Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 04:57 PM

26 posts, read 86,478 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family just moved to Mahwah, NJ which borders Rockland county. I don't know Rockland county at all and wonder what points of interests, private schools, great restaurants, things to do, etc. we should investigate in Rockland county?
Any recommendations you can provide?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM

32 posts, read 91,967 times
Default Bear Mountain

Bear Mountain should be about 30 minutes away from you. There is skiing, sledding, and ice skating there.

New York State Parks :: Bear Mountain State Park

Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Mahwah I believe has Campgaw Park which I think was described as the Central Park of Bergen County. There is even skiing around there. In addition not too far from you in Rockland County - you have the huge Harriman-Bear Mountain state parks. Of course the NY State Thruway is right there - and you can easily shoot right up to the Catskills or the Hudson Valley. The newly completed I-287 can take you south to the Jersey shore.

I think you are in a very nice spot!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:08 PM

345 posts, read 643,267 times
As far as towns go, I semi-live in Suffern. To give you an idea of proximity to Mahwah, I'm fairly certain that if I took a pee in the backyard and arched it properly...I'm preeety sure I could hit Jersey soil. Similar to what LINative mentioned, the Thruway and I-287 are just a few minutes away via NJ Route 17. Good community as well.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 AM

701 posts, read 3,326,165 times
One of the finest restaurants in the entire metropolitan area is in Piermont, in Rockland County -- Xavier's. Of course, it's very expensive, and a difficult reservation. On the cheap eats side, some of the best pizza in the region can be found at the "Nanuet Hotel," a complete hole in the wall, that makes amazing pizza.

For shopping, you obviously have plenty of malls in New Jersey, but you're also about 20 minutes from the Palisades Mall, which I believe is the largest mall in the northeast. In addition to a massive movie mega plex, Imax theater, there is also an ice rink, ferris wheel and carousel. For more quaint shopping experiences, Piermont and Nyack are both nice places to walk around, visit an antique shop or gallery,or take in a nice restaurant. There are some wonderful Hudson River views from both those towns as well.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
there's Greenwood Lake which I think is half in NY and half in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York