Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 21,473 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a NYC woman who will be relocating to Kingston IF I am blessed to be offered a NYS position in the near future. I have a car. I have lived in a small town in NH (pop. 4,000) for five long winters, so I am not afraid to leave the "Big Ol Apple" but, I keep hearing drastically opposing views from people about how safe (and cosmopolitan) Kingston is. Also, I prefer to be in an area where there are visible and multiple pedestrians.. I have read the posts here and most are from a few years ago.. Is downtown Kingston still considered dangerous? Please keep in mind that I was raised in the Bronx so I am not easily intimidated - I actually feel safer on city streets with a diversity of people then I do walking on any quiet streets or country roads especially after dark..Anyway, please give me some advice. I am looking to rent a room in a house or a 2 -3 bdrm apt with other(s).. What areas would you suggest? What areas should I avoid? Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:36 AM

40 posts, read 153,724 times
Since you have a car, you can consider areas just outside of Kingston as well. The major place to avoid is what is called mid town (the upper end of Broadway). This is also called the "Hood" and is the worst part of the city as far as crime. The lower end of Broadway is quite nice with a lot of nice cafe's and restaurants. If you like "in city" living you may like that area. Ulster county is mainly about country life and outdoor recreation as far as things to do. If you like hiking and nature it will be paradise. The Catskills are right nearby and also the Shawangunks. If you like art, you may like Woodstock. It is a small village, walkable and without the urban ills that are in some spots of Kingston. Overall Ulster County is a slightly milder and probably more liberal version of NH and still close enough to NYC for a day trip.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 AM

14 posts, read 41,618 times
Everything rhenning said is spot-on: you want to avoid Midtown Kingston, but downtown (by "the Strand") or uptown ("The Stockade District") could be good options for you. Both feel pretty urban, are pedestrian-oriented, and have a good amount of eateries, cafes, etc.

Uptown Kingston: Kingston Stockade District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Downtown by the Rondout ("The Strand"): Rondout, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sounds like you're not too interested in rural or small-town living, but if you were, I would recommend Saugerties and Woodstock as good commutable options. (Saugerties, in particular, has a great, concentrated downtown with lots of shops and restaurants, so it may be worth a look.)

There are plenty of other fine areas in and around Kingston -- Lake Katrine, East Kingston, Port Ewen, Hurley, etc. -- so let me know if you have any other questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York