Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 07:02 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,166,092 times

Advertisements

There may be a move away from the traditional American idea that highways are a good thing and should mow down anything in their path. This is particularly relevant for New York, because Robert Moses is an important part of our history, and he was known for ripping apart neighbors to favor traffic.

Can Removing Highways Fix America’s Cities?
By Nadja Popovich, Josh Williams and Denise Lu

As midcentury highways reach the end of their life spans, cities across the country are having to choose whether to rebuild or reconsider them. And a growing number, like Rochester, are choosing to take them down.

In order to accommodate cars and commuters, many cities “basically destroyed themselves,” said Norman Garrick, a professor at the University of Connecticut who studies how transportation projects have reshaped American cities.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...y-removal.html

Can Removing Highways Fix America’s Cities? – The Tarbabys Blog

https://www.yahoo.com/news/removing-...142313339.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 07:48 PM

94,274 posts, read 125,222,432 times
Not just Robert Moses, but the Federal Interstate Highway system as well. I-81 in Syracuse is an example of this.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:57 PM

765 posts, read 629,588 times
Moving away from giant highways could help in a lot of ways.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:02 AM

5,793 posts, read 4,183,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
Moving away from giant highways could help in a lot of ways.
I'm listening. Make your case.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:25 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,835,901 times
Traffic congestion during rush-hour would be horrific. In some (very few) situation its not too bad (see Rochester's inner loop removal). But any sort of major highway removal would be a terrible idea IMO.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:36 AM

9,205 posts, read 6,369,086 times
I have known roads all my life and I never knew roads were racist. Wow.

"Pete Buttigieg, who heads the department [of Transportation], has expressed support for removing barriers that divided Black and minority communities, saying that “there is racism physically built into some of our highways.” "

Without the interstate system, how would all the northerners come south for the winter? I-75, I-81, and I-95 seem pretty full come winter time. Without highways, how would people leave Long Island and get to the mainland? What would Washington be without "the beltway", inside the beltway, and outside the beltway?

Are we in for more and more "Big Digs" a la Boston?
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/th...ts-and-figures

Old 06-21-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I'm listening. Make your case.
Did you read the articles linked? There's a lot there about making neighborhoods livable and walkable. I support both those goals.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I have known roads all my life and I never knew roads were racist. Wow.

"Pete Buttigieg, who heads the department [of Transportation], has expressed support for removing barriers that divided Black and minority communities, saying that “there is racism physically built into some of our highways.” "

Without the interstate system, how would all the northerners come south for the winter? I-75, I-81, and I-95 seem pretty full come winter time. Without highways, how would people leave Long Island and get to the mainland? What would Washington be without "the beltway", inside the beltway, and outside the beltway?

Are we in for more and more "Big Digs" a la Boston?
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/th...ts-and-figures
You do know massive highways have to be build somewhere, right? In densely inhabited cities (like NYC), they were often built in/over black/majority minority neighborhoods. Thus cutting them up and destroying the buildings that were there to create space for the highways.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:54 AM

94,274 posts, read 125,222,432 times
^I’m more in the camp of gt87. In terms of I-81 in Syracuse, I don’t have too much of an issue, as it is focused on the area in between Downtown(including the neighborhoods just south of it) and University Hill. An example to the north that comes to mind that could be followed is how I/Route 481 runs to and through Fulton. It is I-481 up to just south of Fulton city limits, where it becomes a surface level boulevard with traffic lights/intersections through the city, until it opens back up just north of the city up to just south of Oswego. So, that is an example that could replicated in Syracuse or in other cities.

For those not familiar with the Fulton area, here is a street view of where it becomes more of a surface road/boulevard at the southern end of the city: https://goo.gl/maps/WmqExCSNkocTYVvu5

Within the city: https://goo.gl/maps/3gQWL84vRdY7t4df9

Northern end of the city: https://goo.gl/maps/TfPHqA7aTiWQagQC7

North of the city, where 481 opens up again going towards Oswego: https://goo.gl/maps/8YZJNair6NcmPZNq9

Traffic going through the area can take I-481 around Syracuse or take surface streets, which are on a grid, within the city.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-21-2021 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-21-2021, 11:04 AM

975 posts, read 1,433,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
You do know massive highways have to be build somewhere, right? In densely inhabited cities (like NYC), they were often built in/over black/majority minority neighborhoods. Thus cutting them up and destroying the buildings that were there to create space for the highways.
This was done a long, long time ago and has no real affect on anyone's life at present, black or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York