Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 08:36 AM

3,509 posts, read 9,422,875 times

Advertisements

https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/5...ies-1137846/5/

Best places to live in Upstate NY for families

1) Williamsville ....Buffalo suburbs
2) Fayetteville...... Syracuse suburbs
3) Brighton.... Rochester suburbs
4) Eggertsville.... Buffalo suburbs
5) Clarence Center.... Buffalo suburbs
6) Harris Hill..... Buffalo suburbs
7) Westvale...... Syracuse suburbs
8) Fairport..... Rochester suburbs
9) Liverpool..... Syracuse suburbs
10) Kenmore.... Buffalo suburbs
11) Rapids.... Buffalo suburbs
12) Parkside..... Buffalo
13) Spencerport.... Rochester suburbs
14) Elma Center.... Buffalo suburbs
15) Sanborn.... Buffalo suburbs
16) Washington Park..... Albany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 09:23 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/5...ies-1137846/5/

Best places to live in Upstate NY for families

1) Williamsville ....Buffalo suburbs
2) Fayetteville...... Syracuse suburbs
3) Brighton.... Rochester suburbs
4) Eggertsville.... Buffalo suburbs
5) Clarence Center.... Buffalo suburbs
6) Harris Hill..... Buffalo suburbs
7) Westvale...... Syracuse suburbs
8) Fairport..... Rochester suburbs
9) Liverpool..... Syracuse suburbs
10) Kenmore.... Buffalo suburbs
11) Rapids.... Buffalo suburbs
12) Parkside..... Buffalo
13) Spencerport.... Rochester suburbs
14) Elma Center.... Buffalo suburbs
15) Sanborn.... Buffalo suburbs
16) Washington Park..... Albany
Interesting list as some places like Harris Hill and I believe Clarence Center are in the same school district. Also, for the two city neighborhoods mentioned, Washington Park seems to be somewhat random, but the criteria seems to be more investment based. Especially given that there may be other city neighborhoods on par with Parkside even within Albany like Buckingham Lake or Whitehall.

Even for Syracuse suburbs, I’d think that Baldwinsville would be on the list(which I couldn’t find the full list for some reason).

Then, they forget about suburbs like Vestal and Endwell outside of Binghamton or New Hartford outside of Utica, all of which offer very schools and in the case of Vestal and New Hartford, plenty of shopping. So, it leaves off a lot of other potential communities based off of the criteria or by just overlooking them.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:28 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,084,462 times
I didn't notice the criterial for this. As most of these places are, or have villages with restaurants and shops as I saw makes me think this was geared more towards adults, than families

Old 06-29-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I didn't notice the criterial for this. As most of these places are, or have villages with restaurants and shops as I saw makes me think this was geared more towards adults, than families
Actually, Westvale is just a CDP(Census Designated Place) in the town of Geddes. Other CDPs are: Clarence Center(town of Clarence), Harris Hill(town of Clarence), Elma Center(town of Elma), Sanborn(split between the towns of Cambria/Lewiston/Wheatfield), Rapids(town of Lockport), Eggertsville(town of Amherst) and even Brighton, which has a CDP that pretty much matches the town boundaries.

So, the places used seem to be quite random.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:52 PM

Something else to consider is that there are families that may not consider these places for a variety of reasons. So, this list wouldn’t be a one size fits all type of list.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Something else to consider is that there are families that may not consider these places for a variety of reasons. So, this list wouldn’t be a one size fits all type of list.
Exactly. I looked at Westvale, for instance, and there was not even ONE ball field or park.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:34 AM

3,509 posts, read 9,422,875 times
Quote:
Exactly. I looked at Westvale, for instance, and there was not even ONE ball field or park.
I agree it is an average suburb, nothing special. I'd recommend probably at least ten other Syracuse suburbs first before Westvale.

In my opinion, there are two great things about Westvale...Westhill schools and it looks nice.

The vibe of Westvale isn't the best compared to nearby Camillus or Fairmount.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
For Westvale, it has little league(Geddes)/Pop Warner(Westvale Knights) fields on Grand Avenue near Bishop Ludden HS(for some reason it isn’t included in the CDP boundaries) and there is a playground/tennis and basketball courts at Cherry Road Elementary School. There is a little playground at Walberta Park Elementary.

While those schools are in the Westhill SD, there are portions of the CDP that attend West Genesee Schools as well(Bishop Ludden is actually within the West Genesee SD for instance). Syracuse Academy of Science Charter Middle School is at the former St. Charles Borromeo School in the CDP.

Parts of Westvale are also pretty close to Burnet Park on Syracuse’s West Side(Tipperary Hill neighborhood), which also has the Rosamond Gifford Zoo. Parts are close to the shopping in the Fairmount Fair Shopping Center, a portion of which is actually in Westvale(Wegmans, Tully’s, McDonald’s, Panera Bread, Five Guys, Key Bank and a store or two).

Westvale has about 5600 people and due to its proximity to Tipperary Hill, it has a pretty high Irish American population(Polish as well due the historically Polish population in Syracuse’s Park Avenue area west of South Geddes Street/some Ukrainians as there is a concentration in Tipp Hill).

It honestly isn’t a bad suburb at all and it is convenient to things in the city and other suburbs. It is covered by very good schools as well. On a side note, Westhill also covers parts of the town of Onondaga such as the portion of Winkworth in the town Onondaga, the main portion of Onondaga Hill(hence Westhill for the district name) and some neighborhoods in the town just west of Western Lights Plaza on Onondaga Boulevard.

In terms of being the “best”, I was also thinking of the type of community families may be looking for. Some may want places that are more or even less culturally diverse. Some may want places that are more rural or urban/more walkable. Some may want to be able to take transportation as an option. Some may not want to live too far from the city. Some may want to be even further from the city. So, those are some of the things I was referring to.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-30-2023 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-30-2023, 07:19 AM

Some will disagree, but I believe the term "family friendly" means lots of open space and parks. Baseball and soccer/ football fields. Good schools. Ice cream shops over coffee shops. Fast food restaurants. Churches. Suburban over urban.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Some will disagree, but I believe the term "family friendly" means lots of open space and parks. Baseball and soccer/ football fields. Good schools. Ice cream shops over coffee shops. Fast food restaurants. Churches. Suburban over urban.
Well, there are some city neighborhoods that provide those things as well. So, it may come down to where a person looks within the city. For instance some families may like an area like Meadowbrook in Syracuse or Highland Park in Rochester over a suburb. I mention those two, because both are known for being city neighborhoods with its share of families that are solid/nice areas of those cities. Some may like neighborhoods like the North Park area of North Buffalo, the West Side(south of Main) in Binghamton, the Union Street corridor/GE Realty Plot in Schenectady, the SW two thirds of Albany(Helderberg/Whitehall/Buckingham Lake/Pine Hills/Delaware Avenue), the South Side of Watertown, North and South(south of Memorial Parkway) in Utica, etc. Those are areas of those cities that nice/solid areas with their share of families and amenities for them nearby. So, it may depend on the family, neighborhood, preference and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York