Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 33,773 times

Advertisements

Hello

Can anyone tell me a little bit about Poughkeepsie? Is it a growing area? Me and my husband are thinking about starting a business in the area but are not that familiar with the economics there. What are the home values? If this is not a good business area, any suggestions as to where is? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 01:02 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times
Po-town is still a little rough around the edges, although the areas around the town area doing quite well due to the exodus of many folks from the NYC area.
The city is very reasonable...but there are external variables that cause a lot of people to stay out of the city. The situation is improving though..and a lot of people are making the move up and are renovating a lot of the beautiful houses in the city proper. It always takes some pioneering spirits to come in and start the reniassance.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:21 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
I wouldnt start a business in the CITY of poughkeepsie...but I would focus on route 9 south of there....its BOOMING....very desperate housewife "ish"...tons of shopping (at least for dutchess county)..and its only going to get better....every new strip mall that I see even off of nine.....gets leased out pretty quickly....just depends on what you want to do, and your market.

I would avoid the CITY of poughkeepsie..you maybe able to get away with the town..but it wont hold as much traffic as the main shopping venue of route 9.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 33,773 times
Po-town is still a little rough around the edges, although the areas around the town area doing quite well due to the exodus of many folks from the NYC area.
The city is very reasonable...but there are external variables that cause a lot of people to stay out of the city. The situation is improving though..and a lot of people are making the move up and are renovating a lot of the beautiful houses in the city proper. It always takes some pioneering spirits to come in and start the reniassance.

What do you mean when you say "external variables" are causing people to stay out?

Old 03-30-2007, 12:27 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times
Vassar is separated from downtown. Two really different worlds. The downtown area still has a lot of drug related crime and is a little rough around the edges. Its a larger Kingston (just MHO).

Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Vassar is located in the Arlington end of Poughkeepsie. There are some shops that the students frequent down there. But you do still have to worry about crime(some of the apt. complexes off Fulton and near the arterial are dicey.) Down by the plazas off 44 by the town highway it's needing a overhaul to bring it into the new century. Just up 44 a bit near Adams is a new plaza complete wth Starbucks, Arlington Liquors, CVS, bank and a small eatery. The 44 corridor east towards Millbrook is rapidly expanding-new business are coming in that area since new homes are going in around the Pleasant Valley/Millbrook/Clinton Corners areas. Millbrook used to be considered the area of the posh here in Dutchess. Mary Tyler Moore, Dr. Joyce Brothers all consider it home.

I'd stay away from the Main Street area of Poughkeepsie on the upper end. It's not the place that people will go to after the sun goes down anymore. Down on lower main, at one time it was great to hang out at the River Station and restaurants down there. That area is starting to improve slowly again. Still a bit rough. But they are trying to bring back the river front and develop it more to bring in tourism dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York