Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 11:09 AM

93,593 posts, read 124,293,378 times

Advertisements

^To be fair, it did have some impact on businesses in and related to those communities. Which in turn, would/could have an impact on wealth.

There are also health aspects that people may not be aware of like this article illustrates: https://www.syracuse.com/kirst/2007/...ghborhood.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 11:14 AM

765 posts, read 623,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
This was done a long, long time ago and has no real affect on anyone's life at present, black or otherwise.
Yes, the long long time ago of... fifty to seventy years ago. There are people who were alive then who are still alive now. And the neighborhoods were permantently changed. It absolutely still affects people.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:48 AM

5,741 posts, read 4,116,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
Did you read the articles linked? There's a lot there about making neighborhoods livable and walkable. I support both those goals.

I see those articles are about Rochester, and you are from Queens. That particular project was about connecting two successful White neighborhoods. What did you want me to know?

Old 06-21-2021, 12:07 PM

Speaking only of Rochester, there are no "racist" expressways. I-490 E runs through the affluent east side, and through the "oppressed" towns of Brighton, Pittsford, Perinton and Victor. I-490 West runs through an area that now has a lot of minorities (still lots of whites), and it was still white when built. I-590 runs through Brighton, Pittsford and Irondequoit near the bay. I-390 runs through the suburbs only. I90 runs through the suburbs. 441 runs through Brighton and Penfield. Lake Ontario State Parkway didn't destroy any black neighborhoods.

In fact the Parkway would be a good example. When built, it cut through lots of wetlands, but everything adapted, and it would be foolish to disrupt everything to remove it. Same with some of these neighborhoods. They have adapted to the highways. Some businesses have located specifically BECAUSE of the expressways.

Just to many left wing activists looking for trouble where none exists. And hoping they will find fame and fortune for "caring" so much.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:30 PM

93,593 posts, read 124,293,378 times
^Even with this, taking the political aspect out, many of the highway projects cut off areas that could be used for prime development and to create walkable neighborhoods by connecting the grid together. Where the racial component comes in is just in terms of justifying “slum clearance†of highly/predominantly black neighborhoods or to cut right through them(the Hamlin Park neighborhood in Buffalo, a neighborhood known for its black middle class, is another example of this with Route 198/Scajaquada Expressway): https://goo.gl/maps/f6uLzXRfqEU4ma7j8

Here is a segment about the Kensington Expressway, which touches Hamlin Park’s eastern edge and cuts through much of Buffalo’s East Side: https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...ving-route-198

I believe the difference may also be time of development and some highways just used old rail beds/road ways. For an example, portions of I-690 were built on an old rail bed and cuts through the city of Syracuse going east/west.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,275,452 times
Everyday for a year now we been hearing that with work from home people want out of the cities.

I think we need to nothing with the cities at all for now. Lets give this trend a chance to see if it has legs.

If people want out then the money should follow them and we can build more roads to the suburbs, cutting down whatever parts of the now empty cities they need to.

If for some reason people stay in the cities we can re-visit this at that time.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:07 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,149,827 times
Quote:
Moving away from giant highways could help in a lot of ways.
But surprising, don't you think?

Old 06-22-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Moving away from giant highways could help in a lot of ways.

Of course it "could", all depending on what you mean by help.

So I will counter your offer, and say keeping the highways, maybe even expand them could help.

Both statements are true.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 8,957 times
Clearly not. Highways are the key to the future and I do think they speed up the travel that we once walk for like miles and hours man. Taking out highways is going to be a huge disaster that no one would want to be in at the very least. This is why I can vouch for the highways too.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:46 AM

974 posts, read 1,416,706 times
Quote:
Yes, the long long time ago of... fifty to seventy years ago. There are people who were alive then who are still alive now. And the neighborhoods were permantently changed. It absolutely still affects people.
No it doesn't. I have a State Highway that runs very very close to my house. When it was built, it "split" the neighborhood. It has no effect on me. When I make decisions like - do I commit crime or not; do I use drugs or not; do I father children at a young age and abandon them, or not; do I show up for work every day, or not; do I go to school everyday, or not - the fact that a State Highway is very close to me, and that it at one point "split" the neighborhood, had no affect on the decision I make.

Please tell me where I am wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York