Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:00 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,959,093 times

Advertisements

I just repped ya, Whitewolf508! I have missed living in your area for over 20 years now. I visit frequently & always wish I could move back. Your post has REALLY made me homesick for my "second" home. Thx!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,597 times
Default Dutchess County

If you are looking for rural with good schools, you might try Millbrook (Washington) or Pawling. The towns on the eastern edge are poor and really cannot afford good school systems. However, the housing is less expensive. Avoid the City of Poughkeepsie.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:58 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,648,461 times
If your looking at good schools, I'd suggest that you look into the Arlington District-Lagrange/Pleasant Valley areas. For one that has an IB program at it's high school-Red Hook is the way to go. Excellent program they have there-we were looking into it at one point. Wappingers is OK-I can say that since I went there and my kids have too. Fishkill Plains side of town would be a good area to be in. There's rentals in any area-you just have to look or have some one look for you. I've lived here my whole life and it's greatly changed from a rural community to an urban. The Eastern part of the county is pretty much how it was almost all over when I grew up here-we had over 500 farms back then-we are down to I think 35. Some areas have higher congestion-Southern Dutchess by Fishkill I hear a lot of people comparing it to Central Ave in Yonkers on how high the traffic is. The City of Poughkeepsie is the only blight the county has right now-yes it has some nice areas-but some even during the day you don't want to be in.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:37 AM

382 posts, read 1,532,796 times
What about the southern part of the city of Poughkeepsie - south of Hooker Avenue? There seems to be a lot of nice houses there.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:53 AM

There are nice houses there-but the riff raff likes to go through the neighborhoods there. I'd stay away from anywhere in the City of Poughkeepsie. I've lived here my whole life and I'd never walk down that area now alone. It's a shame too but the blight that lives in the City are spreading out toward those areas. I was down near there the other day taking my child to an appointment with a cardiologist and got verbally abused by a low life coming out of the Dr's-he was cursing up a blue streak in a children's Dr's office-I said "SHHH" and he went NUTS! I don't do any business if I can avoid it in any part of the City. The county's most notorious serial killer lived just a few blocks from Hooker.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM

47 posts, read 100,326 times
I have been looking to rent in the town of poughkeepsie and almost found a single family house to rent with my section 8 voucher but the owner didnt feel comfortable in which i understand, one bad apple does spoil the whole bunch . I will have a job when I get up to poughkeepsie I dont live off of the government except for the section 8 voucher. One thing I do not want to do is live in a house with 5 other tenants ... right now I live in the riverdale section of the bronx so I really have no complaints, I just need a job and they are offering me one but the drive from the bronx to poughkeepsie will be way to much for me and I have 2 little ones here in the bronx that go to school and i do not want to be so far away from. If all else fails I guess I will stay in the bronx but I would prefer to be in poughkeepsie and I will not move to poughkeepsie city that would be a no no for me. its frustrating because I have the "section 8" taboo behind me, but I wont give it up especially not at this time when the economy is at its worse. Good luck to all who are purchasing homes and can rent without the taboo ...

Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM

Moderator cut: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted

Unfortunately we see more and more of this behavior moving up to this area. Not everyone from the lower counties acts like this-but it stereotypes eveyone when certain ones come in here with big attitudes and mouths to boot. My Hubby was in Shoprite the other day. Two women with the definite NYC accent were standing in line and he said they could be heard across the store-discussing batteries. Why the need to be the center of attention or the loudest you can be. It's like when I drive a school bus and tell the kids to use their indoor voices. You don't have to talk so loud they can hear you on the next block.

If I hear one more person who moves up here ask me why on would I chose to live my whole life just here-I'll scream. I am ready to run for the hills and move to farmland just to get away from some of what's moved in here. Like I said-it's not all that have-it's the few that make me twitch.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-20-2010 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York