Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 03:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You can pick up WAMC FM just about everywhere in eastern NY as they have a bunch of satellite transmitters. From the map of the coverage area, it appears that their main signal 90.3 comes from an antenna located on Mt. Greylock in MA.
Western Mass is upstate NY confirmed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 07:26 PM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
^ It is similar, but of course not Upstate. lol

I'm not surprised that their tower is in MS, as it is right there and the Albany media market goes into Western MA.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 6,185,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not surprised that their tower is in MS, as it is right there and the Albany media market goes into Western MA.

It's all the way down in Mississippi?

Old 09-28-2020, 05:21 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,692 times
Default try this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It's all the way down in Mississippi?
"Its Mr Spellcheck"..lol...how about Mass. ?

Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 AM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
"Its Mr Spellcheck"..lol...how about Mass. ?
Yeah, the fat finger syndrome got me given that a and s are next to each other.

With that said, I’d still say most would consider the Albany area as Upstate.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:52 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times
Upstate can be wherever you want it to be. People here in NJ just know that you're not talking about Long Island or NYC.

"I'm going camping this weekend"

Where?

"Upstate"

Where Upstate?

"Harriman State Park."

Crazy as that sounds, you probably won't get an argument from anyone here. If you said that to someone in St. Lawrence County, they'd definitely look at you weird. So, I'd say it depends where you live.

In a nutshell, to NYC metro people, Upstate is anywhere north of the city where people go to get back to nature / unwind / relax / do country activities.

Old 09-28-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^ It is similar, but of course not Upstate. lol
I was just joking of course. But I like that part of Mass. I used to go skiing up there sometimes when Hunter was too crowded, and Great Barrington has a nice little downtown business district with some cool shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Upstate can be wherever you want it to be. People here in NJ just know that you're not talking about Long Island or NYC.

Where?
"Upstate"
Where Upstate?
"Harriman State Park."

Crazy as that sounds, you probably won't get an argument from anyone here. If you said that to someone in St. Lawrence County, they'd definitely look at you weird. So, I'd say it depends where you live.

In a nutshell, to NYC metro people, Upstate is anywhere north of the city where people go to get back to nature / unwind / relax / do country activities.
Quoted for truth.

I have my own definition based on my own impressions combined with numerous arguments with people from Levittown to Watertown, but as long as the usage makes sense within the context of the person using it, there is no sense in getting drawn into an argument over semantics.

I mean if someone from Beacon calls Poughkeepsie 'upstate', or someone from Schroon Lake calls Schenectady 'downstate', I will either assume they are trolling or gatekeeping, but if someone from from NYC calls Orange County Upstate, or someone from Plattsburgh calls Ulster County 'downstate', I know where they are coming from, even if I technically disagree.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:57 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

Where?

"Upstate"

Where Upstate?

"Harriman State Park."

It is not as crazy as it sounds because alot of our traditions go back generations or even hundreds of years.

I am guessing but Upstate/Downstate probably comes from going up and down the Hudson River, a river which goes almost exactly North/South from NYC to Albany or vice-versa. So originally it was a directional term. In other words someone in New York City was literally going upstate to go to Newburgh or downstate from Newburgh to Manhattan. It did not have the urban/suburban/rural divide that many people think of it today.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:05 AM

974 posts, read 1,413,118 times
Just like almost every other word/phrase in the English language, its meaning can be subtlety different, or even wildly different, depending on context. For instance, no serious person would ever say that Westchester and Rockland are outside of Metro NY. But within the context of Metro NY, we don't have a short conversational phrase to define Westchester/Rockland (and Orange and Putnam if you add such to the mix). The closest we have is "upstate". Contrast this with Long Island, for which we have the simple phrase "Long Island". No one says "yeah, I'm going to Westchester tomorrow", just like no one says "yeah, I'm going to Suffolk tomorrow." "Upstate" has become the word used in conversation to define that part of the Metro area that is north of NYC.

The use of the word "upstate" in this context does not mean the speaker thinks Yonkers, or White Plains, or Pearl River, or Yorktown are more rural than Suffolk County. It's just the phrase that is used. "Hudson Valley" or "Lower Hudson Valley" has never caught on. Nor has other non-existent phrases like Metro North, or Northtowns, or whatever.

Of course, the word "upstate", used in different contexts, also refers to that portion of the state which is outside of NYC's orbit. I think this is where people get confused. But its no different than a million other words that have differing meanings depending on context.

Also, people seem to want this to be an exact science. It is not. For instance, every person I have ever known from Queens refers to Manhattan as "the city". As in, "I'll be getting to the city at about 8 tonight." This is not incorrect simply because such person is already in NYC when they say it.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Just like almost every other word/phrase in the English language, its meaning can be subtlety different, or even wildly different, depending on context. For instance, no serious person would ever say that Westchester and Rockland are outside of Metro NY. But within the context of Metro NY, we don't have a short conversational phrase to define Westchester/Rockland (and Orange and Putnam if you add such to the mix). The closest we have is "upstate". Contrast this with Long Island, for which we have the simple phrase "Long Island". No one says "yeah, I'm going to Westchester tomorrow", just like no one says "yeah, I'm going to Suffolk tomorrow." "Upstate" has become the word used in conversation to define that part of the Metro area that is north of NYC.
If you are going from Manhattan to someplace in Westchester, you can just say the name of the city or village. Or you can say Westchester. People from the city used to say "Up in Rockland." and "I'm moving to Westchester because I need a yard.", etc., all the time.

That's my impression from Manhattan and the Bronx. Maybe Brooklynites and Queens are weird about calling Westchester and Rockland by their names, I don't know.

If you are upstate, you could also describe Westchester/Rockland/Putnam/Orange as "Downstate", as in, "Where is Croton?" "It's downstate, near Peekskill."

Another option is to call the region north of the city the "Lower Hudson Valley". That is more or less the official designation of the region up to Dutchess when you hit the "Middle Hudson Valley".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York