Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 AM

52 posts, read 216,140 times

Advertisements

My husband might get a job working at the USMA. We have never been to NY. I would love to hear about the area, both good and bad!
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
i don't know much about the living there - but it's an absolutely beautiful setting on the hudson river - still relatively close to the city as well

Old 06-28-2008, 09:04 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Drop dead gorgeous area out in the country with tons of parks and recreation, yet without traffic you can probably be in Manhattan in one hour. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Drop dead gorgeous area out in the country with tons of parks and recreation, yet without traffic you can probably be in Manhattan in one hour. You will be pleasantly surprised.
I never have lived there, but it seems like a very nice place from every time I have visited

Old 06-30-2008, 05:00 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn.Sunshine View Post
My husband might get a job working at the USMA. We have never been to NY. I would love to hear about the area, both good and bad!
Thank you so much!
I love the area, even though I have never lived there -- we used to camp in the area. The area is outstanding in terms of beauty: small towns, reasonably quiet, lots of forests, hilly. Dutch ( and other) farmers farmed here in the earliest days of NY; there are still lots of old stone walls in the woods. It is one of the oldest settled parts of the state, other than NYC and LI. Weather is from cold and snowy in winter to warm in summer; I think you would find it colder than you are used to all year round. Depending on where you find to live, it might be humid in summer or not.

I would expect it to be quite a bit more expensive than where you live, unless you are in a pricy city/burb.

You need to come see it and drive around.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM

133 posts, read 498,319 times
West Point is like everyone else said on here in a very charming part of NYS. If you husband is military than I am sure you will have no problem with housing and BAH. Also WP hire a lot of civilians and you would get spouse preference. If he is not military I'm sure you will still have a great time. The pay in that part of NYS is considerably higher than the rest of the state. Also the cost of living may be a little higher, but the jobs salaries are adjusted for it. Either way I'm sure you will like West Point. Welcome to NY.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 PM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
My question is......Why are you leaving Clarksville, which I believe is one of the fastest growing cities in Tennessee, if not the country? There's Fort Campbell close by and Austin Peay University is in Clarksville too.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 AM

52 posts, read 216,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My question is......Why are you leaving Clarksville, which I believe is one of the fastest growing cities in Tennessee, if not the country? There's Fort Campbell close by and Austin Peay University is in Clarksville too.
Well, we are military, so the reason we are leaving is directly related to the military. When the Army says move, we move!

Thanks for all of the info!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
OK everyone has stated the good... I love the area. My in-laws live about 45 minutes from there and we are a WP family.
The prox. to the city is great and you can get awesome discounted tickets for plays etc.. Ton of outdoor actvities right on or near post.
Bear Mtn is a great place, lots of hiking nearby etc...

Fall is my favorite time of year there...sept and Oct beautiful sunny crisp days.

So I will give you some bad...don't go in with rose colored glasses etc...
Some of the on post housing is in great need of repair...some has been re-done and is very nice. (are you officer or enlisited?)
Since 9/11 getting on and off post can be a real hassel...esp during game days..reunion times and grad week etc...
The back gate (by stoney lonesome) is a great way for residents to get on and off with out going through the main gate hassel...but it does get closed off at certin times etc...

THE GREY times.... winter can be grey and a bit depressing drizzle cold rain...etc... cadets hate the time from Jan-spring break. sometimes the grey fog seems to just settle over post and sit for days...

OFF post houing is expensive...you should have no problem with getting on post though.

anything else I can help with let me know... we will be there in Oct for reunion. DM me for any direct questions...

Old 03-07-2009, 01:22 PM

91 posts, read 308,492 times
ah, West Point, my rockbound, highland home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York