Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2020, 09:51 AM

757 posts, read 1,104,771 times

Advertisements

Hey, how do you guys envision the future of New York City?

I'm 30 years old and I've been living in NYC since I was born, but for the first time ever I'm starting to see that my future may not be here. The pandemic hasn't been easy on our city, I feel crime has increased tenfold, and we might be on the verge of a housing collapse etc.

Also, what's going to happen when things go back to 'normal'? Will the MTA need a massive bailout? Will there be fare increases? I can only imagine how costly life will be here in the next year or 2.

Do any of see yourselves staying in NY?

Old 07-07-2020, 11:01 AM

93,779 posts, read 124,493,435 times
This would likely get answered in the NYC forum.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:25 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,292,905 times

Old 07-07-2020, 05:38 PM

5,760 posts, read 4,131,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post

I'm 30 years old and I've been living in NYC since I was born, but for the first time ever I'm starting to see that my future may not be here. The pandemic hasn't been easy on our city, I feel crime has increased tenfold, and we might be on the verge of a housing collapse etc.

Also, what's going to happen when things go back to 'normal'? Will the MTA need a massive bailout? Will there be fare increases? I can only imagine how costly life will be here in the next year or 2.

No one can predict the future, but I believe that NYC will continue to be where most people immigrate to. At the same time, I see those born in the USA moving farther away from the density. Cost of Living will be rising 20% minimum

Old 07-07-2020, 07:24 PM

9,184 posts, read 13,282,177 times
Default The future of NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post

I think the city will decline somewhat.

De Blasio and Co. must think that money grows on trees. But it doesn't, one just has to look like at what happened to the city in the 1970s when it is almost when broke. Same thing happened back then, a serious of bad & weak mayors gave away the city's money like there was no tomorrow.

Besides the financial mismanagement, there are several long term trends that the city is not prepared for. One is rising sea levels and increased amount of storms. Another is a recent trend toward being able to work from home.

Finally, the city is almost certainly going to see a rise in crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York