Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:58 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,700 times

Advertisements

I have been in Florida for about three years, and I am completely done. I have some professional courswork to finish here, and then I am out. I don't care if I have to beg for change and eat bark to survive, I'm bringing my family back to Western New York. I'll run around the Southern Tier, in a deerskin loin cloth hurtling rocks at squirrels if that what it takes. I'll melt snow for water... whatever. I don't even care where we live, if it's in a snow belt, our house sucks, heating bills are high... I terribly miss WNY. The only bad thing I can say is that every March/April I go a little nuts when the weather oscillates between winter/spring. Other than that, WNY smashes everywhere I have lived.

This happens to me every fall, but this year is by far the worst.

I'll be back upstate for a wedding next weekend and I can barely contain myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 12:59 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,473 times
Having left the NorthEst more than 10 yrs ago, I say follow your heart, you will be a happier person for both you and your family....I have lived in Floriduh for many years, and the Fall is something I miss terribly, the leaves falling, those crisp mornings, applie picking, hiking........and the yummy smell of apple pie cooking. Yes, follow your heart and good luck on your relocation

Old 10-04-2008, 06:48 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,514 times
Same here, moved from Syracuse to Las Vegas 6 or 7 years ago and moving back within the next few months--hopefully before winter ends

Old 10-06-2008, 12:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Come on you guys...its the SUNBELT! Haven't you heard that everything is perfect and heavenly after you go south of the Mason Dixon line and West of the Rockies? Who want's SEASONS!?! Or history and charecter!?! It's all about newer, larger houses, no snow in the winter, and everything being shiny and new!!!!!! The only places worth living are Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, Florida, and the Carolinas...DUH!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 AM

623 posts, read 1,817,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Come on you guys...its the SUNBELT! Haven't you heard that everything is perfect and heavenly after you go south of the Mason Dixon line and West of the Rockies? Who want's SEASONS!?! Or history and charecter!?! It's all about newer, larger houses, no snow in the winter, and everything being shiny and new!!!!!! The only places worth living are Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, Florida, and the Carolinas...DUH!
This is what Las Vegas has too offer.....

Newer Houses (anything over 20 years old is usually in a bad neighborhood or in bad shape because of what the heat does)

Sure theres no snow, but for someone who is used to seasons 360 days of sunshine gets boring real quick plus when it does rain it does so for all of about 5 minutes

Bugs--big nasty bugs--scorpions, nasty spiders, and water bugs (or as known on the east coast--cockroaches--and every house has them no matter how fancy

Unless its gambling or drinking related not much too do, the wife and I like flea markets and the closet thing here are called swap meets, and its usually a bunch of illegals that cant speak english selling fake IDs, and club wear

Language barriers--clark county is mostly hispanic and the majority of those refuse to speak or learn english

Terrible water--out water supply comes out of lake mead(which is where waste water goes) its heavily chlorinated, and heavy in minerals. Its so bad that the only thing its advised to use for is cleaning and showering

Californians--for some reason they totally love themselves, and want to be treated like rockstars

thats not all but it in a nut shell. Now, can you see why I cant wait to get home?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:19 AM

haha yes...just to clear up any confusion, that last post of mine was made in jest. I too moved from Upstate NY to the "heaven" that is North Carolina and lived there for almost 13 years before finally returning to Rochester last summer. NC wasn't TERRIBLE but definitely overrated and we really missed home...even after all those years.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,700 times
The Southern Tier, from my flight home this morning.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/IMG_1607v.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-14-2008, 03:20 PM

121 posts, read 382,875 times
I hear ya muggy. I miss "real" fall too. I just about lost it when I was in the Fresh Market (1/4 the size of wegmans and 75% more expensive) and saw Apple Cider made outside of Rochester NY! good times.

I also feel the IMPENDING need to get back home.....but why do we have to eat squirrels and make snow-water???? That is what irks me about it all. I see complete geniuses working in grocery stores in upstate ny or other lower-level jobs, and complete morons working in high-powered business, and other jobs in other areas of the US like the south or the southwest. It makes me so mad, but I'll shut up!!!!!!!!!!!

And while I'd love to, I can't knock NC for the 90 min drive I have to beautiful mountain views where the leaves are changing (just started) and offer views more spectacular than any place in NY.......so it isn't all a vast wasteland.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
In my life I have done 8 years in NYC and LI and 15 in Rochester.

How you folks can love that hell hole just blows me away. Gray ugly winters followed by spring of ultimate mud and gray...vacillating between light snow and freezing rain. One December the sun never showed...not even for an instant. Ice storms destroying all the trees in large areas. Roads so slippery even the busses and eighteen wheelers in the ditch.

Then comes summer. Hot and humid and loaded with mosquitoes. And cockroaches and black widows everywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
This is what Las Vegas has too offer.....

Newer Houses (anything over 20 years old is usually in a bad neighborhood or in bad shape because of what the heat does)
As opposed to 80 year old firetraps with mildewed siding and sagging chimneys?

Quote:
Sure theres no snow, but for someone who is used to seasons 360 days of sunshine gets boring real quick plus when it does rain it does so for all of about 5 minutes
YOu prefer weeks with no sunshine? Icey drizzle down the back of your neck? Waist deep snow? Mud everywhere making walking to the mail box a challenge. Cars with rotted bottoms from years of salted highways?

Quote:
Bugs--big nasty bugs--scorpions, nasty spiders, and water bugs (or as known on the east coast--cockroaches--and every house has them no matter how fancy
As opposed to the mosquitoes and cockroaches and ticks and fleas of upstate? Lime disease?

Quote:
Unless its gambling or drinking related not much too do, the wife and I like flea markets and the closet thing here are called swap meets, and its usually a bunch of illegals that cant speak english selling fake IDs, and club wear

Language barriers--clark county is mostly hispanic and the majority of those refuse to speak or learn english
Clark County is about 1/3 hispanic the vast majority of which are as good American as are you...just the bigotry that makes you feel otherwise. The swap meets are on a par with most places and tend more toward the flea market than those in CA. Sure a lot of hispanics...they are a majority of the poor in Las Vegas and care about swap meets. I have done them all multiple times and have never seen anyone selling ID.

Quote:
Terrible water--out water supply comes out of lake mead(which is where waste water goes) its heavily chlorinated, and heavy in minerals. Its so bad that the only thing its advised to use for is cleaning and showering
Water quality is high though it is hard. Common to use a softener and RO for drinking. More for taste though then any problem with quality. Vastly better than the well water in vaste sections of upstate NY.

Quote:
Californians--for some reason they totally love themselves, and want to be treated like rockstars

thats not all but it in a nut shell. Now, can you see why I cant wait to get home?
Ex Californians are the largest group in Las Vegas exceeding the natives. So the nature of the town is a CA city...kind of LA east.

And from all of us in Las Vegas...don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Same to you chief! When you run out of water for your irrigated golf courses....don't come crying to us asking for Great Lakes water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York