Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 12,154 times

Advertisements

Hi, we currently live in nyc (i grew up on long island)...we have 2 kids ages 4 and 6, and we want to move asap to Rockland County or Westchester...
We are thinking about Blauvelt only b/c we saw a nice house there and it is close to the city, but don't know much about the town.
My husband grew up in New City but we feel that is too far up on the Palisades Parkway...we are also considering Chappaqua in Westchester but that is far as well....
From my research...Chappaqua has amazing schools and is very family-friendly....the only negative is that it is far and supposedly "snobby"....but I love that it has a nice "main street" with shops that have the day-to-day necessities, and lots of activities for kids. But, we would rather be in Rockland.
Does anyone have an opinion on Blauvelt/Chappaqua?
Also, we are looking for a nice town, upper class, great school district, family-friendly, a town that has the day-to-day necessities, such as supermarket, drugstore, bagel store, ice cream shop, diner, good pizza/chinese food....park/playground....I know that New City has all these things but we are not looking to go that far up the Palisades.
Also, we are Jewish and would like somewhat of a Jewish population.
Any info you can give us would be most helpful!!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:18 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
What about the Nyacks? http://www.nyack-ny.com/

http://www.nyack.org/

http://templebethtorah.org/index.cfm?

http://www.csinyack.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Nyack,_New_York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-11-2009 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,219,310 times
Default Choose Chappaqua!!!

Westchester has it all over Rockland County......and although Blauvelt is a great town and will offer you almost everything you could possibly want...other than perhaps a large Jewish population...I would choose Chappaqua everytime over Blauvelt...

Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
If you're commuting to NYC then it makes more sense to stay on the EAST side of the Hudson. That river will add a LOT of time to your commute.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
What about Scarsdale, Croton, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Rye or maybe even Whites Plains, if Westchester is an option?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
It all depends on the price point. Real estate taxes are very high all over Westchester, Rockland and Orange counties, but especially in Westchester.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM

701 posts, read 3,326,487 times
When you say "too far," not sure what you mean. Far from where? I have lived in Rockland and Westchester. Currently live in Chappaqua, I grew up in New City. (and have lived in a few other towns as well).

Chappaqua is much closer to the city than any point in Rockland. Mileage-wise, Blauvelt might be a few miles closer, but Chappaqua is closer in terms of travel time. Especially by mass transit, Chappaqua is under an hour by Metro North to midtown. There are no equivalent mass transit options from Rockland. In terms of driving, from Rockland you need to cross the often-backed up George Washington Bridge (or another busy portal into NYC). You save that headache coming from Westchester.

Comparing Blauvelt to New City -- Still not sure what you mean by "too far." From northern-most New City, it is only an additional 15 minutes to Blauvelt. Comparing a drive from Blauvelt to NYC, compared to New City to NYC, there is probably only about a 5 minute difference.

If being "close" to NYC for work is a high priority, then Westchester has big advantages. If work-commute is not a major issue, you will get much more for your money in Rockland over Westchester.
In Rockland, you may want to search by school district, instead of by town. West Nyack basically borders Blauvelt, but it is Clarkstown schools (with New City). Blauvelt is S. Orangetown Schools, which allows you also to look in Piermont, Tappan, and the rest of South Orangetown.

Both are very good school districts, and both areas have significant Jewish populations.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM

151 posts, read 714,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If you're commuting to NYC then it makes more sense to stay on the EAST side of the Hudson. That river will add a LOT of time to your commute.
I am no more than a few minutes from that last exit next to the TZ bridge as is most of Nyack and Grandview. It is not so bad from here since even when the traffic is bumper to bumper it is only for those 3 miles across the bridge. Once on the other side you can get off the first exit near the Metro North station in Tarrytown for the rest of the city trip.

But the rest of Rockland would add a significant amount of time to the commute unless the OP plans to try to bus it. The Peal River train is 75 minutes to the Secaucus Junction then transfer from there over to Penn Station. (another 15 minutes). This does not include the time it takes to get to the station the waiting for train/transfer. Once you get into the city there is more time.

Really a no win situation over here as far as commute unless close to the TZ.

Last edited by jpicard; 07-16-2009 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 8,462 times
Default New City is the place to be

I would say hands down NEw City is the place to be. Very Jewish, Great Schools and for $800,000 you cna get an amazing home where in Chappaqua you are lucky to get a split level. I was raised on Long Island my wiofe in Rockland and we too commute to the city. It is easy. The difference between Blauvelt and New City is 10 minutes. The schools are a world of difference. Maybe rent first and the buy later.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 16,126 times
I too grew up in New City. Have also lived in West Nyack and Pearl River. All have excellent schools and the houses and taxes will be less expensive than Chappaqua. Although Pearl River is not exactly known to have alot of Jewish people it does have a temple. My Mom is is Hartsdale in Westchester and I would never move there- its so crowded, lots of traffic, etc. I'm now in Orange County and would move back to Rockland in a sec if I could afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York