Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 09:54 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
This radius is "as the crow flies" and includes Hamilton, Mississauga and downtown Toronto, but not included if calculated following the roads. In the foreseeable future, Canada is a mute point
For now, but not necessarily pre COVID, as many came from Canada to shop, attend events, etc.

Even by roads, you are still looking at another 1 million people or so in Canada within that radius or mileage length. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Peninsula

Keep in mind that the radius would cross well into the Rochester CSA, Chautauqua County and Cattaraugus County from Buffalo. There will be some crossover into other areas, as they aren't too far apart from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 11:22 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
They may, but they both have under 1 million people within the metro area. However, since they are the 5th and 6th biggest cities in the state, they have more "pull" than their metro populations. Here is a nice tool that allows you to see what the population is from a radius of 100 km/62.14 miles from the center of a city: https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm

Both of those cities have about 1.6. million people(Syracuse a little less and Albany a little bit more) within that radius. Interestingly, Rochester is a little over 1.8 million, but Buffalo is around 4.2 million people due to the proximity to portions of Ontario's Golden Horseshoe economic region.
The number of people within 100km changes significantly depending where you place the center:

100km from:
Downtown Buffalo: 4.2 million
Delaware Park: 5.2 million
Niagara Falls: 7.7 million

Old 10-29-2020, 11:26 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
The number of people within 100km changes significantly depending where you place the center:

100km from:
Downtown Buffalo: 4.2 million
Delaware Park: 5.2 million
Niagara Falls: 7.7 million
Well, obviously Niagara Falls is peerless.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
What helps the bolded city is that it has a Fortune 500 company that it is centered around, where as Batavia has a handful of smaller manufacturing/food processing companies. With that said, I think how Batavia uses its Downtown Revitalization money will help determine if it becomes more of a destination of sorts. https://www.ny.gov/sites/ny.gov/file...es/Batavia.pdf

https://www.batavianewyork.com/sites...ri_funding.pdf

Batavia has some things that may appeal to families in the area now(minor league baseball, Darien Lake, Palm Island Water Park, Jell-O Museum in LeRoy, etc.), but it would be nice for it to build off of its assets and take advantage of its location.
Here is some information about Genesee County/Batavia area development, From pumpkin farm to $500 million agri-business hub in Genesee County: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...ectations.html

Old 11-30-2020, 07:39 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Buffalo has a better movie. Vince Gallo's Buffalo '66.
I'd love that movie even if I weren't a Buffalonian

Old 11-30-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
What is interesting is that you can get some Buffalo radio stations(AM and FM) pretty easily in the western suburbs of Rochester and I'm sure the opposite is true in say the suburbs to the E/NE in the Buffalo area.

This may be the closest distance between suburban areas in both of these areas: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chur...d42.982216!3e0
From what I remember, reception for any Rochester station I've listened to (while visiting Rochester) tends to die out once you're barely west of Batavia...I'll have to remember to pay attention to this next time I make the trip

Looking at your map there, ~40 miles from 'edge of one area to edge of the other' makes sense...when I have headed to ROC over the years, I prefer taking Rte. 33 over taking I-90, and it doesn't really feel like a whole lot of time passes between being in one area and being in the other. Batavia being a landmark of sorts in the near-middle (despite its 585 area code, I'd have to guess it's slightly closer to the Buffalo area than the Rochester 'area' if we're picking Churchville as the boundary...but barely?) kinda helps.

Edit to say that it looks like Churchville may actually have the two mile-or-so edge over Clarence for Batavia proximity, heh.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 11-30-2020 at 07:55 PM..

Old 11-30-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
One thing that is very doable, if one wanted to bring the 2 regions closer together would be to complete Rt531 all the way to Lewiston. This would connect all the towns along the canal. Rochester, Spencerport, Brockport, Holley, Albion, Medina, Middleport, Gasport, Lockport. Maybe this route would make it less boring, plus may help to revitalize all these towns.

Rt531 could connect with the 990 outside of Lockport, connecting UB, and Buffalo.

If this road was built, I would recommend Niagara Falls, if the Bills ever build a new stadium. I know I've heard in the past, ideas about making NF more of an entertainment area for Buffalo. This would be perfect. As so much of Buffalo's fan base isn't directly from Buffalo, this could be great for people from Rochester and Canada to feel a little more equity.
Problem with that 531 idea is that Rochester metro skews a bit more north than the Buffalo metro...so Lockport and Lewiston are pretty off the radar for the average Buffalonian, whereas I know that Spencerport is considered a suburb of Rochester. I've always noted when taking I-90 that anywhere populated in suburban Roch is north of the interstate, while the 90 approaches Buffalo in its northern suburbs (before taking a turn for the southwest/to the PA line). Hell, Rochester itself extends as far as Lake Ontario...once, I attempted to take 104 back from Rochester, and that had the feel of a complete road to nowhere (without, to me, being anywhere near as enjoyable of a drive as 33), so I abandoned my quest somewhere in Orleans Cty

Old 11-30-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
What helps the bolded city is that it has a Fortune 500 company that it is centered around, where as Batavia has a handful of smaller manufacturing/food processing companies. With that said, I think how Batavia uses its Downtown Revitalization money will help determine if it becomes more of a destination of sorts. https://www.ny.gov/sites/ny.gov/file...es/Batavia.pdf

https://www.batavianewyork.com/sites...ri_funding.pdf

Batavia has some things that may appeal to families in the area now(minor league baseball, Darien Lake, Palm Island Water Park, Jell-O Museum in LeRoy, etc.), but it would be nice for it to build off of its assets and take advantage of its location.
regarding the bolded, I'm pretty sure I read an article this past summer wherein a longtime Batavia Muckdog employee/supporter was profiled and interviewed about the team potentially folding/relocating at the end of the 2020 season...I'll have to google, as I mostly forget. The article was incredibly nostalgic though, I remember that much

Old 12-01-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
regarding the bolded, I'm pretty sure I read an article this past summer wherein a longtime Batavia Muckdog employee/supporter was profiled and interviewed about the team potentially folding/relocating at the end of the 2020 season...I'll have to google, as I mostly forget. The article was incredibly nostalgic though, I remember that much
I think you are right and I think Auburn may be in a similar situation. I’m almost wondering if it could be called the NY-Penn League anymore.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:54 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Problem with that 531 idea is that Rochester metro skews a bit more north than the Buffalo metro...so Lockport and Lewiston are pretty off the radar for the average Buffalonian, whereas I know that Spencerport is considered a suburb of Rochester. I've always noted when taking I-90 that anywhere populated in suburban Roch is north of the interstate, while the 90 approaches Buffalo in its northern suburbs (before taking a turn for the southwest/to the PA line). Hell, Rochester itself extends as far as Lake Ontario...once, I attempted to take 104 back from Rochester, and that had the feel of a complete road to nowhere (without, to me, being anywhere near as enjoyable of a drive as 33), so I abandoned my quest somewhere in Orleans Cty

Not a problem at all. It does what it is intended to do. It connects the two larger regions as well as the smaller ones. Probably cuts an hour off a Rochester to Toronto trip, and with an extended 990 directly connects UB and Buffalo. Win/ Win for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York