPD cop in Manhattan my fiancee also works in Law. She, her mom and I would be in the move. We need to live Train or Bus distance from NYC. Her work is in Brooklyn. Warwick, NY seems like 5he right choice. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you, for your time.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:59 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney H. View Post
Yes,
From Manhattan also. Looking forward to piece and quiet. We are in the 45-50 range and are tired of all the noise of Manhattan. Looking to be quiet and peaceful. Saw Chester but the reviews were all about gangs, thugs drugs and violence. No thanks. Warwick, seems nice and quiet what we are looking for, from what the comments here suggest. I am a Volunteer NYPD cop in Manhattan my fiancee also works in Law. She, her mom and I would be in the move. We need to live Train or Bus distance from NYC. Her work is in Brooklyn. Warwick, NY seems like 5he right choice. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you, for your time.
I lived in Chester for 5 years. I saw no gangs, drugs, thugs. I lived in the town, not the village. I know there's some poc who live in Whispering Hills and maybe the reviews are racially based? I did ONCE notice a kid with his pants down gangster style at the stoplight near McDonald's which is near whispering hills but that was one time and tbh, I've seen it more often in Warwick. The cops notice these things, too and know who needs to be watched. The majority of crime is dui and I remember the cvs and dunkin donuts were robbed many years ago. There's no random crime that I remember except for the occasional stealing from cars at the heritage trail parking lot. Either people leave it unlocked or leave valuables in plain sight and that stuff happens at every town with a parking lot. I never felt unsafe at all. I was more paranoid about hitting deer. Lol

FWIW, Warwick also has drug problems with the teen/young adult community particularly opioids. Like Chester, it's not really anything you're going to be impacted by unless you have kids that might get involved. It's definitely not like Middletown or Port Jervis.

There's travel to NYC from both towns but I always used the coach bus from the park and ride in Monroe. I just preferred it and it seemed to run more often than the other spots. It gets off at port authority. I think there's another option but iirc, requires a transfer in NJ and takes you to grand central.

Warwick is definitely an option for nypd and fdny, the block my dad lived on had 1 of each but they were always exhausted. If you don't have to be in a walkable area, I would suggest looking at Chester but with Warwick schools, especially if kids are involved. Some area I know are Bellevale (sp?), Gibson Hill and the streets that are off them. A realtor would know more.

The biggest negatives about Warwick are high taxes and it's really far from the highway.
Florida might be worth looking into as well.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I lived in Chester for 5 years. I saw no gangs, drugs, thugs. I lived in the town, not the village. I know there's some poc who live in Whispering Hills and maybe the reviews are racially based? I did ONCE notice a kid with his pants down gangster style at the stoplight near McDonald's which is near whispering hills but that was one time and tbh, I've seen it more often in Warwick. The cops notice these things, too and know who needs to be watched. The majority of crime is dui and I remember the cvs and dunkin donuts were robbed many years ago. There's no random crime that I remember except for the occasional stealing from cars at the heritage trail parking lot. Either people leave it unlocked or leave valuables in plain sight and that stuff happens at every town with a parking lot. I never felt unsafe at all. I was more paranoid about hitting deer. Lol

FWIW, Warwick also has drug problems with the teen/young adult community particularly opioids. Like Chester, it's not really anything you're going to be impacted by unless you have kids that might get involved. It's definitely not like Middletown or Port Jervis.

There's travel to NYC from both towns but I always used the coach bus from the park and ride in Monroe. I just preferred it and it seemed to run more often than the other spots. It gets off at port authority. I think there's another option but iirc, requires a transfer in NJ and takes you to grand central.

Warwick is definitely an option for nypd and fdny, the block my dad lived on had 1 of each but they were always exhausted. If you don't have to be in a walkable area, I would suggest looking at Chester but with Warwick schools, especially if kids are involved. Some area I know are Bellevale (sp?), Gibson Hill and the streets that are off them. A realtor would know more.

The biggest negatives about Warwick are high taxes and it's really far from the highway.
Florida might be worth looking into as well.
My family and I moved to Chester 6 months ago. We started our home search in Warwick and wound up in Chester w/Warwick Schools. Taxes are a bit higher for this reason but overall the commute is the biggest nut to crack. I work as a Construction Mgr and pretty much build hospitals on the UES and take Coach bus from either Monroe or Chester to PABT. It sucks, it really does but you feel really good once your back in the country. I think Chester is pretty safe, especially coming from Queens or any NYC borough. You always have to keep your eye out for the onesie twosie bad person, they are everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York